Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2014, 11:31 PM

645 posts, read 1,068,785 times

Advertisements

I'm all for competition, and heaven knows, Charlotte cabs need a little more competition. I don't know if the ride share phenomenon is such a good idea. If the people are charging (as an ad for Uber implied), they'll need a business license and commercial insurance. Do Uber and Lyft require their drivers to have these things?

While taking a cab from a JFK into NYC can be a harrowing experience with a third world driver who got his green card a month ago and learned to drive a week ago can be harrowing, at least these guys work for companies that provide a reliable automobile, drivers who have undergone criminal checks, and insurance. Can Uber and Lyft provide the same degree of safety?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 01:52 AM

467 posts, read 1,496,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryBGood View Post
I'm all for competition, and heaven knows, Charlotte cabs need a little more competition. I don't know if the ride share phenomenon is such a good idea. If the people are charging (as an ad for Uber implied), they'll need a business license and commercial insurance. Do Uber and Lyft require their drivers to have these things?

While taking a cab from a JFK into NYC can be a harrowing experience with a third world driver who got his green card a month ago and learned to drive a week ago can be harrowing, at least these guys work for companies that provide a reliable automobile, drivers who have undergone criminal checks, and insurance. Can Uber and Lyft provide the same degree of safety?
The last cab I was in (in charlotte) the driver was VIDEO SKYPING his wife in PAKISTAN while driving and let me wave hello to her as we were driving down Kings Dr. I cannot wait for the cab industry to vanish like blockbuster video.

Tangent: I'm so tired of over-regulation.. like requiring a license for someone to cut my hair, give a back massage, or replace my air conditioner.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:38 AM

3,451 posts, read 3,910,193 times
There very popular here in NY. Many off the Yellow Taxi Cabs here discriminate against minorities

Old 09-15-2014, 11:07 AM

564 posts, read 1,454,004 times
Uber rocks. I have used them here in Charlotte and it has been great everytime. They are now in Charleston and the Charleston police have said they will fine any Uber driver. I Ubered in Charleston and an actual cab driver showed up. He was really nice with a clean mini van. He said when he doesn't have regular taxi fairs he runs Uber calls.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:06 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,833,772 times
Charleston is a little nuts when it comes to their regs regarding cabs and limo service. My brother drove one for a while and told me how stupid they can be. One instance was he had to refuse a fare because he wasn't a taxi, but was considered a car service or limo. The passenger-to-be had to call in and ask for his car rather than just jump in and go. It certainly made me scratch my head and I'm sure that didn't do a good job explaining it at all.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:39 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Technology pushing forward against silly local government regulations. There is nothing wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte