Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:13 PM

379 posts, read 639,645 times

Advertisements

There is ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBILITY that I would be able to afford to send both of my children to private school. I wouldn't feel right only sending one.

That being said...my first child has just scored extremely high on an iq test.

Does anyone know if the private schools give out scholarships (significant ones) to children with high iqs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2008, 06:50 PM

116 posts, read 416,158 times
Congratulations!!! You must be happy that your child is doing so well. We have visited some of the independent private schools but don't have info about scholarships. The school that we would prefer has 13 application for 3 placements. I would like to know if it's better to get in at 6th grade. But by than we might be back in Europe... I agree with you that sending one is not an option for us. We have to send both children or do public for both.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:09 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,295,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
There is ABSOLUTELY NO POSSIBILITY that I would be able to afford to send both of my children to private school. I wouldn't feel right only sending one.

That being said...my first child has just scored extremely high on an iq test.

Does anyone know if the private schools give out scholarships (significant ones) to children with high iqs?
Just food for thought...I do not believe that if all siblings cannot attend the same school that none of them should go. Our children are all individuals, what is good for one may not be best for another. If you address each childs individual needs and make your educational choices based on that alone all your children will be better off. Don't feel badly that one child may end up in a private school setting and others may not - your misguided attempts to be "fair" may hinder the one child who really may benefit from that experience tremendously.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:20 PM

116 posts, read 416,158 times
I agree with you. But in our case we are talking about lower school. How do you determine in kindergarten which child do you send to private schools and the other one to public. In this age children progress in different way.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1997 View Post
I agree with you. But in our case we are talking about lower school. How do you determine in kindergarten which child do you send to private schools and the other one to public. In this age children progress in different way.
I would agree. I think you just have to be flexible and as time goes by be willing to make changes as you see the need for them. Until then I think the less stress on a child the better, which might mean attending a neighborhood school (for a shorter commute and more sleep in the mornings, and schoolmates living near you to enhance your childs play time).

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,894,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgi View Post
First, a simple response to a complicated series of posts. Yes, some of the the independent schools do give out significant scholarships. I don't know if you should say to children "with high IQ's." I'd prefer to say to "children that they want in their student body." That they want a particular child is usually the result of a combination of their evaluation of the child as gleaned from the testing and interviewing that they do about this time of year and the evaluation of the parents' financial statement. (The latter used to be done by an independent organization located in Princeton, N.J.) If everything comes together properly a family may be offered a scholarship for one or more children. It's my belief that the schools usually offer scholarships to all of the children in a family. (I'm not sure about this, however.)

You said a "significant" scholarship. I do not personally know the full range of the financial aid, but I do know that it can cover a good bit of the tuition.

Please PM me if you want more info - I'll be as candid as I feel is appropriate.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:25 PM

264 posts, read 913,873 times
There is a school in Charlotte for high-IQ children. It is a charter school called Metrolina Scholars' Academy. I don't know the process for getting your child in there, but you might check into it -- and the other charter schools in our area. There is Socrates Academy, Union Academy and a few others. Good luck to you.

Old 01-02-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
First, a simple response to a complicated series of posts. Yes, some of the the independent schools do give out significant scholarships. I don't know if you should say to children "with high IQ's." I'd prefer to say to "children that they want in their student body." That they want a particular child is usually the result of a combination of their evaluation of the child as gleaned from the testing and interviewing that they do about this time of year and the evaluation of the parents' financial statement. (The latter used to be done by an independent organization located in Princeton, N.J.) If everything comes together properly a family may be offered a scholarship for one or more children. It's my belief that the schools usually offer scholarships to all of the children in a family. (I'm not sure about this, however.)

You said a "significant" scholarship. I do not personally know the full range of the financial aid, but I do know that it can cover a good bit of the tuition.

Please PM me if you want more info - I'll be as candid as I feel is appropriate.

Thank you Barb! I just realized I had intended to go back and address the op more thoroughly. And no surprise, I would have written pretty much exactly what you did regarding IQ and what schools are looking for (of which IQ plays a smaller part than one might think)

Old 01-02-2008, 10:20 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,894,098 times
Now in response to LOVES and Julia, I would like to say that I agree with you both. It's a really hard call, isn't it? As Juia says, it's very diffficult to ascertain a child's potential at age 5. Birth order, playmates, pre-schools, etc all factor into how a child presents him/herself at this age. Sometimes, however, a child does seem to show such intellectual promise at an early age that we can predict that s/he will shine intellectually and would greatly profit from a special program. In this case, I have to agree with LOVES that this child's talents should be developed as best they can. If this means a private school for one, I feel that one would have to go this route. But, of course, this is such a difficult call that no one wants to make it. This whole question does bring to mind the debate over the concentration on educating the less talented at the expense of the more talented who will eventually be called to lead not only our country but perhaps the world. But that's another question, isn't it??????

Finally, Julia, raises the question of when It's better to try to gain admission to the independent schools. I think that the hardest time is at kindergarten. The next difficult time would probably be at middle school age when many parents are nervous about the public schools. The easiest time is undoubtedly at high school age when some students go to boarding school or into the IB programs in the public schools.

I think that what I've said is pretty obvious, but if anyone has any questions feel free to PM me and I'll try to answer.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:49 PM

379 posts, read 639,645 times
Thank you all so much for your answers. I guess another problem is that child#1 is 8 , child #2 is only 1.5. I have no way of knowing what child #2 will need. Isn't it true that if your first child is gifted, your other children have a much higher chance of being gifted?

Another problem - Union Co is doing NOTHING for this child. AIG doesn't start until 4th grade. This child is completely bored and does not even want to go to school anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte