Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 04:37 PM

674 posts, read 805,236 times

Advertisements

Again, please carefully re-read my post. You were in NJ-- I specifically stated that mold and moisture is a huge problem for basements in the SOUTH, thus they are a very bad idea HERE....bonus rooms are a better option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 06:45 PM

782 posts, read 3,790,072 times
I didn't understand it myself about basements.The builder wanted 30k to put a basement in.In chicagoland it cost 10k ,but they charge 30k to give you a finish attic.Easy decision 700sf attic or 1400sf unfinish basment.It will only cost you about 4k in building material to finish a basement yourself.Some of you people talking about mold or whatever no problem.The builder should coat the outside the basement foundation to seal it.You can go a step further and coat the inside.When you finish your basement use foam insulation to stop mildew and moisture.I think(not sure) basement in the south use floating foundation,so you will have to frame from joist down to couple inches from the floor(hanging wall).

Old 12-29-2007, 08:54 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,637,408 times
I would imagine we would hit water if we were to try to build a basement. We have a wet spring in our yard. There are portions of our yard that stayed green in the biggest drought we have had in years. My large trees did just fine during the drought. This tells me their roots have run into some water supply.

I grew up in a section of North Carolina that had basements. My mother mostly kept canned goods down there. She made pine roping down there for Christmas and had a wood stove set up to do her canning, so the jars would not have to be transported. I went there when I was made to do so and got out as fast as possible. The only time I miss a basement is when the storms come. You could not get to our basement from the living section of the house. If I had a basement, I would want it that way too. My sister fell down the basement steps of her home when she was taking down some jars of food after canning. I have allergies and basements are not friendly to me.

Old 12-30-2007, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 15,778 times
I am originally from Georgia and now live in Charlotte NC. It seems that basements are not found in nearly as many homes as the south vs. the north. I lived in Pennsylvania for 3 years and you did not see a home without a basement. I belive the weather/climate is the biggest reason why most homes are not built with basements in the south. As for new construction, I would have to agree with cost and popularity. Most southerners are not generally concerned about a basement, however, as more people migrate north to south or south to north, standards are changing. Builders will have to take this in consideration eventually.

Old 12-30-2007, 08:28 AM

86 posts, read 344,700 times
When I was in the market for a house, I found that the basement lots seemed to be less then desirable. ie. steep grades

Old 12-30-2007, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booboy View Post
I didn't understand it myself about basements.The builder wanted 30k to put a basement in.In chicagoland it cost 10k ,but they charge 30k to give you a finish attic.Easy decision 700sf attic or 1400sf unfinish basment.It will only cost you about 4k in building material to finish a basement yourself.Some of you people talking about mold or whatever no problem.The builder should coat the outside the basement foundation to seal it.You can go a step further and coat the inside.When you finish your basement use foam insulation to stop mildew and moisture.I think(not sure) basement in the south use floating foundation,so you will have to frame from joist down to couple inches from the floor(hanging wall).
Once again, you clearly have never lived in the South. Your profile says you are in IL. Trust me-- it is different. This whole thread is like a bunch of westerners and northerners scratching their heads and wondering "why don't they bury more people below ground in New Orleans?"

There is a darn good reason for lack of basements: hard clay soil that is ridiculous to dig into, moisture and mold. Simple as that.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:22 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post

There is a darn good reason for lack of basements: hard clay soil that is ridiculous to dig into, moisture and mold. Simple as that.
I'm trying to figure how is the soil or mold issue so much different than the next state over (Va) where basements are more common? Even in parts of the Atlanta metro area they have more and in the Triad as others have pointed out.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:31 AM

There has not been a very clear understanding of the issue and health risks of mold until recently. Mold will KILL you. So why would you want to put a hole in the ground in a damp area and live in it unless you were a groundhog?

Yes they can be made to be dry and energy efficient, but at a greater cost than a bonus room (which you will find en masse in Charlotte). That's why there are few basements. OP's question has been answered....

Old 12-30-2007, 10:33 AM

782 posts, read 3,790,072 times
Yes us west/northeners are use to having basement.We know how useful a basement can be.To clear some of this issue up.Maybe the cost and the risk of a basement is why not.The clay soil can put lot of pressure on basement foundation walls causing cracks or the walls to cave in.The basement need proper drainage around the structure.The cost also a big factor.Having a basement can be costly mistake for owners and builders if noy done right.Maybe builders prefer not to take on the risk.As you see us west/northeners migrate down south who want basements builders are starting to listen to our wants at a price that we are willing to pay.I love being a groundhog.My basement is cool in the summer, aahhhh.Winter my basement is more warmer than my other two floors.Finish attics isn't the norm around here.When i visit some builders with finish attics,it was hot up their.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:58 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,753,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncisgreat View Post
There has not been a very clear understanding of the issue and health risks of mold until recently. Mold will KILL you. So why would you want to put a hole in the ground in a damp area and live in it unless you were a groundhog?

Yes they can be made to be dry and energy efficient, but at a greater cost than a bonus room (which you will find en masse in Charlotte). That's why there are few basements. OP's question has been answered....
Those areas don't have moisture either? I'm not saying that what your mentioning isn't validate, but it's not that big of a difference between here and let's say Va.

I personally think it has more to do with culture and the "stigma" of a basement in the area for some reason. Some of the older homes have basements, so if they could do it back then, why not now, especially now wih better technology in construction and with special sealants and anti-humidifiers to protect against the problems you mentioned.

There is obvious an interest in them, as this thread and the numerous others wouldn't have been started. Now some of the builders are started to include walk-outs in the some of the developments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte