Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2014, 02:11 PM

12 posts, read 15,294 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend a rental broker? My fiancee took a job in Pineville and we are trying to find a basic 1 bedroom apartment near there for 6 months to get by while we learn the area. Trying to find this ourselves has proved to be quite maddening. The couple apartments we are trying to work with are ran by big property management companies that keep changing the rent, fee, and deposit amounts on us as we go through the application process. I'm getting tired of dealing with it. We are out of state, making the whole situation even more painful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2014, 03:22 PM

36 posts, read 49,104 times
Craigslist.com

Old 05-30-2014, 10:05 PM

958 posts, read 1,723,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallturtle View Post
Craigslist.com
That didn't answer their question.

A lot of real estate brokers do NOT work rentals bc. they are not compensated for their time by the listing broker. Some rental brokers are charging retainer fees.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:13 AM

1,895 posts, read 6,166,732 times
It will be difficult to find a 6 month rental right now if it is not in a complex. Private owners will usually want a year lease, especially this time of year. Likely they wont want to have to be looking for a new renter in December/January.

Old 05-31-2014, 06:29 AM

642 posts, read 1,169,847 times
Most rental agents take a lump sum, often the 1st months rent for promotion and vetting expenses and then a percentage of the gross rent. This makes it difficult for an owner like me to agree to a lease term of less than 1 year because I lose a months rent every time a tenant change happens. I use the money received to supplement my retirement income so I strongly favor longer leases.

I pass the above on so that potential short term renters understand the other side of the coin.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 05-31-2014 at 06:43 AM..

Old 05-31-2014, 10:12 PM

2,773 posts, read 5,159,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krokus View Post
Most rental agents take a lump sum, often the 1st months rent for promotion and vetting expenses and then a percentage of the gross rent. This makes it difficult for an owner like me to agree to a lease term of less than 1 year because I lose a months rent every time a tenant change happens. I use the money received to supplement my retirement income so I strongly favor longer leases.

I pass the above on so that potential short term renters understand the other side of the coin.
The only way around it is to increase the monthly rent for the 6 month (add the extra expenses and divide by 6). This should be about 20-25% more per month (includes preparing place after 6 months).

Old 06-03-2014, 09:48 PM

129 posts, read 208,401 times
You could try doing a search for Corporate Apartments on zillow or one of those sites as generally that will lead you to places that offer alternatives to a one year lease. We lived in an apt. off Sharon Road West and Park (Waterford Lakes) that did less than a year. I don't think anyone does less than a year on rental homes these days. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2014, 04:20 PM

1,863 posts, read 4,297,652 times
Bumping- any rental brokers to suggest? I've read other posts on here from people who have used one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte