Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 09:22 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,478,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPhils View Post
It is. OP is just trying to rile people up.
Yeppers. Just google "richest members of Congress" or "political affiliation of Billionaires in USA" and you will quickly see that the billionaires in this country are mostly registered Democrats (or have contributed huge sums to the Democratic party) and the wealthiest members of Congress are Democrats.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2014, 09:43 AM

6,319 posts, read 10,341,353 times
I'm not sure OP was really even trying to make a political point. But somewhere along the way someone convinced him that Charlotte was the second coming of NYC, London and Tokyo. When he realized it wasn't and wasn't happy here, he decided to post sarcastic comments making people think he does believe Charlotte is comparable to those cities and waiting for people to laugh at him but thus reinforce his own actual feelings. Many people fall for it, partially because this is probably at least the second username he's been doing this under.

Hopefully you are happy in Dallas OP.

Old 11-02-2014, 12:15 PM

370 posts, read 543,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator803 View Post
Thanks GoPhils and LosHogan. I am amazed people respond to the OP. When I wrote the exact same things earlier that you did, my posts were removed because I apparently was the one instigating. It's his fourth username, btw. Glad people are wising up.
I never understood how us, sniffing out an obvious troll, correlates to us trolling. if the topic were about how many billionaires we expect the city to have, sure, that's a fair discussion. But anyone with some sense knows we (Charlotte) do not belong in the posed discussion. Billionaires do not care about "cost of living", which is our forte.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:58 PM

401 posts, read 656,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
There are 3 billionaires in all of NC..... Charlotte will not be on that list in your lifetime. I can promise you that.
There are 7 billionaires in North Carolina, 4 of which are in Charlotte while the rest are in Cary, they really aren't spread out.

The ones in Charlotte-
Micheal Jordan NET WORTH 1.0 billion
Ollen Smith NET WORTH 1.6 billion
Clemmie Spangler Jr NET WORTH 2.3 billion
Leon Levine & family NET WORTH 1.0 billion

Thats according to Forbes and wikipedia.
List of U.S. states by the number of billionaires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 11-02-2014, 04:27 PM

370 posts, read 543,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
There are 7 billionaires in North Carolina, 4 of which are in Charlotte while the rest are in Cary, they really aren't spread out.

The ones in Charlotte-

List of U.S. states by the number of billionaires - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
This is actually correct. Color me shocked.

Jordan resides in Charlotte for the bulk of the year. Levine, Smith and Spangler all live within city limits.

Old 11-02-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
This is actually correct. Color me shocked.

Jordan resides in Charlotte for the bulk of the year. Levine, Smith and Spangler all live within city limits.
There might be 3 in a few years.
Spangler is 82, Levine is 77, and Smith is 87.

Hopefully Bill Gates or Oprah Winfrey gives Charlotte a try!

Old 11-02-2014, 06:47 PM

125 posts, read 243,515 times
Quote:

The ones in Charlotte-

You are correct I apologize, my research was minimal.

It would be great if more people with great wealth moved to the area. The thing is though, Charlotte does not cater to the insanely rich quite like LA and NYC do. There is simply more to do and more to spend your money on in the cities that have a large number of extreme wealth.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakekansas123 View Post
You are correct I apologize, my research was minimal.

It would be great if more people with great wealth moved to the area. The thing is though, Charlotte does not cater to the insanely rich quite like LA and NYC do. There is simply more to do and more to spend your money on in the cities that have a large number of extreme wealth.
There might actually be more, those results were taken back in 2006 except for Micheal Jordan. Some of these CEO's that live in Charlotte may soon be billionaires, you never know! I don't even know what it takes to be a millionaire.

Brian Moynihan CEO of Bank Of America (most likely)
Christopher J Kearney CEO of SPX
Lynn J Good CEO of Duke Energy (most likely)
Robert A. Niblock CEO of lowe's
Howard R. Levine CEO of Family Dollar (Probably not)
Daniel R Dimicco CEO of Nucor

Thats just a thought.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:18 PM

125 posts, read 243,515 times
Quote:
There might actually be more, those results were taken back in 2006 except for Micheal Jordan. Some of these CEO's that live in Charlotte may soon be billionaires, you never know! I don't even know what it takes to be a millionaire.

Brian Moynihan CEO of Bank Of America (most likely)
Christopher J Kearney CEO of SPX
Lynn J Good CEO of Duke Energy (most likely)
Robert A. Niblock CEO of lowe's
Howard R. Levine CEO of Family Dollar (Probably not)
Daniel R Dimicco CEO of Nucor

Thats just a thought.
Hard work, commitment, and do what you know and love. I had a mentor when I was young that helped greatly as well. There isn't a secret formula and a good portion of it turns into common sense.

The only thing with the CEO's are that when a company is public and the current CEO wasn't there on the ground floor for stock options they can be restricted to the wage the company gives them, but none the less, very rich people at the end of the day.

Old 11-03-2014, 01:47 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Charlotte is an "aspirational city", i.e. it's a city where upward mobility is possible and promoted. Cities with a large # of very rich, also tend to have a large amount of the extremely poor with the middle class having departed or quickly departing for places like Charlotte.

Of the two, I'd rather live in an aspirational city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte