Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 12:36 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,644,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
what are the other northerners you encounter complaining about?
people like you.

Not trying to be rude but there is nothing worse than a person who isn't from here complaining about EVERYTHING.

I'm not even from here and I want you to move already.

No one should be this unhappy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2014, 12:38 PM

830 posts, read 1,530,311 times
Quote:
I have a lot of ideas why northerners are always complaining about living in the south. For me it is the basic things that I have always been used to culturally. I guess I am used to getting edible chinese food. I guess I am used to stop lights that let more than 5 people through an intersection before turning red. I guess I am used to hiring someone to fix things around the house and actually do the job right. I guess I find it a little weird to be eating breakfast and then see 3 kids walk in with knives and handguns strapped to their waistband. I guess I am used to living in a region that if they knew their schools were failing they would increase the school budget not cut it. I guess I am used to living somewhere the locals do not hate me because I am not like them. I guess I am used to getting good customer service when I call the energy department, dentist, etc. I guess I am used to living somewhere where people are passionate about politics and social issues...not guns...

For those who still do not understand...If you move to NC you should expect either an extreme right wing (fox news) to centric (cnn) person while in the north you find centric to extreme left (msbnc).
You could easily be describing a small town in Vermont, New Hampshire, Western MA, lots of NY and PA, etc....

Living in Denver NC and complaining about Charlotte is a bit of a stretch, IMO.

Old 12-05-2014, 04:40 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,700,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
people like you.

Not trying to be rude but there is nothing worse than a person who isn't from here complaining about EVERYTHING.

I'm not even from here and I want you to move already.

No one should be this unhappy.
I admit it, you made me laugh outloud

Old 12-05-2014, 09:56 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Lack of jobs period. I live in Kings Mountain & mostly spend time in Gastonia & Hickory. Transplants & natives complain about lack of jobs, but that's a nation-wide complaint.

Last edited by southbound_295; 12-05-2014 at 10:10 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 10:08 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
I would like to know where the heck does he actually lives that he encounters that in his daily living. Are you sure it's North Carolina? lol

I mean seriously, I actually cringe at how nice they are here. (I am a grump. lol) But I do respond in kindness back albeit grudgingly. I had all sorts of things fixed around my house and then they fixed something else for free. (last week with my fridge) I always get kindness from my doctors and kids doctors on the phone and they actually call me back unlike back in Miami. Heck I am amazed still that I can get a hold of a live person AND make an appointment the same week. (months in Miami)

Traffic is not bad here at all as I had to deal with tourists and crazy hour long traffic in Miami so I can't really compare there. I do have minor complaints, but I would take NC anytime.

I haven't seen kids armed with guns and knives. It wouldn't bother me though, as I myself am a believer if arming yourself.

I am not saying Charlotte is paradise on Earth. But by his description, I can't help but think how polar opposites our experiences are. I can try and "blame" the OP (Navy) but I am a bit grumpy with a ***** resting face and still get service. That's why I asked exactly where does he live? I am really curious now.
I frequently run into other people who moved down from South Jersey & Philadelphia. We joke about how similar it is here & in spite of the lack of jobs, the job market is actually better. Heck, I Iive 30 miles out from Charlotte & I don't recognize his complaints.

Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 AM

370 posts, read 543,720 times
Quote:
I'm going to go out on a wild limb here and suggest that most of the "problems" you are encountering are your own personal issues. I myself am from the north and you give the rest of us a bad name.

There are crappy drivers everywhere.
There are crappy restaurants everywhere.
If you whine and complain about everything, people are probably going to treat you poorly.

Your work ethic comment I find particularly comical, seeing as lack of hard work and heavy unionization essentially buried northern industries. My father was an unfortunate casualty of those exact lay-offs, watching tons of "hard-working" northerner's get paid through the teeth for being alcoholics, drug addicts and not showing up to work half the time while their union defended them. Again, there are lousy, lazy people everywhere. Surround yourself with the right ones here, or move back to Schenectady and buy a heat lamp.

Chrysler workers fired for drinking back on job against automaker's wishes [w/video] [UPDATE] - Autoblog

Old 12-06-2014, 01:23 PM
NDL

4,518 posts, read 5,646,444 times
Some of the comments on this thread are incredible.

I was born, and for some time, lived, in NYC (Queens and Staten Island). I am likely more "redneck" than the majority of Charlotteans.

Some transplanted Long Islander's love it here. These are those who pine for the Long Island they grew up in, and dislike intensely, the Long Island of today. (In this, I speak specifically to today's Long Islander's who treat their car horns in the same way that Family Feud contestants react when asked a question: the nanosecond a traffic light turns green, in a way that would marvel Pavlov, they smash their horn - hand gestures and all).

Moreover, I've observed the majority of people from the N.E. who complain about provincial thinking Natives, are often provincial thinking themselves. Lots of natives are well traveled, have served in the military, etc.

Outside of that:

- There are no corner deli's, no matter what anyone tells you.

- You can't grab a slice and run.

- Even McDonald's run in a backward fashion.

- You'd be hard pressed to find a real Bakery.

The above habits will require a MASSIVE adjustment on your part.

On the flipside: Charlotte has an abundance of shopping options, great public services, and a great park system. The landscape is beautiful. There's always something going on in and around Uptown CLT.

Head out of Charlotte, and you're in the South. Different culture, cuisine, and habits. Stereotypes are usually unfounded, however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte