Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 08:25 PM

16 posts, read 41,433 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
I'm considering buying a property that is currently zoned for Providence High School. The house that I'm considering is in the Mckee Woods area which is close to both Providence and Butler. Someone told me that they heard redistricting will be going on in the Ardrey Kell and Providence High attendance zones next school year. I'm trying to evaluate the likelihood/risk level of redistricting happening in the next few years...has anyone else heard these rumors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 09:20 PM

2,186 posts, read 4,181,346 times
That seems a bit far to be going to Butler, but this is North Carolina and you can ask your friends in Union County about nonsensical redistricting.

Here's the boundary map for the 2014-2015 school year:

http://www.cms.k12.nc.us/cmsdepartme...vidence_HS.pdf

Old 08-02-2014, 09:21 PM

93 posts, read 127,583 times
JC, i don't live in Meck, i just hope for the sake of the people of Meck County, if redistricting is a possibility, their BOE looks at UC and says "OK, here is what NOT to do"….then again, i cannot imagine another BOE hosing things up as bad as Union County did….You would really have to reach levels of incompetence never before seen to surpass this mess

Old 08-02-2014, 09:29 PM

156 posts, read 309,306 times
Wouldn't surprise me if they did rezone.
It happened to me 3 months after we closed on our house in Union County.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:53 PM

152 posts, read 193,473 times
With the growth levels in south Charlotte, it's always a rumor. Right now, that's all it is. Personally, I think that they would have a hard time working out a good redistricting plan without building a new high school as all of the high schools are pretty crowded, but that's just my opinion. Butler is a well regarded school though, so if your kids are young enough that they won't be in the shuffle, you may want to consider that you could be happy with either school zoning.

Old 08-03-2014, 12:56 PM

working out a "good" redistricting plan didn't stand in the way of UCBOE….all they needed was a crayon and a blindfold to move the lines

Old 08-03-2014, 04:43 PM

16 posts, read 41,433 times
Thanks for all of the replies. From best I can tell Butler is a good school too, but it seems like Providence is considered among the top schools in the area. My daughter is only 2.5 years old so there is a long way to go. I'm actually looking at buying this property as an investment/rental then possibly moving in once my daughter is ready to enter the public school system. If it got rezoned to something we didn't like, we would continue renting it out but was worried that it might lose value/cash flow potential and become more difficult to sell. We bought our current home in 2011 when the market was pretty gloomy and got a great price. Our current home and location is great and love everything other than the middle/high schools. The whole Union County rezoning debacle surprised me and makes me more cautious when I hear rumors about rezoning.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:46 PM

Good call JC, it should concern parents everywhere. Perfect example where politicians with ulterior motives negatively impacts an entire county

Old 08-03-2014, 07:40 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,022,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
Good call JC, it should concern parents everywhere. Perfect example where politicians with ulterior motives negatively impacts an entire county
What are these ulterior motives that you are referring to?

Old 08-03-2014, 07:42 PM

36 posts, read 53,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRST & TEN View Post
JC, i don't live in Meck, i just hope for the sake of the people of Meck County, if redistricting is a possibility, their BOE looks at UC and says "OK, here is what NOT to do"….then again, i cannot imagine another BOE hosing things up as bad as Union County did….You would really have to reach levels of incompetence never before seen to surpass this mess
Level of incompetence ? Union county has one of the best school system in NC. People never complain about incompetence of their BOE before but since now they have been redistricted and BOE and other Union County administrators have different point of view that does not align with their personal emotions, they started blaming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte