Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2014, 01:58 PM

401 posts, read 657,047 times

Advertisements

For those who don't know, i'm staying at the Westin Charlotte hotel in uptown, and every time I come to the hotel and leave the hotel i have to tip the valet. The valet looked and still looks at me like shi*t when I give him one 5 dollar bill. I have to stay at the hotel until my apartment is situated in Concord.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2014, 02:11 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Cannot say I have used a valet much in years, read this article.

According to our research $2-$5 is pretty standard — that’s $2-$5 to the valet when you drop off your car and $2-$5 to the valet when you pick it up. All in all, look to tip between $4-$10 total for valet parking service.

Personally I think if the valet does not care for your $5 tip, then the valet is not somebody I would want to trust with my car.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:12 PM

3,365 posts, read 10,023,921 times
Sorry forgot to add the link

How to Use Valet Parking | Valet Parking Etiquette | The Art of Manliness

Old 10-16-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingscotsman View Post
I was thinking 20% of the hotel price. Its also a 4 start resort lol.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:24 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,703,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
For those who don't know, i'm staying at the Westin Charlotte hotel in uptown, and every time I come to the hotel and leave the hotel i have to tip the valet. The valet looked and still looks at me like shi*t when I give him one 5 dollar bill. I have to stay at the hotel until my apartment is situated in Concord.
A bit OT, but I thought the Westin had self parking - in case you would prefer to just park yourself, you may want to ask again about that.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
A bit OT, but I thought the Westin had self parking - in case you would prefer to just park yourself, you may want to ask again about that.
It doesn't have self parking.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:49 PM

363 posts, read 445,092 times
Transportation | The Westin Charlotte

it clearly states there is self parking. I have stayed there before, and self parked.

Old 10-16-2014, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Transportation | The Westin Charlotte

it clearly states there is self parking. I have stayed there before, and self parked.
I wasn't aware of that. $18-25, so I already payed for Valet parking, so i'm gonna need to get my moneys worth and get valet parking, he's lucky i pay him at all. I wasn't aware they snuck valet parking in my bill. I just drove up to the entrance and they took me out of the car and the desk worker said "Did you receive valet parking"
And i said yes.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:56 AM

306 posts, read 517,732 times
When I was in my last 2 years of college (graduated last year) I was a valet at the NC Music Factory and once in a while at the South Park Mall.

Average tip was $3-$5, but as the valet you don't personally keep the tip. You give it to the manager or put it in a lock box and the tips are all pooled.

I was working at a rate of $12.00 an hour (valet drivers make decent money for what they do), and you get $8.00 via paycheck, and the rest you get by cash. If the tips exceed everyone's base hourly rate for the week, you might get a few bucks extra.

However most of the guys would pocket some of the tips when nobody was looking/etc... I usually brought home around an average of $17-$20 bucks an hour. 5 dollars is a perfectly good tip... valet drivers are not like waiters who make $2.80 an hour, most of them make decent hourly pay.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:03 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
I wasn't aware of that. $18-25, so I already payed for Valet parking, so i'm gonna need to get my moneys worth and get valet parking, he's lucky i pay him at all. I wasn't aware they snuck valet parking in my bill. I just drove up to the entrance and they took me out of the car and the desk worker said "Did you receive valet parking"
And i said yes.
Did your parents get involved? I know moving as a tween is hard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte