U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 03:28 PM

42 posts, read 61,104 times

Advertisements

Great cities have songs.

New York takes the cake with New York, NY by Sinatra, On the Town, New York State of Mind, New York by Jay Z, Welcome to New York by Taylor Swift, etc., etc.

Other great cities have songs too, such as I Left My Heart in San Francisco, Chicago by Sinatra, and London Calling by The Clash.

Given the foregoing, should we commission Lady Antebellum or Florida-Georgia Border to write a song about the Queen City?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2015, 08:42 PM

373 posts, read 740,840 times
Oh Charlotte you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind.
Hey Charlotte!
Hey Charlotte!

Oh Charlotte you're so fine, you're so fine you blow my mind.
Hey Charlotte!
Hey Charlotte!

Oh Charlotte other cities they just don't understand.
We declare ourselves world class, it was declared by local news weathermen.

Oh Charlotte can't you see other cities got it wrong.
They have flowing traffic and don't sit at No Turn on Red signs all day long.

We're on the map Charlotte, map Charlotte.
Just look on the map to find Charlotte.

Take it away forum...............

Old 01-17-2015, 08:47 PM

4,761 posts, read 7,360,789 times
There are plenty of songs about Charlotte (or the surrounding areas). They're just not by Sinatra or Jay Z or any other cultural icons. And for goodness sake, we can't even pay to keep a banana company here. How on Earth could taxpayers expect to get a completed song about the area.

Give me $1,000,000 and I'll write a verse. It does seem like there is all kinds of money to **** away around here, especially since that banana company is giving that million back to the city/county/state/whoever.

BTW, it's Florida Georgia Line.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:10 PM

2,173 posts, read 3,904,808 times
"Yes, We Have No Bananas"

Old 01-18-2015, 07:58 AM

105 posts, read 103,611 times
I never understood why we would have a Banana Co. anyway since bananas dont grow around here. .......i kinda seam out of place.

Old 01-18-2015, 04:39 PM

1,094 posts, read 1,028,388 times
I think great cities have great songs written about them because great artists WANT to to write the songs. Money will only get us uninspired drivel. I think we should focus on making Charlotte great and in due time the artists will see it.

Old 01-19-2015, 12:37 PM

140 posts, read 157,535 times
We actually have a pretty blossoming local music scene. A couple of talented local rap/hip hop artists make music in and around the Queen City. We also have a few local country/gospel people. I'm guessing no one went to the Queen City awards that were held Saturday before last?

Old 01-19-2015, 01:10 PM

398 posts, read 580,528 times
"Should Charlotte hire a performer to create a song for it?"

....no.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 AM

52,431 posts, read 24,381,239 times
IMO, if they did, it would be something that would make you cringe like listening to fingernails moving across an old fashioned chalkboard, but which all the local politicians & news readers would gush over endlessly while secretly knocking back a couple of belts to endure it.

Old 01-20-2015, 04:38 AM

1,094 posts, read 1,028,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
IMO, if they did, it would be something that would make you cringe like listening to fingernails moving across an old fashioned chalkboard, but which all the local politicians & news readers would gush over endlessly while secretly knocking back a couple of belts to endure it.
+1. This is what you get when you hire artist to write about you.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVENWl8uBeg (Appalachian is Hot Hot Hot!). The artists (generally a bureaucrat's talentless niece) laughs all the way too the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
View detailed profiles of: