Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 08:22 PM

129 posts, read 201,347 times

Advertisements

I have never moved more than locally.

Have you used a mover that you have liked and can recommend?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2014, 04:33 AM

68 posts, read 71,375 times
We didn't trust any moving company, per se, when we moved from Buffalo to Charlotte. We had so many terrible experiences in the past with large and small moving companies.

So, we rented a Pack-Rat (owned by Lowe's). They dropped it off, we packed it, they picked it back up and delivered it about 10 days later. You have a 30 day window to complete the process before they start charging extra fees. It's a bit of a hassle to be without 90% of your stuff for 10 days, but with very careful planning it can be done.

The cost is very reasonable, too. About $1,100

Good luck with your move, and welcome to Charlotte.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:41 AM

Thanks - but I am moving a 3 bedroom house with some heavy furniture so that is not an option.

I will do the packing, but I need movers to do the heavy lifting (literally)

Old 10-24-2014, 08:15 AM

625 posts, read 489,769 times
We used a guy locally, Ted's Moving, I believe he also does long distance moves as well. Do an internet search for Ted's Moving Charlotte and his web site comes up. He charges for the labor -- you pay for your own truck rental. We used him to move from our storage facility to our house.

A long distance move is expensive. You may want to consider actually selling most of your stuff and buying new here -- it may be cheaper! My move cost my company close to 20K and we had to pay for some of our own stuff out of pocket.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:17 AM

I'll check him out thanks!

I can't imagine selling everything and buying new but I guess it will all depend on the cost of the move.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:23 AM

227 posts, read 393,070 times
On thing to consider is U-pack. I used them for their relo-cube (which is like a pod, or the pack-rat that was mentioned earlier), but they also have full-sized trucks. They drop off the trailer at your house, and you pack it up. It's cheaper than a full service move, and they have phenomenal reviews across the board. Then you can separately hire laborers to load the truck in NY and unload in Charlotte.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:26 AM

I'll check it out - could be a feasible option

Old 10-24-2014, 11:59 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,216,042 times
movinghelp.com has guys who can help you load the u-packs, pod's etc for like $120 an hour... its a no brainer...

moving helpers to load the u pack unit and then ship it off.... easy peazy

Old 10-24-2014, 01:20 PM

628 posts, read 2,079,188 times
It was a long time ago but, I used Plycon..they were awesome. I highly recommend them. No hidden fees or anything.
I moved from Brooklyn..they are based in Kings Park.....Good luck and welcome.

Old 10-24-2014, 02:34 PM

28 posts, read 37,043 times
I , too, moved from LI to Charlotte two years ago. I used the recommendation of AAA and it was a pleasure. I moved the weekend after Superstorm Sandy hit. My pickup truck couldn't be fueled, no gas around, so they put it right on the truck and moved the whole deal for me. The moving company was Atlas...but it's franchised out locally....so you are dealing with local owners. Hope this helps you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: