Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-03-2008, 09:53 PM

14 posts, read 35,970 times

Advertisements

I am moving to Charlotte on Saturday and, quite frankly, I have no idea what to do. I am living in Eastover Ridge apartments off of Randolph St. I just drove around the city looking for places to rent and picked these because they look nice and are at least relatively near uptown (and I was in a rush, unfortunately). Is the Eastover area nice?

I did not notice any bikers in the city. I was planning on biking to work since I'm only two or so miles out (I will work in Uptown). Do people do that?

Also, I am an ultimate frisbee player... is there a strong community for that?

Thanks in advance and I'd appreciate any general advice to acclimating (cool spots, places to avoid, etc.). This is my first move into real life after college... slightly nerve racking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2008, 10:16 PM

3,662 posts, read 9,686,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh4z View Post
I am moving to Charlotte on Saturday and, quite frankly, I have no idea what to do. I am living in Eastover Ridge apartments off of Randolph St. I just drove around the city looking for places to rent and picked these because they look nice and are at least relatively near uptown (and I was in a rush, unfortunately). Is the Eastover area nice?

I did not notice any bikers in the city. I was planning on biking to work since I'm only two or so miles out (I will work in Uptown). Do people do that?

Thanks in advance and I'd appreciate any general advice to acclimating (cool spots, places to avoid, etc.). This is my first move into real life after college... slightly nerve racking.
Is that the gated apartment community? I don't know about crime stats but it's always seemed like a very safe complex to me. You do have Grier Heights up Billingsley Rd, which is across the street from the apartments (if I"m right about the location) but those people are pretty isolated (they stay in their hood).

Although Randolph Rd. is 45mph and I think 35mph the closer you get to downtown, it is a very busy street during rush hour (not congested, just busy). It would be too risky for me as I don't think there are biker lanes there. You're better off taking a bus or driving your car in my opinion.

There are several frisbee golf courses in Charlotte. Here's a link to the club: CDGC - Charlotte Disc Golf Club (http://www.charlottedgc.com/history.htm - broken link) Kilborne Park will be very convenient for you. I also think there is a world renown course close by in SC, but somebody else may be able to give you more info on that as I don't really play.

As a recent college grad, I think you're gonna love it down here, especially downtown (you will also hear Uptown). It's booming and offers a fantastic singles lifestyle.

Old 01-03-2008, 11:16 PM

45,217 posts, read 100,955,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeh4z View Post

Well, you could have done a lot worse on choosing an apartment, so relax

The Eastover area is one of Charlotte's oldest, wealthiest neighborhoods. It technically ends at the Mint Museum, but your apartments are just a block away from that, so you are in good company. You will also be located across the road from the county health department, so you will see a lot of foot traffic or people just hanging out all day, hence the gates around the complex I think. I pass that way often in the evenings and there are always people out jogging or walking so they must feel pretty safe. Just remember, you will be living pretty close in to uptown and this makes your area more urban - it is not dangerous, but as in any city you will want to take precautions as you come and go.

Biking, especially in the uptown area is somewhat common - we even have police officers on bikes patrolling all around. But Carolina Guy is right, Randolph is heavily traveled and the lanes are narrow, so take a look at a map and route yourself to uptown accordingly. I would suggest you look at cutting thru the Elizabeth neighborhood and heading down Elizabeth Ave, thru the CPCC campus to reach the center of uptown more safely - just def get off Randolph okay? My husband uses a combination of the bus and his bike to get to work uptown and my son rides his all over uptown too, so I speak from a concerned mom point of view

You will find frisbee golf courses here - the best in my opinion is at Reedy Creek Park - a very nice 18 holes thru the woods.

Welcome to Charlotte!

Old 01-04-2008, 01:03 AM

673 posts, read 2,685,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post

You will find frisbee golf courses here - the best in my opinion is at Reedy Creek Park - a very nice 18 holes thru the woods.
That's neat. I never heard of such a thing. Sounds like fun!

Old 01-04-2008, 02:31 AM

4,761 posts, read 7,861,394 times
You'll be fine here.

I would definately suggest driving the neighborhoods for a while to find a safer alternative to Randolph. You're asking to get hit on that road. It's almost too narrow for normal vehicular traffic, let alone bikes. And people get moving pretty quick through there. As mentioned, the speed limit (suggestion?) is 35, but people will often drive in excess of 45mph.

Randolph also has some long inclines, so if you sweat it might not be a good idea to pedal to work.

Here is a local outdoor group that does frisbee. Carolinas Outdoor Adventures - the largest and most active outdoor sport and social organization in Charlotte and greater Carolinas I found this doing a quick search on Google.

As far as cool spots, there are many of them downtown. It really just depends on what kind of crowd you like to be around. Ive always been a little partial to Fox and Hound (NOT to be confused with the one in DC. Don't ask how I know.) and Rock Bottom Brewery even though I don't like their beer.

You'll find a bunch of nice places down there especially for the after work crowd.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 7,214 times
Ultimate Frisbee:

There is a very strong community for it. Here is the website to the Charlotte Area Ultimate Association, the governing body for ultimate activities:

Charlotte Area Ultimate Association (http://www.charlotteultimate.com/flash/ - broken link)

It will tell you all about it. Of course, it is not stellar during the winter, but there is still pick up on sundays, and it will get ramped up to 3-4 times a week in spring.

see you on the fields.

Old 01-14-2008, 04:06 PM

2 posts, read 7,214 times
Ultimate Frisbee:

Sorry, just type in:

[url=http://www.charlotteultimate.com]Charlotte Area Ultimate Association[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte