Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2007, 05:46 PM

12 posts, read 79,230 times

Advertisements

I will be coming down after New Years to interview for a position in Charlotte. I will hopefully be transferring to another Division (SSD Drives) within my company, Parker Hannifin. The site is located off of Westinghouse Blvd., near the intersection of 485 & 77, southwest of the city. My wife and I have 4 kids, ranging from 7 to 18. They are all active in sports - Baseball, Soccer, and Tennis. I like to play Golf.

My questions are this:

1) Where should we consider living? Are there nice areas near where the company is?
Looking to spend $200-250k. 4+ Bedrooms. 1/2 acre+.

2) What are the best school districts?

3) How bad is the traffic? (I'm from NY, so my idea of traffic may be different than yours)

4) I may be down there by myself until my house here sells, so where should I look to rent?

5) My wife is a Medical Transcriber. Are there jobs in that field?

Thanks,

Kevin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2007, 06:03 PM

95 posts, read 384,482 times
You could live in Fort Mill SC they have very desirable schools and would be a quick commute. Traffic would be worse in the morning the evening would be great. You could get a great home down in that area.

Old 12-19-2007, 06:28 PM

12 posts, read 79,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNHomePro View Post
You could live in Fort Mill SC they have very desirable schools and would be a quick commute. Traffic would be worse in the morning the evening would be great. You could get a great home down in that area.
What issues would I face working in NC, and living in SC? (Taxes, etc.)

Old 12-19-2007, 07:09 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,145,042 times
I agree with previous poster -- Fort Mill area would probably be best. There are some areas in Union County that might work, but it would make your commute longer. I can give you the name of my accountant for tax implications, but I think there has been a thread on that already -- use the search feature. You will have many more options if the acreage requirement is not a "must have"

We also relocated from Long Island (back in 1998) and your traffic comment really hit home, so to speak. Yes, there is traffic here. For the most part, it is during rush hour. If I wanted to drive uptown in the middle of the day, it is usually a breeze.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-20-2007, 06:34 AM

5,978 posts, read 19,842,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Mfg View Post
What issues would I face working in NC, and living in SC? (Taxes, etc.)
Briefly, you would have 2 state returns for the rest of your life while this is the arrangement or you could investigate which is more beneficial...to take your NC deductions against your SC tax return or have 2 state returns. A tax accountant would be able to advise you better, but you can also go to the Dept of Rev Svcs for the state of SC to read about the guidelines. Perhaps you could model a scenario.

Living in Fort Mill and working in Westinghouse is SUCH an ideal situation! Very short commute on I-77 or you could take the backroads there depending on which side of Westinghouse you are on. Don't know of too many communities with that much land in that price range around here. Perhaps someone can jump in and point you that direction.

Good luck!

Old 01-06-2008, 02:49 PM

444 posts, read 1,644,188 times
Default reply to message

1) Where should we consider living? Are there nice areas near where the company is?

You should be able to find a great house in this price range

Fort Mill is the best

3) How bad is the traffic? (I'm from NY, so my idea of traffic may be different than yours)

Where you will be working and if you live in the general area you are looking at a small commute from Fort Mill and into Charlotte 15 min. There is golf at
River Hills and Palisades close by and the housing in both of these neighborhoods are very nice. In SC you get a better tax rate than in Charlotte

If you decide on Rock Hill you are looking at about 30 min commute to Charlotte

4) I may be down there by myself until my house here sells, so where should I look to rent?

Luckily there are lots of jobs open for this type profession and even in the area you are moving into. We have several new hospitals and clinics going into the area

Thanks,

I live in the area you are relocating to and think that you will really like the area and the children will find lots of things to do.

Good luck.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:41 AM

44 posts, read 127,365 times
you have some really nice homes down south tryon before it turns into york rd to chose from. You will be at westinghouse it like 5 minutes. get a realtor to show you all of the different homes in south charlotte in the south tryon area.

Old 01-12-2008, 01:33 PM

252 posts, read 876,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lean Mfg View Post
I will be coming down after New Years to interview for a position in Charlotte. I will hopefully be transferring to another Division (SSD Drives) within my company, Parker Hannifin. The site is located off of Westinghouse Blvd., near the intersection of 485 & 77, southwest of the city. My wife and I have 4 kids, ranging from 7 to 18. They are all active in sports - Baseball, Soccer, and Tennis. I like to play Golf.

My questions are this:

Thanks,

Kevin
Fort Mill woulod probably be your best best. The tax situation is minor for the 2 state returns. I moved from Long Island in 2004-retired LIRR conductor. (I miss Bethpage Black) Lots of golf in the area Traffic is negligible( well count me out on that , I commuted from Islip to 34th street for 25 years so my idea of traffic is much different from the natives) Probably better off renting in south Charlotte south of Westinghouse Blvd on rte 49. Lots of nice area while to decide where to move. There are so many subdivisions it is best to take your time after you arrive. The housing situation is so different here you can become overwhelmed. any question pm me
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte