Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 07:13 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times

Advertisements

For me it's the poor walkability of the city. You almost have to use a car to get anywhere. There is a grocery store within walking distance of where I live but due to the layout of the roads, you have to use a car or play ******* attempting to walk. The neighborhoods closer to Uptown tend to be more walkable though. Hopefully the light rail will change some of the car-centric culture of the University Area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2014, 01:53 PM

76 posts, read 112,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The second thing are the people. A lot of the people are too dumb to move on, and a lot more are losers, that have turned to Charlotte as an alternative to their failed life style elsewhere. Between the two groups, it is pretty stifling!
!
Is this making a reference to dating? Explain haha.

Old 07-18-2014, 01:06 AM

248 posts, read 721,891 times
Not much government jobs.. esp related to govt/international finance and development.. and that is why we have to live in DC..

Old 07-19-2014, 03:59 PM

60 posts, read 89,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
For me it's the poor walkability of the city. You almost have to use a car to get anywhere. There is a grocery store within walking distance of where I live but due to the layout of the roads, you have to use a car or play ******* attempting to walk. The neighborhoods closer to Uptown tend to be more walkable though. Hopefully the light rail will change some of the car-centric culture of the University Area.

I agree with this claim mostly based on the lack of sidewalks and crosswalks at intersections. Walking on many roads requires you to hope and pray that drivers look out of pedestrians more-so that other cities with better pathways for those on foot.

Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 PM

3 posts, read 4,759 times
I agree whole-heartedly with afiani821's comments and add the following:

7. The city is pretentious and you can definitely tell the well-off neighborhoods from the rest of the population.

8. Four words: All. Sports. Activities. Downtown.

9. First Night and 4th of July "celebrations" are in a one block area which means to me that there is ABSOLUTELY NO SUPPORT OF INDEPENDANT ARTISANS OR MERCHANTS. However, great news! Speed Week takes up every city block of the entire downtown.

10. If you're a liberal, you're a piranha.

Old 07-20-2014, 01:05 PM

415 posts, read 1,149,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raleighnative65 View Post
I agree whole-heartedly with afiani821's comments and add the following:

10. If you're a liberal, you're a piranha.
"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
HAHA! No, I am not complaining about the traffic. It was far worse in LA. Heck, it was worse last weekend in Atlanta when I was visiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
Well that's definitely relative as you said. I do find it a bit odd that "proximity to mountains and beaches" is often touted as a positive for Charlotte considering they're both at least 2 hours, but parts of CA might be the only places that really have proximity to both beaches and mountains, so I guess it really is an advantage because you can take weekend trips to either. I'm not a huge mountain guy, I would probably be even happier without any mountains nearby if the beaches were a little closer.

But I see you're not complaining about the traffic :-).

The thing I dislike about Charlotte the most is the clay. Freakin' hate that stuff.

Old 07-21-2014, 08:29 PM

182 posts, read 554,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taco14 View Post
Hey All,

I love the city of Charlotte! The people are nice, the weather is beautiful, the culture is rich. I was recently telling a friend of mine about all of the positives of the city. She then asked what I liked LEAST about Charlotte. I really couldn't come up with much. I'm curious...What things do you dislike about the city? What do you hate?
Lack of good Caribbean food :/. Other than that I love the city.

Old 07-27-2014, 06:13 PM

45 posts, read 91,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondGirl View Post
Lack of good Caribbean food :/. Other than that I love the city.

On the topic of food....I'm coming from the Midwest. What types of cultural food can I look forward to in Charlotte and NC in general?

Old 07-27-2014, 07:17 PM

5,443 posts, read 4,675,872 times
Never lived here, but I remember having a conversation with a gentleman who when I asked which city he disliked the most, he pointed to Charlotte. He had a job working for different companies, and living in different cities for months on end.

Personally I can't say about it, but I would love to visit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte