Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2014, 08:37 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,832,216 times

Advertisements

MODS, I am not sure this is in the right place. It is regarding the local EOG's.

Kid took the Science EOG and was a bit upset as it had an entire section that wasn't covered at all in her class. She even reviewed her notes to see if she forgot about it. (they take regular notebook quizzes and she is a good note taker) She also asked several of her classmates who also commented they knew nothing about this section of the EOG's as well.

Has your kids mentioned this regarding their EOG? Something that wasn't taught in class but was in the EOG? I also wonder with the new level 5 added, how the scores will be overall. Would you email/contact the school about the section that wasn't taught? I hate to be "that" parent...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2014, 08:42 AM

533 posts, read 936,977 times
To my understanding, everything on the EOGs should be covered in class. The kids even took practice EOGs few months ago.

Email their teacher? That's what I would do. Teacher might also have a website blog you can ask/post on.

Yeah, we get weekly Emails from one of my kid's teachers. It's rather nice esp being a public school and all. I was not expected that.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloante74 View Post
To my understanding, everything on the EOGs should be covered in class. The kids even took practice EOGs few months ago.

Email their teacher? That's what I would do. Teacher might also have a website blog you can ask/post on.

Yeah, we get weekly Emails from one of my kid's teachers. It's rather nice esp being a public school and all. I was not expected that.
This is middle school so we rarely get emails from the teachers. And I am hands off at this point as I think kid is old enough to handle issues on her own. I did tell her to talk to the teacher today about it as she can give her the specific questions that she didn't know about. She is hesitant as this teacher is the least liked and a bit confrontational. So that's why I was considering emailing her. I will talk to kid some more and get the specifics. I also sent an email to another mom I know and see what she says.

Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM

533 posts, read 936,977 times
Gotcha.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:18 PM

14 posts, read 48,187 times
momtothree, I handle things the exact same way, let the kids learn to handle these things. I guess if the teacher denies or is difficult with your child, you could also just send a "head's up" email to the teacher, saying you are not really complaining but is it normal for this to happen and you aren't the only parent whose child felt the material wasn't covered and you wanted her to know in case the score is bad.

If the whole class feels that they didn't learn it, they will all miss that and it will be clear it wasn't covered. These things are to evaluate the teacher as well.

Finally, it probably won't affect anything as I don't think the science EOG really affects much, even placement in HS science classes. If you have an 8th grader that might be your excuse to ask the guidance counselor if you should be concerned.

Old 05-29-2014, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmom View Post
momtothree, I handle things the exact same way, let the kids learn to handle these things. I guess if the teacher denies or is difficult with your child, you could also just send a "head's up" email to the teacher, saying you are not really complaining but is it normal for this to happen and you aren't the only parent whose child felt the material wasn't covered and you wanted her to know in case the score is bad.

If the whole class feels that they didn't learn it, they will all miss that and it will be clear it wasn't covered. These things are to evaluate the teacher as well.

Finally, it probably won't affect anything as I don't think the science EOG really affects much, even placement in HS science classes. If you have an 8th grader that might be your excuse to ask the guidance counselor if you should be concerned.
The teacher made an announcement that they will learn that section in the upcoming week and not to worry. Apparently she had gotten a slew of emails/calls/comments on it. I hope they learn from this and make sure it doesn't happen again as you mentioned, it could affect a child's ability to go into an honors class etc.

Old 05-29-2014, 07:52 PM

44 posts, read 111,126 times
A couple comments from someone who has worked in the state of NC both as a classroom teacher and in testing:

1. The directions of the EOG directly state that students may not discuss any of the content of the test with teachers or other students. Okay, I know that's not realistic AT ALL, but the teacher honestly will not be able to field any questions directly related to the test. Teachers are NOT allowed to read any part of any EOG test. (Crazy, right??)

2. Teachers are told what to teach. Then this test comes around. A test that teachers cannot see or discuss in any way, shape, or form (kind of like Fight Club!). But there have been times that the test is not aligned to the curriculum, especially if your child is in 6th or 7th grade. (Note: I am making no comment on this year's test- I'm commenting on past years)

3. If you want to know how the test is aligned with the curriculum, the middle school science curriculum can be found at Science - Middle Grades Resources. This website should answer your question as to whether or not the material was supposed to be covered.

As a teacher, if I received a concern from you as you stated in your original post, I would absolutely NOT consider you one of "Those Parents" (using your words). Your question wouldn't bother me in the least, although a teacher really can't say much more than I've said here. Please feel free to PM me if you have any other questions! (I feel like I'm at work!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte