Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 12:52 PM

95 posts, read 280,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon2853 View Post
Thanks for creating this thread GoodDay. We finally made the decision to relocate from NY, after several years of considering and planning. Our house is on market and if all goes well, we will be headed down after June. We decided on Union County, Waxhaw. We have four boys - two in college in northeast and two younger boys (10 and 8). We work from home so being a bit further from uptown wasn't a concern for us. Very excited to make the move (as I type this I am looking out the window at the blizzard of 2015).

This forum and the NC state report cards were helpful, as well as two visits over a five year span!
This site compares schools across states: https://k12.niche.com/rankings/

In the near future I'll be interested in feedback on moving tips. I called Lowes/Packrat and for ~$3200 we can fill one pod and transport from NY to NC. For an add'l $250/month they will store in Charlotte until we are ready. We plan on selling much of our furniture rather than hauling it. What's everyone else thinking?
I plan to start clean slate and buy furniture once I move. Only very few furniture pieces are coming with me. Our couch and dining room table are only 4 years old and they have worn out so much. It's not worth keeping it once we move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2015, 01:08 PM

76 posts, read 283,720 times
Our house in Charlotte will likely be smaller than the one we have now, so we are also planning on selling a lot of what we have now. We have to see what will fit first.

Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 PM

39 posts, read 117,594 times
While my husband has been working in Charlotte for almost three years now and we haven't made the move as a family I do have another member most likely moving to Charlotte. My oldest is graduating from college in May and has accepted a job with Amazon hopefully to be placed in the new fulfillment center in Concord. Wondering where a 22 year old single guy would want to live that would be close enough to work but still able to mingle with his age group? Would also be nice if my husband could live with him although he works over by the airport.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:23 AM

170 posts, read 275,177 times
30 year old single male moving from Orlando to the Charlotte area in March. I just had my offer on a townhome accepted a few days ago and will be closing the first week of March. The townhome is in the Cornelius/Huntersville area...1,800sf for under $200k :-D

For those of you in a similar situation as me, the area around lake Norman is really nice. The schools are some of the best in the Charlotte area (resale value), the lake offers a ton of activities, it's only about 25 minutes to downtown Charlotte (known as uptown), the median age is 32 with a 50-50 split among families and non-families (according to city-data), and some of the lowest crime rates in the area.

Old 01-28-2015, 12:04 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post
30 year old single male moving from Orlando to the Charlotte area in March. I just had my offer on a townhome accepted a few days ago and will be closing the first week of March. The townhome is in the Cornelius/Huntersville area...1,800sf for under $200k :-D

For those of you in a similar situation as me, the area around lake Norman is really nice. The schools are some of the best in the Charlotte area (resale value), the lake offers a ton of activities, it's only about 25 minutes to downtown Charlotte (known as uptown), the median age is 32 with a 50-50 split among families and non-families (according to city-data), and some of the lowest crime rates in the area.
Congrats on your move! However, I am surprised you are leaving a city many are looking to move to!?

Old 01-28-2015, 10:36 PM

69 posts, read 220,609 times
We currently live in Michigan, but are on the cusp of making a decision to move to Charlotte this summer. I have family in Asheville, but my husband travels a lot so we need the Charlotte airport. Will have 2 youngest daughters with us. One going to Paul Mitchell hair school in Charlotte, one to community college. Focusing on Southpark area or Lake Norman/Cornelius.

Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopefullyMoving View Post

I'm assuming you were able to secure a job? That's awesome!

Old 01-29-2015, 09:08 AM

123 posts, read 240,975 times
Single dad coming to Charlotte this summer. Thinking in a zone in South Charlotte from Southpark area down toward Ballantyne area at this point. Have ruled out areas north and east of uptown. Looking for a good academic High School for the kids who are 13 and 15 (Ardrey Kell looks great but I think its a little far out). Am very social and want to be somewhere to be able to meet lots of people, network in the community and look for a special classy lady. Looking to get a condo or apartment in a community with a pool and tennis court. A decade in a big house with home repairs and a lawn (and high taxes, insurance and an HOA) is enough!

Old 01-29-2015, 03:15 PM

193 posts, read 495,560 times
Wow, I am so excited to see so many young families relocating to our beloved North Carolina! We were transplants ourselves over 12 years ago from South Florida. We moved to Mooresville, NC primarily for the schools and have never doubted that this was a great decision. My kids have gone K-9th (oldest in high school) and I've learned a ton about the schools! There are many great opportunities to get involved with the schools here!

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2015 at 04:51 AM..

Old 01-30-2015, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
Wow, I am so excited to see so many young families relocating to our beloved North Carolina! We were transplants ourselves over 12 years ago from South Florida. We moved to Mooresville, NC primarily for the schools and have never doubted that this was a great decision. My kids have gone K-9th (oldest in high school) and I've learned a ton about the schools! There are many great opportunities to get involved with the schools here!
Coming from South Florida too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte