U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 02:58 PM

660 posts, read 921,304 times

Advertisements

Thanks tdm51; I could probably go to $1000 if my partner ends up moving with me and/or I am able to find some part-time work fairly quickly; without a car and insurance expenses I'd have a lot more to put towards rent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
Charlotte is more walkable than the ranking suggest (mainly because Charlotte is geographically large and sprawly.) If you live in the Uptown area you can walk pretty much everywhere (I live here currently so this is off experience.) The problem is, not in that price range. You are looking at a minimum of 1200-1500 to live in the more walkable areas of Charlotte. You may be able to get closer to the 1000 range, but not below it. At least from what I have seen.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 03:01 PM

Default Meh!

Meh! I've lived in several large cities and done it all - looking more to just have a calm life somewhere warmer, to be able to be outdoors and walk to coffee and go for long runs - that's all I need. Plus, I'm sure Charlotte has car-sharing; most major metro areas do these days; used it here in Buffalo and also in Seattle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavySeal77 View Post
I lived in uptown Charlotte and could not have lived without a car. There are tooooooo many things to do in NC lik to be stuck in uptown without transportation.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:08 PM

363 posts, read 407,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Meh! I've lived in several large cities and done it all - looking more to just have a calm life somewhere warmer, to be able to be outdoors and walk to coffee and go for long runs - that's all I need. Plus, I'm sure Charlotte has car-sharing; most major metro areas do these days; used it here in Buffalo and also in Seattle.
I live in Uptown.. I have a car due to my work, but honestly it gets used rarely outside of that. There is enough entertainment in Uptown and along the lightrail where a car isnt really needed.. and if it is, there is always uber. I also just scoped out a few places in SouthEnd which had rents at 900-1000 for studio/1br.. I know nothing of which places are good/not good in SouthEnd, but you would be right on the lightrail and could use it to go to South Charlotte and Uptown.

(example http://www.fountainssouthend.com/floorplans.aspx , http://1225sc.maac.com/1225-Church-Search-Result.aspx) -- Again do not know if these places are good to live in, I have no idea

Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 PM

Default Perfect!

Ohhhhh, thanks tdm51 - valuable perspective. What are rents like in Uptown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdm51 View Post
I live in Uptown.. I have a car due to my work, but honestly it gets used rarely outside of that. There is enough entertainment in Uptown and along the lightrail where a car isnt really needed.. and if it is, there is always uber. I also just scoped out a few places in SouthEnd which had rents at 900-1000 for studio/1br.. I know nothing of which places are good/not good in SouthEnd, but you would be right on the lightrail and could use it to go to South Charlotte and Uptown.

(example Floor Plans of Fountains Southend Apartments in Charlotte , NC , 1225 South Church Apartment Search Result) -- Again do not know if these places are good to live in, I have no idea

Old 12-04-2014, 06:42 PM

4,794 posts, read 4,501,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Ohhhhh, thanks tdm51 - valuable perspective. What are rents like in Uptown?

All the places on the Internet is probably going to be northwards of $1000 in uptown.

Tryon House is the cheapest midrise I think with 1 bedroom at 650 or 700$ when I looked into it. smack in the midst of all the action uptown known for its cheap prices.

Tryon House
Mobile Apartment Search App - Find Apartments for Rent on Your Phone

I would also look into the Lowrise apartments in 4th ward in person or try to call. Lots of affordable apartments don't advertise online.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Default Suggestions

Thanks so much for these suggestions . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
All the places on the Internet is probably going to be northwards of $1000 in

uptown.

Tryon House is the cheapest midrise I think with 1 bedroom at 650 or 700$ when I looked into it. smack in the midst of all the action uptown known for its cheap prices.

Tryon House
Mobile Apartment Search App - Find Apartments for Rent on Your Phone

I would also look into the Lowrise apartments in 4th ward in person or try to call. Lots of affordable apartments don't advertise online.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:40 PM

102 posts, read 97,627 times
If I had to give my two cents, keep the car, but still use public transit. This is what I do. You'll save gas and wear, and assuming you're still making payments on it, once you do pay it off you will still have a low milage car for years of further enjoyment. Another suggestion would be, since you're supposedly going to be saving 500 bucks a month, go for something a little nicer and maybe even inside the 277 belt, or use the money you save to rent a car whenever you want to go outside of Charlotte. Renting a car for a few days once or twice a year on vacation is still cheaper than owning a car all year long. I don't know your exact situation, but I don't forsee myself getting rid of my car if I stay in Charlotte. The transit is good, but as any commuter who uses it will tell you, the way Charlotte is laid out makes a car necessary for at least part of the commute.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:49 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,630,639 times
500 a month on a car?

If you can't get rid of it, I can teach you how to find a dependable Toyota on craigslist for 1500. No more monthly payment and you won't look like a moron that leased a car they can't afford.

Old 03-07-2015, 07:58 AM

416 posts, read 535,569 times
I would say you need a car. I live in Charlotte and everything is very spread out. Its a large city area wise. I'm sure you could make it work, but its not NYC or anything like that. Its a small town feel with a huge mass of land and spread out. It takes me 15 minutes from south park area to even get to the nearest Target in my car, so its not set up for walking IMO.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:48 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,033,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metairie View Post
I would say you need a car. I live in Charlotte and everything is very spread out. Its a large city area wise. I'm sure you could make it work, but its not NYC or anything like that. Its a small town feel with a huge mass of land and spread out. It takes me 15 minutes from south park area to even get to the nearest Target in my car, so its not set up for walking IMO.
I don't agree - you can live here without a car if you live close to the city center where buses are abundant and neighborhoods are walkable. There is a Target near uptown too. One can live a fine life without ever venturing further out than South Park Mall (and even there one needs not go often).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte