Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2014, 01:40 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,424,588 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Err don't have a bagel...you can't find any here. But smoothies are delish.

Pssst Larry, NY is famous for their bagels!
Right. Get some grits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 08:47 PM

135 posts, read 195,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Right. Get some grits.
"What is a grit, anyways?" - My Cousin Vinny

Old 11-24-2014, 08:57 PM

3,774 posts, read 8,193,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMorrell View Post
"What is a grit, anyways?" - My Cousin Vinny
So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes.

Old 11-24-2014, 09:08 PM

135 posts, read 195,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
So, Mr. Tipton, how could it take you five minutes to cook your grits, when it takes the entire grit-eating world 20 minutes.
I don't know, I'm a fast cook I guess.

Old 11-25-2014, 05:37 AM

428 posts, read 831,592 times
Depends on what you like NYC for. If are you looking to replace a cultured, sophisticated and urbane lifestyle then it will be an extreme shock. Just as most cities would be after leaving NYC. If you looking for a lifestyle you might find in Staten Island or Long Island the culture shock will be minimal. The people are definitely different, less aggressive and better mannered. I am from Connecticut and while I still prefer Connecticut in every aspect aside from prices, Charlotte is a pleasant place to live. I do dislike when people mistake me for a New Yorker tho.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:46 AM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
I grew up in Brooklyn and lived in the Bronx and NJ while working in Manhattan.

The pace of life is definetly slower. People here are friendlier to an extent but as with anywhere you still find an obnoxious jerk or two. I've found that you get what you give, my husband and I are both pretty laid back people.

It is more conservative to an extent. Just like in NYC, it does depend where you live. You'll have pockets of areas less conservative than others and it really depends on who you hang out with. We're on the other side of the border in SC, Fort Mill. But we work and go to church in NC. We're Unitarian Universalists so far from conservative (you can look it up). And though you have many more people talk about "church" here than in the NE (it took getting used to), there are many flavors and variations of them, including some more "liberal" churches that I know quite a few people attend.

As for food, I haven't had a good slice of pizza since I stopped working in NYC and I've never been one to be eating them all the time, so meh on that. Having lived in upstate NY I'll settle for a Brueggar's bagel if in a pinch.

And I have grown to like grits. Mmmmm... especially from the Flying Buscuit Cafe. Yes, this Puerto Rican Brooklyn girl now likes grits. It can happen.

We've been here almost a year.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:35 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post

And I have grown to like grits. Mmmmm... especially from the Flying Buscuit Cafe. Yes, this Puerto Rican Brooklyn girl now likes grits. It can happen.
It happened to a Miami Cuban girl too. I love me some grits. I even take the cuban Enchilado de Camarones and serve it over grits. Also if you like spicy, ask them at Flying biscuits to serve their serrano shrimp over their grits. SO GOOD. With a side of love cakes, I am happy.

Old 11-25-2014, 09:53 AM

625 posts, read 488,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
It happened to a Miami Cuban girl too. I love me some grits. I even take the cuban Enchilado de Camarones and serve it over grits. Also if you like spicy, ask them at Flying biscuits to serve their serrano shrimp over their grits. SO GOOD. With a side of love cakes, I am happy.
Oh, I am going to have to try that...mmm. I work down the road from The Flying Biscuit.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:15 AM

7,672 posts, read 12,815,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJCoqui View Post
Oh, I am going to have to try that...mmm. I work down the road from The Flying Biscuit.
Even though I am closer to the Stonecrest location, I prefer the Park Road location. Been going there since I moved here.

Old 11-25-2014, 10:56 AM

1,863 posts, read 1,652,015 times
When the Zombie-apocalypse hits, I won't be trapped on an Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte