U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 07:48 AM

369 posts, read 345,426 times

Advertisements

Hello. I am seriously considering a move to Charlotte in either May or June of 2008 should things work out that way when I graduate. I have heard a lot of good things about the area. I have heard that it is a clean city, that it is diverse yet all of the people get along well, that it is a good city for African Americans (and anyone), etc.

But I do not really know many people in Charlotte. I am aware of some older relatives, but I would like to know what is the best way to meet new people in my age group to know and hang out with. Unfortunately, I am a shy, black male so bars and clubs are 'ok', but I believe it would be better if I had some other outlets of knowing or meeting people since I'm rarely the type of person to strike up conversations with strangers since I do not know how they will react. I tend to hate rejection. Go figure.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 07:53 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,287,600 times
What are some of the things you like to do other than bars? That will help with reccomendations for you.

If you start chatting with someone, chances aer they are not going to just blow you off. Now, trying to hit on some of the girls uptown is a different story. :P

Just be freindly and you'll be good.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:05 AM

4,280 posts, read 10,688,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
but I would like to know what is the best way to meet new people in my age group to know and hang out with
Are you an adult or in junior high school?
Hard to believe an adult would have to ask such a question.

The easy answers are friends in your new office upon employment, church (if so inclined), around your neighborhood or apartment complex, gym or YMCA. My firm advice would be to secure employment before moving here, especially if you do not already have a local network in place.

Easiest way to obtain a friend is to be a friend.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:28 PM

6,955 posts, read 7,888,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lucas View Post
Hello. I am seriously considering a move to Charlotte in either May or June of 2008 should things work out that way when I graduate. I have heard a lot of good things about the area. I have heard that it is a clean city, that it is diverse yet all of the people get along well, that it is a good city for African Americans (and anyone), etc.

But I do not really know many people in Charlotte. I am aware of some older relatives, but I would like to know what is the best way to meet new people in my age group to know and hang out with. Unfortunately, I am a shy, black male so bars and clubs are 'ok', but I believe it would be better if I had some other outlets of knowing or meeting people since I'm rarely the type of person to strike up conversations with strangers since I do not know how they will react. I tend to hate rejection. Go figure.
It seems that down here churches would be a good approach for you if you're so inclined. There are a lot of holy-rollers down here. Not that I have any experience in that area - I gave up Catholicism for Lent in 1968. I've met most of my close friends through work. You'll be fine!

Old 12-19-2007, 07:41 PM

1,165 posts, read 2,101,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I gave up Catholicism for Lent in 1968.
One of my all-time favorite Catholic jokes! Well played my friend, well played!

Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 AM

6 posts, read 15,859 times
Some great sites for meeting other people in Charlotte are MEETin.org - Fun Events Free Events Make new friends in your city. and Meetup: World's largest community of local Meetups, clubs and groups! - Meetup.com

If you are a gal and looking to connect with other women, check out Women Of Charlotte

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM

8 posts, read 36,863 times
i moved here back in January to take a job and knew absolutely NO ONE in charlotte, so i can totally relate (though i'm not african-american, but that shouldn't matter). but.. once you meet one person.. they often introduce you to more.

if you're into sports, there are a lot of adult recreational leagues for soccer, softball, flag football, etc. i've met some really cool people playing in a soccer league.

church is another option that was mentioned before. i'm not really a religious person, though, so that wasn't something i was interested in.

and.. don't be afraid to meet your neighbors. turns out, one of mine was pretty cool and everyone around here seems to be really friendly unless (like someone said before) you're trying to hit on girls from uptown. then, you better have a nice car and a fat wallet. (:

after the initial adjustment to not knowing the streets and how to get around (charlotte will drive you crazy for the first few months if you don't have GPS).. i've found this to be a very vibrant and wonderful city to live in. even for a shy person like myself, making friends has been pretty easy.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:21 AM

19,856 posts, read 62,696,284 times
Church, work, and the neighbors are the traditional Southern ways of making friends. I met a woman who managed a store I frequented and we gradually became friends. I've met several women in my exercise group and we gradually became friends. Any activity that you really enjoy doing will lead you to people who have at least 1 matching interest! I moved across the country for work, not knowing a soul here, and I was much older than you. I found friends in my neighbors, helps that I have good ones but only 1 real friend at work. With the others, it worked out for me. Good luck!

Last edited by SouthernBelleInUtah; 04-18-2008 at 09:22 AM.. Reason: typos

Old 04-21-2008, 08:22 PM

27 posts, read 115,059 times
The Go Social Club is a great way to meet new people and get involved in fun events. Check out www.gosocialclub.com
Good Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>