Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 10:42 AM

1,574 posts, read 4,753,572 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
I would really love to know what y'all do on New Year's Eve. We have a family w/3 young children and used to do First Night up in NJ. I'm looking for something inexspensive and family friendly.

I'd also love to hear what you do with your families or friends. Traditions, favorite foods, things like that.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 01:36 PM

46 posts, read 202,933 times
Charlotte discontinued First Night festivities due to disruptive crowds. My kids are no longer little, but when they were, we had a fun night at home feasting on fondue, watching old movies and putting family photos in scrap books. Now the hubby and I celebrate with an expensive home-made feast of lobster and champagne.

If you haven't taken your kids to the outdoor ice rink in uptown, that would be a good thing to do - it runs until January 6. Or you could go to McAdenville to see the lights. There will certainly be someone in your neighborhood setting off illegal fireworks (they're out there every year) and you can enjoy the show - garden hose at the ready to put out any fires!

Old 12-08-2007, 01:44 PM

674 posts, read 803,853 times
First Night was actually cancelled due to lack of funding. It was the July 4th festvities that got out of hand.

I miss First Night
It was good for people with kids and for adults.

Old 12-08-2007, 04:22 PM

Thanks hazard. I've already had a taste of the fireworks in my neighborhood!

We were actually going to head over to McAdenville tomorrow. I didn't realize they kept their lights on through New Year's Eve.

Thank you for the ice skating suggestion. I like that! I think my two older kids would have a blast. Something tells me though, that I'd be chasing my 2 yr.old son around while my husband is laughing it up skating with our girls...., call it Mom's intuition.

So ncisgreat, with a user name like that you MUST have a suggestion or 2!

Old 12-09-2007, 09:16 AM

I am doing some reasearch on NYE stuff right now....I'll post back here!

Old 12-10-2007, 02:56 PM

2,560 posts, read 8,549,726 times
Alot of events like the 4th of July Fireworks was moved out of Uptown (moved to Memorial Stadium) due to almost riots...and the Uptown/Downtown countdown was probably also stopped due to riots also. Might have also been lack of funding but when you have uncontrollable kids ruining everything that puts a damper on others. Most parents have NO idea where there kids are or what they are doing. Sad but true. Kids wanna act like thugs then punish them like thugs.

Old 12-10-2007, 03:17 PM

4,729 posts, read 19,420,454 times
Try a church...they usually have good events for families on NYE

Old 12-11-2007, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Try a church...they usually have good events for families on NYE
I'm a member of one church and visit another quite frequently. Unfortunately, neither one has anything going on for NYE.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Come on, I know somebody must have a nice idea or two!

Old 12-11-2007, 06:44 AM

Okie dokie, here are some family friendly (and just plain friendly) ideas:

-Bobcats game at the arena followed by ice skating?
-Some of the bowling alleys have NYE stuff (like Centennial lanes on S. Blvd, kids love that right?)
-NYE Mystery Dinner at Lowe's Motor Speedway Old Courthouse Theatre Home

Ugh, I hate to say it, but there is not a lot going on that I can find for families
For adults, there is a party at every bar, but ugh, that's like every other night.

If I had kids, I'd probably organize something for the neighborhood-- there are a few realtors I know who offer a bouncy house (first come first serve) for free. You could borrow or rent one for the kids, have games and face painting (which you all could do, you don't need to hire someone), have food and maybe some wine for the adults.

Either that or I am going to spend the next 12 months planning a Charlotte family friendly NYE event-- I can make some money and give people a place to go, LOL!

Old 12-11-2007, 07:05 AM

219 posts, read 964,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Charlotte View Post
We were actually going to head over to McAdenville tomorrow. I didn't realize they kept their lights on through New Year's Eve.

McAdenvilole only keeps lights on until 12/26 as per their web site
Melissa
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte