Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 07:41 AM

2 posts, read 3,870 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
We are planning to buy a new home,thinking of Fort Mill,SC and Charlotte,NC.We really liked Fort Mill because we can get house in our budget(<$350k) and good schools.
But we heard that there are less options for good colleges in SC compared to NC,where students will get extra concession in fees if they study in their home state.Is it true?
Please give me your valuable suggestions on this topic where I have zero knowledge?

Thank You
Saps123
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 07:52 AM

351 posts, read 656,840 times
I work for a university in SC and live in FM, so I know a bit about this. I would suggest possibly living in Charlotte if your kids are high school age. If they are younger, I would take advantage of living in SC, cheaper taxes, gas, and you can't go wrong with any of the FM schools. There are good schools in Charlotte, you just have to do a little more research.

As far as colleges, SC does have good ones. I work at Winthrop in Rock Hill and it was named to U.S. News & World Report's Top Ten Regional Public Universities in the South in the magazine's "America's Best Colleges" 2015 edition. It is the 23rd time this publication has chosen Winthrop for inclusion in its listings. However, tuition rates are cheaper in NC, most definitely.

But yeah, my opinion, younger children, go FM, older kids think about Charlotte.

Old 11-12-2014, 08:07 AM

2 posts, read 3,870 times
Thank you so much for your reply.

Old 11-12-2014, 09:44 AM

958 posts, read 1,725,583 times
I believe if you have a 3.0 in HS and get into USC and Clemson, the college is free? The South Carolina education lottery?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:55 AM

351 posts, read 656,840 times
Lottery tuition assistance is for 2 year colleges only. There is a Life Scholarship if you have a 3.0 GPA, but it's only $5,000 per year. Works great for community colleges, doesn't cover much for universities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I believe if you have a 3.0 in HS and get into USC and Clemson, the college is free? The South Carolina education lottery?

Old 11-12-2014, 02:59 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,215,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRugbyNo1 View Post
I Wish!!!!!

Old 11-12-2014, 03:37 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,702,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saps123 View Post
Hi all,
We are planning to buy a new home,thinking of Fort Mill,SC and Charlotte,NC.We really liked Fort Mill because we can get house in our budget(<$350k) and good schools.
But we heard that there are less options for good colleges in SC compared to NC,where students will get extra concession in fees if they study in their home state.Is it true?
Please give me your valuable suggestions on this topic where I have zero knowledge?

Thank You
Saps123
Is the job located in Charlotte? If so, is it Uptown or another section of Charlotte?

Old 01-07-2015, 04:31 PM

9 posts, read 14,207 times
Default Hmmm

That's actually several questions in one. Fort Mill's k-12 schools do quite well. Being larger and more diverse, the CMS system has greater variation in "quality". But, a good public school education can be had in both. I'm not sure what you mean by "concessions" in higher education, though. I suspect you mean that public universities have to accept a certain percentage of in-state students (per their charter), and so in-state students have a better shot at public universities? And thus they get in-state tuition? If that's what you mean, every state university system has it's flagship institution. The University of South Carolina is a fine school and is the state's public flagship. However, by no objective measure, is USC on par with NC's state flagship, UNC. They are different classifications of research institution, with UNC being higher. UNC is larger, has more diversity in program offerings, a higher national (and even international) profile depending on if you consider major international labor markets the entirety of "international". You'll meet people in Beijing who know of UNC because of the migration of global labor. On the flip side, it can be easier to get into USC because they have a lower accepted-attend yield than UNC. If you're instate and get into UNC? You're likely to attend. If you're instate and get into USC, you're less likely to attend. That's about prestige again. So, it could be better for college-going plans to stay in-state in NC but keep in mind that children are funny creatures. They insist on having autonomy. They may very well decide to go to a private school (in which case all in-state tuition bets are off) or go out of state! From that perspective, your best best is a K-12 system that affords the most opportunities for your children to be highly competitive at selective admission universities across the board. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte