U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 06:17 AM

27 posts, read 181,121 times

Advertisements

I have searched and read everything about Raleigh and not much about Charlotte, Hickory, but not at all about Concord and Kannapolis area? has anyone been there or lived there that can share opinons about it? On my end I see the home prices have not gone crazy there and it seems to be located nicely. Cabarrus County, I think, also has less taxes or a better tax for something, either property or county, I am not sure...just heard that. We going up there soon and look at Hickory and Concord just to see which one or even not either will be our pick for our new destination. (BYE BYE FLORIDA!)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2006, 05:36 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,674,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelbee
I have searched and read everything about Raleigh and not much about Charlotte, Hickory, but not at all about Concord and Kannapolis area? has anyone been there or lived there that can share opinons about it?
Concord and Hickory are two different kinds of places. Concord is more a bedroom community of Charlotte. It is easy to access the city via I-85, is close to a large shopping/restaurant area (Concord Mills, near the Lowes Speedway Removed ), and is a base for the twice yearly NASCAR race week. If you decide to visit, better check hotel availability well in advance. Race week is in …. May, I think? Check a NASCAR site for details. At that time, there’s not a room to be found within 50 miles of the race track.

Concord has a plethora of subdivisions; it’s grown astronomically since we were transplanted down here ~20 years ago. We’ve since moved to a different part of the state, but go back a couple times a year to visit Concord Mills.

Kannapolis? Welllll … right now I steer people away from there. It is a dead textile mill town; a large number of Hispanics live there. NOT THAT THERE’S ANYTHING WRONG with that population, but there has not been as much new home development in that area; mostly small, older homes that have become rental property. It is an area mostly settled by people who can’t afford to live in newer, more upscale subdivisions. Things are looking up though. Some of the mill buildings have been demolished to make way for a large research park to be developed there. It will probably make Kannapolis an up ‘n coming area in the next decade http://www.cityofkannapolis.com/NCRC_0.asp (broken link) and might be an area to keep in mind for those looking for jobs in the biotechnology field. It’s a wonder that speculators haven’t swarmed in scooping up property. Maybe they have.

I don’t know your employment objectives, but you might try Salisbury – 20 miles north of Concord. It is now what Concord was like when we first moved there. The commuting hordes have largely not discovered the town yet. The corporate office for the Food Lion grocery chain is located there, but that hasn’t made it a sprawling area. It is located off I-85 for easy traveling access. The downtown area is neat: the historic preservation advocates are quite strong. Not much in the way of shopping or entertainment if you are looking for that.

Hickory is more known as a gateway to the mountains. It likes to bill itself as a furniture mecca, but that is fading. It has a small mall, surrounded by most of the better known Big Box stores. You can see all those from I-40. It is at an intersection of major roads that take visitors up into the mountain towns of Blowing Rock and Boone. If you are thinking retirement, or a smaller, slower-paced life, I’d recommend Hickory

Last edited by Yac; 04-11-2006 at 07:52 AM..

Old 04-11-2006, 08:12 AM

Well, thank you so much. You were very helpful. My husband called a body shop in Hickory to get an interview Tues. but has not tried other locations. We are looking at Conover on Monday- house hunting day for us! And I will definately take a ride over to Salisbury and look around there. I really appreciate the heads up on the info you gave. The nascar, too. I will be watching their schedule. They even have a racetrack in Hickory I beleive as well. Def won't be going to K-appolis, coming from Fl I am trying to steer away from that. Thanks Silverwing

Old 04-11-2006, 01:56 PM

58 posts, read 330,723 times
I live in Salisbury, it is a growing community. The historic preservation is great, but there is also a lot of rentals in town. Most people don't know but a lot of the historic homes have been sectioned off and made into apartments. There is not too much to do in Salisbury, there is a small mall, a few bars, one "night club" and a lot of resturants. In the spring through fall there are tours of the homes that are still owned by single families. If your husband is in the body shop business Mooresville or Statesville might be good. This is where my brother just bought his house and it is where most of the NASCAR owners live, they have a dragstrip and a lot of people who are into cars.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:35 PM

Thank you jason. Yeah, Husband is going to like this racecar-central station. He isn't into Nascar much but loves the fast engine. He is into classic muscle cars and has a '70 nova that he's proud of. So Morrisville or Statesville...Is that also a place for more excitement (besides the cars?)
We are going next week from melbourne FL to Conover, to look around for houses and hus has an interview with someone in hickory so I think we will end up around there. Since you live in the Salisbury area and it lacks excitement, what city is best to go out for dinner or to bars that are fun (playing pool, karaoke). Is Charlotte the closest evening for fun? Or is there something closer but a smaller version?

Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 AM

58 posts, read 330,723 times
When I wanted a great night out I always went to "Center City" Charlotte, this is where all the good bars and resturants are. If you ar looking more towards pool and karaoke, a lot of people go to Concord Mills. This is a huge mall (indoor outlet center) but it also has Jillians bar and a movie theater. Jillians has pool tables, dance club, bowling, food, drinks, video games, etc. This is a little closer to me than Charlotte, but if you are going to Hickory I think that is a pretty big town with plenty to do.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:56 AM

312 posts, read 1,847,036 times
Be careful when it comes to selecting a place. I'm from FL and I had a hard time deciding where to live in NC so I describe News and Observer newspaper. There was a front-page story about people getting sick with cancer from drinking water in Salisbury.

Always to be sure to throughly research the location before making the decision (school rating, nuclear power plant, pollution level, health, job, etc). You'll find by using search engine.

Good luck in finding your new home.

Old 04-12-2006, 09:09 AM

OK, Appreciate all the help Jasonk and cakeprincess...So Cakep..what places did you come up with that were clean and safe? Did you end up there? Or are you still looking?

Old 04-12-2006, 07:28 PM

2,657 posts, read 7,674,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeprincess
Be careful when it comes to selecting a place. I'm from FL and I had a hard time deciding where to live in NC so I describe News and Observer newspaper. There was a front-page story about people getting sick with cancer from drinking water in Salisbury.

Always to be sure to throughly research the location before making the decision (school rating, nuclear power plant, pollution level, health, job, etc). You'll find by using search engine.

Good luck in finding your new home.
How about providing concise details before scaring people?

That was the case of an asphalt plant located on Jake Alexander Blvd.
http://cancer.duke.edu/docs/environm...nt+program.pdf

Quote:
Two Salisbury, NC residential neighborhoods (entire Census Tract Block Groups 513031, Milford Hills, and 513032, Meadowbrook totaling about
1561 residents) exhibited statistically significant elevated rates in primary brain cancers, lymphomas, and all cancers from 1990-2000. Pancreatic
cancers also appear to be increased. The authors previously reported in their
retrospective health study a three-fold increase in death by suicide and about 6 fold increase in primary brain cancers in the same two Salisbury largely middleclass neighborhoods, situated immediately downwind from two asphalt facilities, a chlorinated solvent contaminated former NC Department of
Transportation asphalt testing laboratory, and two petroleum contaminated
remediation sites. In this BREDL community study, using data from death
certificates, calls by area families, and community volunteer reports, the authors found significantly elevated brain and blood cancer rates.
Unfortunately, the regulation of asphalt plants has been spotty in NC, with measures only recently being discussed. In fact, there is a battle going on right near the Blue Ridge Parkway
http://www.mountaintimes.com/mtweekl...haltplant.php3

As far as nuclear power plants .. while we just recently heaved a sigh of relief that plans for a nuclear power plant - to be built almost literally in our backyard - has been delayed, one has existed near Lake Norman for decades. Lake Norman is an area of very affluent homes, many owned by NASCAR drivers. Apparently they feel the risk is worth the lake lifestyle. And I guess we have to face it: the current administration has passed legislation making nuclear power plants cheaper to build and run by power companies. We may be seeing more of them being built in our communities in the future.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:11 PM

312 posts, read 1,847,036 times
Hi anglebee - no, we haven't decide where we want to live yet. We're still working on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>