U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 11:20 AM

660 posts, read 913,477 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I'm relocating in April of 2015 from Western New York (have lived here for 7 years, after living in Seattle for 13 and growing up in Pennsylvania); I want milder winters and a change of scenery. I had friends recommend the Raleigh area, and I visited in October for a week and loved it, and it seems to fit my main criteria; milder Winters, a good economy, affordability and there's a lot to do. I also liked the fact that there are so many great schools in the area; I'm a professor and though I work remotely right now (my income is portable) I would like to find something part-time when I move to get me out into the community more.

I've been thinking that I would love to get rid of my car though (it would save me $500/month), which would be tough to do in the Triangle, especially given that I think I'd want to live in either Durham or Chapel Hill.

Another friend, and multiple folks in the City vs. City forum here, suggested that Charlotte might be better because it offers similar amenities but better mass transit and more walkable neighborhoods. Thoughts? I know Wikipedia mentions it being the 49th of 50 "most walkable large cities:, so that doesn't sound too promising.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 11:29 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,186,953 times
Charlotte is more walkable than Raleigh however for the most part it's not very walkable here unless you live in areas like Uptown, Southend, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, or Elizabeth. So mainly around the center of the city. For the most part Charlotte is a sprawling mess of development outside of these areas. We do have a solid citywide bus system and light rail mass transit if you happen to live in South Charlotte.

Old 12-04-2014, 11:56 AM

7,672 posts, read 11,500,246 times
Think of it this way.

I think it's going to be a wash. You can save the money by getting rid of your car but you will have to pay considerably more in rent to live in a walkable area which are usually in an expensive area or uptown. Or keep your car and live in a cheaper apartment in also a nice area.

You will have to do the math and see which is cheaper.

A monthly public transportation pass that has all is about $176 monthly depending on where you go and what you use.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:44 PM

Default Cool . . . but could I afford it?

Thanks for the input!

I'd be fine living in a safe, walkable neighborhood in the center of the city or in South Charlotte, but do you think it's possible to get a small studio or 1-BR apartment for about $850 a month in any of those areas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeusAV View Post
Charlotte is more walkable than Raleigh however for the most part it's not very walkable here unless you live in areas like Uptown, Southend, Dilworth, Plaza Midwood, NoDa, or Elizabeth. So mainly around the center of the city. For the most part Charlotte is a sprawling mess of development outside of these areas. We do have a solid citywide bus system and light rail mass transit if you happen to live in South Charlotte.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:46 PM

Default Hmmmm . . .

Good points -- but if I am going to keep my car I'd likely just move to the Triangle where I know I can get a nice 1-BR for $800 a month and be closer to the beach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by momtothree View Post
Think of it this way.

I think it's going to be a wash. You can save the money by getting rid of your car but you will have to pay considerably more in rent to live in a walkable area which are usually in an expensive area or uptown. Or keep your car and live in a cheaper apartment in also a nice area.

You will have to do the math and see which is cheaper.

A monthly public transportation pass that has all is about $176 monthly depending on where you go and what you use.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:52 PM

7,672 posts, read 11,500,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor46 View Post
Good points -- but if I am going to keep my car I'd likely just move to the Triangle where I know I can get a nice 1-BR for $800 a month and be closer to the beach.
Def the way to go, you won't find a nice 1 bdrm in middle of uptown for that price. Plus the closest to a beach around here is minimum 3 1/2 hours by car.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:56 PM

4,726 posts, read 4,385,068 times
Charlotte has by far the largest transportation system in NC. You can find an apartment for $850. Easy.

Even farther out towards SouthPark, South Park has a neighborhood bus hub with good frequency, decent schedules and decent routes including to Ballantyne, Pineville, the airport & University City without having to use CTC, the uptown Transportation center.

Go on RideTransit.org and click on bus.

Sharon, Park Road, Tyvola & a few other bus routes I would look into and narrow your search to those areas.

Really look into near the Park Road shopping center. Lots of retail, nice area and the Little Sugar Creek Greenway starts there that takes you to uptown, great greenway, safe and another mode of transportation.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:48 PM

363 posts, read 404,108 times
Charlotte is more walkable than the ranking suggest (mainly because Charlotte is geographically large and sprawly.) If you live in the Uptown area you can walk pretty much everywhere (I live here currently so this is off experience.) The problem is, not in that price range. You are looking at a minimum of 1200-1500 to live in the more walkable areas of Charlotte. You may be able to get closer to the 1000 range, but not below it. At least from what I have seen.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:05 PM

440 posts, read 507,994 times
I lived in uptown Charlotte and could not have lived without a car. There are tooooooo many things to do in NC lik to be stuck in uptown without transportation.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:55 PM

Default It's do-able!

Thank you Charlotte485 -- this sounds great. I will definitely investigate further.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Charlotte has by far the largest transportation system in NC. You can find an apartment for $850. Easy.

Even farther out towards SouthPark, South Park has a neighborhood bus hub with good frequency, decent schedules and decent routes including to Ballantyne, Pineville, the airport & University City without having to use CTC, the uptown Transportation center.

Go on RideTransit.org and click on bus.

Sharon, Park Road, Tyvola & a few other bus routes I would look into and narrow your search to those areas.

Really look into near the Park Road shopping center. Lots of retail, nice area and the Little Sugar Creek Greenway starts there that takes you to uptown, great greenway, safe and another mode of transportation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte