Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2014, 09:52 AM

6 posts, read 8,280 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have benefitted greatly from this forum and have ready many, many threads bleary eyed until wee hours of the morning. We live in a great neighborhood outside of DC that is a short drive (5 mins) to one of the best farmer's markets in the country, 8 miles to DC for museums and culture, and has a ton of young families that love to get together. So we're looking for alot of the same amenities in Charlotte.

I'd love some more updated feedback on specific areas. We are considering Catholic schools (probably St. Gabriel's), so neighborhood schools are not such an issue. Also really interested in the Collinswood dual language program as well on the west side of the city so will make the school decision based on the lottery results early in the year (have temporary housing to sign up for schools). As we look at houses/neighborhoods, our factors are: safety (no compromise there), commute (less than 30 minutes to uptown), size (we'd like 4 beds, 2600+sq ft) and a great family neighborhood. On the bonus list would be proximity to great restaurants and shopping , and neighborhood or club pool/swim. So for the money, we're considering:
Sherwood Forest
Landsdowne
Old Providence
Stonehaven
Providence Park
Mountainbrook
Barclay Downs
The Cloisters or small pockets off Providence above Fairview

There is obviously a huge swing in the prices of these neighborhoods, which I think has alot to do with schools. Even though our budget would allow for some of the more expensive neighborhoods on this list, (but sadly not Dilworth or Meyers Park), I hate to pay twice for schools since we're going private. I worry about resale value in Stonehaven and is there a safety concern there or in Landsdowne or Sherwood Forest? I would love to hear hear thoughts on these areas and where folks in these 'hoods send their kids (don't want mine to be the only not going to the local school).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2014, 10:48 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Why exclude providence plantation? Montibello? Carmel Station?

Old 11-12-2014, 11:29 AM

777 posts, read 2,567,022 times
Lansdowne is the neighborhood you are looking for. If schools are not an issue, I can't see how you can beat it, especially for the price. We looked at many many homes in there (made offers on a few) but never found the right house for the right price. It is one of the hottest neighborhoods in town. Houses sell in a week or less (if they are priced right).

Stonehaven has some good sections and some that need some help (and some that way too close to the train tracks for me).

Mountainbrook is great however was just out of our price range for the size house we wanted. Those in our price range needed more work than I wanted to do.

Barclay Downs is nice but is rapidly changing. Lots of major remodels/additions, and new tear down construction are really going to drive prices up there.

Olde Providence. If you can afford Mountainbrook or Barclay Downs, you can probably cross this one off your list. It is nice for what it is (I live near there now) but isn't on par with the rest of your list.

We never really like the style of the Sherwood Forest homes (just a personal preferance). We have friends in there and they love it.

One to add to your list: Medearis. It is just south of Stonehaven but much larger and nicer homes in general. They have the Sardis Swim club and Boyce park right there.

Old 11-12-2014, 05:51 PM

Thank you both.
Suncc49- I assumed the commute from Providence Plantation would be over a half hour? We looked at Montibello and really liked, but seemed a more expensive to be further out, do you know what the typical range is in there? No pool club either. Not sure if I've seen Carmel Station but will take a look. Is this the same as Carmel Woods?

InSouthPark- great suggestions. I saw a house in Robinson Woods, part of Landsdowne, go on zillow for sale by owner and sell in two days. Is this typical? Seems like I'll be at a disadvantage doing this remote if we don't see the signs in the yards. I've heard good feedback on Sherwood Forest as well. What is the typical style home?

Will have to check out Medearis- saw one on the market but needed alot of work.

Any thoughts on the 'pockets' off Providence? The Cloisters, Usher Estates, others?

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 11-12-2014, 08:44 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,565,977 times
Schools do have a lot to do with the values of these neighborhoods. The neighborhoods that feed into the better rated schools will have higher resale values. Even if you choose private school, I would heavily factor the schools into my consideration. I would eliminate some of the neighborhoods you are considering due to the schools.

I live in one of the neighborhoods you mentioned so I am somewhat biased. I love my neighborhood for the reasons you mentioned; safe (crime is everywhere - no place is 100% safe), close to everything, wonderful neighborhood pool and tennis facilities, etc. The only problem is that most of the listings here now are the less desirable, split-level style homes.

Good luck - I know you will love Charlotte!

Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 AM

6,032 posts, read 9,207,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCatheart View Post
Thank you both.
Suncc49- I assumed the commute from Providence Plantation would be over a half hour? We looked at Montibello and really liked, but seemed a more expensive to be further out, do you know what the typical range is in there? No pool club either. Not sure if I've seen Carmel Station but will take a look. Is this the same as Carmel Woods?

InSouthPark- great suggestions. I saw a house in Robinson Woods, part of Landsdowne, go on zillow for sale by owner and sell in two days. Is this typical? Seems like I'll be at a disadvantage doing this remote if we don't see the signs in the yards. I've heard good feedback on Sherwood Forest as well. What is the typical style home?

Any thoughts on the 'pockets' off Providence? The Cloisters, Usher Estates, others?

Thanks for the feedback!

Carmel Station is nice, but much lower priced than Montibello. There is some stuff still in Montibello for the lower 300's but they move fast.

I could see Carmel Station undergoing the same process as the surrounding neighborhoods where older homes are renovated and fixed up. The values are there too with room for appreciation.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:02 AM

3 posts, read 11,791 times
Hey there...we're in Sherwood Forest and love it. My son goes to St. Gabes and we are door to door in 7 minutes. It is wonderful.. Love our neighbors and the neighborhood. We're moving for work related reasons and will really miss it. I think we're listing our house in a week or two, if you're interested I can pm you the link when it's ready (2 story all brick, .40 acres, in ground pool, 4 bedrooms and about 2400 sq ft around 315k)

Last edited by kab416; 11-13-2014 at 06:27 AM..

Old 11-13-2014, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncc49 View Post
Carmel Station is nice, but much lower priced than Montibello. There is some stuff still in Montibello for the lower 300's but they move fast.

I could see Carmel Station undergoing the same process as the surrounding neighborhoods where older homes are renovated and fixed up. The values are there too with room for appreciation.
Good luck finding anything in Montibello under 400k that isn't a total remodel situation. Most homes in there are upper 400k low 500k. Maybe in montibello crossing you can find low 300's (which aint no Montibello).

I lived across the street from Montibello for 10 years and we watched every home that came up in there. "Bargins" were in original 1970's condition at best.

Carmel Station is not what the OP is looking for (no offense to anyone).

Old 11-13-2014, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCatheart View Post

Thanks for the feedback!
Robinson Woods is not really Lansdowne. They are nicer, more expensive than Lansdowne. But yes, that typical of that area. We have a friend who is on their 3rd house in Lansdowne. Their last house sold in less than a week, two competing cash offers, 30 day close. They just went under contract to buy another home in Lansdowne by getting to a seller BEFORE they even listed the house and cut out the realtor fees. Honest to god, people go door to door offering to buy peoples houses in there. I know we had one couple come up to us while we were looking at a home in there and ask us if we wanted to come over and look at their house as they were thinking about listing it. It sold as pocket listing before hitting the open market.

Occasionally you will find a home in there that sits...typically either one that is completely remodeled and on the high side, or ones that are in need of a full remodel. But the ones that need "a little work" typically go fast.

Sherwood Forest is mostly 70's brick ranches. Something about the 70's exterior style we don't like (but we really like most of the 60's style brick ranches in Lansdowne/Stonehaven).

Don't know much about The Cloisters other than my wife's boss has lived in there forever and loves it. Never heard of Usher Estates.

Good luck! The mid-300k to mid 400k range in S CLT is very (and has been) hot market (inside of Hwy 51).

Old 11-13-2014, 11:52 AM

Great info, thanks so much for all of your insight! We really loved the feel of Montibello but the only house listed was in the low 600's and had a pool which scared us because our kids are so young. I know there are safety fences, etc, but really love letting the kids go out and play without the worry. Plus as a newbie in town, a pool club would be a great way to meet new friends! But good intel that this neighborhood has options in the high 400s to mid 500s.

Will check out more in Medearis, Landsdowne, Robinson Woods. There's just not alot of inventory right with the holidays coming up, but hoping we'll find "the one" soon! Trying to avoid moving twice- to temp housing then to house- but will do it if it means having more to pick from. Any sense on whether these areas have alot of kids in the Catholic or Private schools in the area (Prep and Prov day seem to be really close)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte