Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 01:18 AM

52,430 posts, read 26,648,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brichard View Post
And this is where your analysis is flawed. Chicago has a lot of wealthy suburbs, but the data you're showing only represents the city of Chicago. Charlotte, on the other hand, annexes everything it can get its hands on, areas that would otherwise (in a place like Chicago) be those wealthy suburbs outside the main city. If you did a comparison of the areas just within two or three miles of downtown to Charlotte, that would be more accurate comparison with Chicago.
Actually Chicago (city) sprawls over 240 sq miles. This compares to Charlotte at 290 sq/miles. The difference is not nearly as large as stated.

Median Household Income
  • Chicago - $47,408
  • Charlotte - $52,916
  • New York - $51,865
It's pretty clear why the middle class is abandoning places like Chicago & New York. There is some horrible poverty and people living in dire circumstances in Chicago. I admit, Charlotte has nothing to compare to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 04:43 AM

370 posts, read 544,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlofCardigan View Post
I don't know why anyone rich would want to live in this dump over the ritzy urban experience in Southend or Uptown.

It beats me why Taylor Swift moved there.

Thanks for the pictures of NYC. We've never seen the city before....

If you can afford to live in NYC, good on you. I can't. So I'll take my cozy house just south of Uptown Charlotte with enough spending money to travel and entertain other hobbies as opposed to living in someone's closet for $2500 a month.

NYC is a rich mans paradise. And a great place to visit for the common man.

Old 11-04-2014, 06:48 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,599,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Actually Chicago (city) sprawls over 240 sq miles. This compares to Charlotte at 290 sq/miles. The difference is not nearly as large as stated.

Median Household Income
  • Chicago - $47,408
  • Charlotte - $52,916
  • New York - $51,865
It's pretty clear why the middle class is abandoning places like Chicago & New York. There is some horrible poverty and people living in dire circumstances in Chicago. I admit, Charlotte has nothing to compare to that.
I agree Chicago has a ton of poverty but Charlotte has a bunch too and is not as great of a city as it once was, but to say that Charlotte on an economic and business standpoint is on par with Chicago, Boston, Houston, NYC, SF, Dallas, LA, or any other top 10 population wise city is not correct. With the migration to Charlotte it may become that one day but at this point, no it is not.

What would draw billionaires here at this time? There is a reason they are all centered in 5-6 cities for the most part. Does Charlotte have a good bit of wealth and upper middle class of course and I said that in the first place but to think that Pat McCrory is the reason they would come here is absurd as the other person said. They are where they are for business, opportunity, and ego (lets be honest). I am not hating on Charlotte and enjoy it here but to say we are on a business, financial, or world level as the cities listed above is just not accurate at this point.

Also that median income is very misleading. That does not include the wealthy subrubs where most of the wealth in Chicago lives, but the stat itself is correct.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pumbaa View Post

What would draw billionaires here at this time?...
Why would you want to draw them here? I see absolutely no advantage to it.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:05 AM

Quote:
Why would you want to draw them here? I see absolutely no advantage to it.
I don't care if they are here or not. I was talking about the other person jimmysmiles or whatever saying that Pat McCrory was the reason they would come here. Would there be advantages maybe in spending, branding, business, and so on but for me I couldn't care less where they live.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Quote:
.... Would there be advantages maybe in spending, branding, business, and so on but for me I couldn't care less where they live.
If billionaire trickle down spending had any merit to it, then there would be no poverty in NYC, Chicago, or anywhere else on the planet where these people congregate. But just the opposite occurs. You get a small political/elite class at the top, little to no middle class, and a huge number of people living in poverty and part of an ever expanding welfare state.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:19 AM

Quote:
If billionaire trickle down spending had any merit to it, then there would be no poverty in NYC, Chicago, or anywhere else on the planet where these people congregate. But just the opposite occurs. You get a small political/elite class at the top, little to no middle class, and a huge number of people living in poverty and part of an ever expanding welfare state.
I do not disagree, as I said could there be advantes there could but I haven't researched enough to know if it matters. But if we are taking a sample of where most of them reside then no it does not. I agree with you there is no need to draw them here.

Business, jobs, and infrastructure are what I want to be brought here.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
Quote:

Median Household Income
  • Chicago - $47,408
  • Charlotte - $52,916
  • New York - $51,865
I didn't say median household income, it also shows average household income.

Old 11-04-2014, 09:29 AM

401 posts, read 657,273 times
Quote:
I agree Chicago has a ton of poverty but Charlotte has a bunch too and is not as great of a city as it once was, but to say that Charlotte on an economic and business standpoint is on par with Chicago, Boston, Houston, NYC, SF, Dallas, LA, or any other top 10 population wise city is not correct. With the migration to Charlotte it may become that one day but at this point, no it is not.

What would draw billionaires here at this time? There is a reason they are all centered in 5-6 cities for the most part. Does Charlotte have a good bit of wealth and upper middle class of course and I said that in the first place but to think that Pat McCrory is the reason they would come here is absurd as the other person said. They are where they are for business, opportunity, and ego (lets be honest). I am not hating on Charlotte and enjoy it here but to say we are on a business, financial, or world level as the cities listed above is just not accurate at this point.

Also that median income is very misleading. That does not include the wealthy subrubs where most of the wealth in Chicago lives, but the stat itself is correct.
Chicago suburbs aren't as wealthy as uptown or Southend, I have a friend who lives over in River Forest, and there houses are primarily $300,000, they look better then they cost. Most of the people who actually live in the suburbs work in Chicago to escape the threshold of poverty that goes into the city.
Fun information-
Chicago has 11 billionaires
Houston has 5 billionaires
Charlotte has 4 billionaires

We should soon past Houston, as well as Detroit, Pittsburgh, and even San Francisco, which also have 5.
Chicago is a hotbed for billionaires, firms report - Chicago Tribune

Old 11-04-2014, 09:33 AM

370 posts, read 544,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
Chicago suburbs aren't as wealthy as uptown or Southend, I have a friend who lives over in River Forest, and there houses are primarily $300,000, they look better then they cost. Most of the people who actually live in the suburbs work in Chicago to escape the threshold of poverty that goes into the city.
Fun information-
Chicago has 11 billionaires
Houston has 5 billionaires
Charlotte has 4 billionaires

We should soon past Houston, as well as Detroit, Pittsburgh, and even San Francisco, which also have 5.
Chicago is a hotbed for billionaires, firms report - Chicago Tribune
San Fran has 7.

1. Larry Ellison (Oracle) Net Worth: $41.2 Billion Residence: Woodside, San Francisco
4. Mark Zuckerberg (Facebook) Net Worth: $28.2 Billion Residence: Palo Alto & San Francisco
9. Dustin Moskovitz (Facebook, and the youngest on the list at age 30) Net Worth: $7.9 Billion Residence: San Francisco
19. Evan Williams (Twitter) Net Worth: $3.8 Billion Residence: San Francisco
25. Marc Benioff (Salesforce) Net Worth: $2.9 Billion Residence: San Francisco
42. Sean Parker (Facebook, among other companies) Net Worth: $2 Billion Residence: New York, San Francisco
53. Jack Dorsey (Twitter, Square) Net Worth: $1.7 Billion Residence: San Francisco

And don't just assume Charlotte will "add more". Every one of our billionaires developed companies in the Carolinas and are from here. These folks don't just grow on trees. And none of them are going to move to Charlotte. Unless there is one on the cusp I'm unaware of, I'd imagine Charlotte stays at 4 for a while unless we land an MLB team or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte