Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,126 times

Advertisements

i am 26. I have nanny experience and live in nyc. I am taking care of a 2 and a half year old for a well to do family. they are moving to cape town Africa and would like me to go with them to help the transition of the child. they are paying for airfare and accommodations and I am staying from two weeks to a month. at home I am a server and am leaving in high season. the month I will be leaving is December to January where I usually make 500 to 800 a week... how much should I charge this family as I could possible not come back to the same job. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity and should they pay for any immunization shots to leave to south Africa or should I pay for them. I want to be as fair as possible but I don't want to short myself in anyway because I feel I might charge to much or to little
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 09:59 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,756,508 times
What a wonderful opportunity!

Even with them paying air fair and accommodations I do believe it is fair to tell them you need to be compensated for the loss of your wages at your other job which means approximately $650 a week.

Pay for your own immunizations - your insurance should cover it anyway.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:30 PM

847 posts, read 1,352,195 times
I think you should expect a lot more than $650 a week to go to Africa.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:53 AM

56 posts, read 79,604 times
Charge what they are willing to pay...not based off of your costs. But your costs will be missed opportunity. 800wk, plus you will need to still pay for your living accommodations in NY since you have to come home to something, so no benefit on that. I honestly would charge 200-350 per day for a 6-7 day work week (200 is the absolute min), room, board and expenses. Also if you dont have a passport yet have them pay for that as well. JMO

Old 10-23-2014, 08:18 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nannydontknow View Post
i am 26. I have nanny experience and live in nyc. I am taking care of a 2 and a half year old for a well to do family. they are moving to cape town Africa and would like me to go with them to help the transition of the child. they are paying for airfare and accommodations and I am staying from two weeks to a month. at home I am a server and am leaving in high season. the month I will be leaving is December to January where I usually make 500 to 800 a week... how much should I charge this family as I could possible not come back to the same job. I don't want to miss out on this opportunity and should they pay for any immunization shots to leave to south Africa or should I pay for them. I want to be as fair as possible but I don't want to short myself in anyway because I feel I might charge to much or to little
$1200 a week minimum and upfront, plus your lost wages and rent as well as immunization costs. Make sure you get it in writing, signed and notarized but preferably have them cut you a check up front. They're moving to a country with fewer worker protections and it's going to be a lot harder to track them down for your pay if they decide they don't want to pay you. "Two weeks to a month" seems awful vague to ask you to commit to and sets off my cautious radar.

Also, think if this is really an "opportunity" or just a way to make it easier for this family with no long-term benefit to you. I mean, are you going to get to see Africa or are you just going to be chasing this toddler around some isolated compound or condo for a month? Will it really help you to have this experience on your resume if it means having no job when you get back to the states? Aren't there thousands of wealthy couples right there in NY looking for nannies?

Don't mean to be a downer. But think it all the way through before uprooting yourself for someone else's gain.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:31 AM

Coped brings up some great points i wouldn't go as far as a notary, you cant do much with it any way, after all you know these people but i would defiantly have an open return ticket in hand before you leave. So if they try to negotiate when you land you can always walk. Also just ask to get paid twice a week to minimize your exposure. Money up front applied to the last week of pay is not a bad idea. They need you pretty badly trust me Ive been on a move when we left a nanny behind and it was so hard. It takes all of 2 months to find a replacement if your lucky.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM

2,603 posts, read 5,023,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itstimetomuskup View Post
Coped brings up some great points i wouldn't go as far as a notary, you cant do much with it any way, after all you know these people but i would defiantly have an open return ticket in hand before you leave. So if they try to negotiate when you land you can always walk. Also just ask to get paid twice a week to minimize your exposure. Money up front applied to the last week of pay is not a bad idea. They need you pretty badly trust me Ive been on a move when we left a nanny behind and it was so hard. It takes all of 2 months to find a replacement if your lucky.
I do see what you're saying, but I've seen so many people screwed over by this type of thinking. Honest people will have no problem signing a contract, whether you know them or not.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:20 PM

Coped, What are you going to do with a contract in South Aftrica? Or even in the U.S. , if she gets money upfront and gets paid 2x per week she has no exposure. They miss one pay period she has the back up, they miss another she walks fully compensated with ticket in hand.

Old 10-23-2014, 12:45 PM

7,672 posts, read 12,827,472 times
I agree with getting paid upfront with a week's pay. And an open ended return ticket. That way if they balk at paying her, she can go home as mentioned above.

The rates suggested here however seems a bit high. Plus you are getting the benefit of a trip to Africa, all expenses paid. I would add up what you are missing out on you job plus what you normally get paid as a nanny and ask for that.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:45 PM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
$7.25 a hour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte