Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2015, 11:52 AM

20 posts, read 42,090 times

Advertisements

Hi all! We are moving to Charlotte sometime in September from Southwest Florida. We are looking at either Concord area or Lake Wylie ( we will know which when my husband finds out where he is being relocated to). We are 40-ish with a soon to be three year old and two early 20's that may (or may not) join us after we move.

I have only just begun to really research the area and we have decided to rent while we look for a home to buy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 06:46 AM

3,051 posts, read 3,438,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
As suggested, here's a thread for those of us moving to Charlotte this summer. I know there are quite a few of us! If you want to join the club, come on in! No membership requirements besides the obvious I am hoping we can share our experiences and get advice from other posters.

Please introduce yourself....I'll start:

We are moving from Columbus, OH for my husband's job. He will be working uptown (we call it downtown here!). I work full time from home. Our kids are 8 and 4 and will be in third grade and pre-K next year. Our housing budget is $500k and we are looking in the Southpark area. I am a bit of an insane school researcher (as you will see) because, like many of you I'm sure, schools are my #1 concern!
Sharon Elementary is a very good school. Great PTA and arts programs. This is in the South Park area. You will be happy with this school.

Old 02-08-2015, 04:17 PM

115 posts, read 228,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shayshay3217 View Post
Moving from Pittsburgh to Charlotte this summer hopefully. I just finished school and looking to relocate once I find a job. My boyfriend and I will be moving together, he's a chef, I do administrative work. I have been applying to lots of places so hopefully I'll get some call backs soon! We do have about 6 months worth of rent saved up but would like to have jobs before making the move. I have been researching some areas but we would like to spend no more than 750-800 in rent. I can't wait to finally make the move!
I think you will love Charlotte. We moved here 2 1/2 years' ago from Pittsburgh. I am SO happy we made this move. I know you are not having an awful winter this year, but last year...ugh! You will not have to deal with that any longer. It was 70 this afternoon...63 now. Great place to live! You sound like a young couple without children - definitely live in the city itself. I think you will enjoy it! Good luck finding a job.

PS Lots of Steeler fans here too!

Last edited by Maggiemovingtocharlotte1; 02-08-2015 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Added info

Old 02-08-2015, 09:50 PM

1 posts, read 25,723 times
Hi all!!!! Helping my 23 year old daughter make the move to Charlotte or nearby, North Carolina. Anyone know ideal location (safety) of an apartment complex? She has researched Dilworth and/or Uptown, thoughts? Main concerns are safety and walking/bike riding accessibility to grocery, parks, cafes, etc. Has a vehicle but LOVES the freedom of walking/bike riding to/from....

She currently has a paralegal degree and is actively applying for Paralegal positions. Will be employeed as a night shift server at a local restaurant while job hunting during day.

She is ready to soar and I am 100% supportive!!!!

And maggiemovingtocharlotte1, glad to know STEELERS fans there, love our black n gold!!!!

Last edited by dawn3333lovinglife; 02-08-2015 at 10:08 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 11:22 AM

1 posts, read 26,280 times
We recently moved to Ballantyne from Northern Va and I can't say enough of how wonderful this area and city is (ie. cost of living, family lifestyle, neighbors, weather, church, traffic, etc.). I moved my wife and two children under the age of 2 here and only wish I had done it sooner.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 02-09-2015 at 12:52 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 07:04 PM

118 posts, read 299,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn3333lovinglife View Post
Hi all!!!! Helping my 23 year old daughter make the move to Charlotte or nearby, North Carolina. Anyone know ideal location (safety) of an apartment complex? She has researched Dilworth and/or Uptown, thoughts? Main concerns are safety and walking/bike riding accessibility to grocery, parks, cafes, etc. Has a vehicle but LOVES the freedom of walking/bike riding to/from....

She currently has a paralegal degree and is actively applying for Paralegal positions. Will be employeed as a night shift server at a local restaurant while job hunting during day.

She is ready to soar and I am 100% supportive!!!!

And maggiemovingtocharlotte1, glad to know STEELERS fans there, love our black n gold!!!!
I have been researching and will probably live in the South End area right next to Dilworth. Looks like it has everything you put in your post and its very close to Uptown without being in it.

Old 02-10-2015, 10:49 PM

8 posts, read 39,273 times
Not quite in the moving to Charlotte Summer 2015 Club but I'm close. I just got word that I may need to be in Charlotte by the middle of March if not sooner.

My company announced they were moving our jobs to Charlotte and we could apply for a position at the new location. I just heard today that I'll be getting an offer but I haven't seen it yet. If I accept they want me out there ASAP.

I'm a single female in my early 40's. I have no children but I do have a cat. The new facility for work will be in Ayrsley but it won't be ready until Mid-April. The temporary work location appears to be just west of the 77 and 74 interchange.

I currently rent a duplex for $550/mo in Memphis, TN in an area that sounds similar to the NoDa area of Charlotte. My current place has no amenities except a washer/dryer in my unit. I currently have a problem with pests and mold so when I read bad apartment reviews I have to remind myself that my current place wouldn't get a glowing review either.

I'd prefer to live closer to work (Ayrsley location) to cut down on the commute time (thinking Steele Creek or possibly South End but not sure). Looking for a 1 bedroom apartment (will consider non apartment rentals too) that accepts cats. I don't really care about amenities although a washer and dryer in the unit would be awesome, but not absolutely necessary. I would like to live in a mostly safe area. I won't know what my budget will be until I see the offer so I'm currently looking for "cheap" apartments (under $800).

Some apartments I've looked at on-line are:
Sterling Steele Creek
Arbor Steele Creek
York Ridge Apartments

I would love to hear feedback on any of these or other suggestions. Thank you!

Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 PM

2 posts, read 26,160 times
Hi we are moving to Charlotte from Greenville,SC. We are a family of four (kids age 7 & 5). We are thinking of moving to the Ballantyne area. Husband's job is moving to the CLT airport area. Need help choosing good elementary school area. Possibly Bain, Ballantyne, Elon, Hawk Ridge area. Do you know anything that might help us choose one over the other?thanks.

Old 02-15-2015, 02:05 PM

7 posts, read 53,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
As suggested, here's a thread for those of us moving to Charlotte this summer. I know there are quite a few of us! If you want to join the club, come on in! No membership requirements besides the obvious I am hoping we can share our experiences and get advice from other posters.

Please introduce yourself....I'll start:

We are moving from Columbus, OH for my husband's job. He will be working uptown (we call it downtown here!). I work full time from home. Our kids are 8 and 4 and will be in third grade and pre-K next year. Our housing budget is $500k and we are looking in the Southpark area. I am a bit of an insane school researcher (as you will see) because, like many of you I'm sure, schools are my #1 concern!
GoodDay9876, How are the schools in Charlotte Mecklenburg compared to the schools in Columbus, OH? Which resource are you using to search the statistics? Are you and your husband planning to have your children attend public or private schools?

Old 02-16-2015, 10:03 PM

21 posts, read 56,861 times
When we bought our last house in the CLT area, the schools were our #1 concern. Next, we wanted a custom-built house on an acre+ lot, full of hardwoods, in a small upscale community. Oh, and I worked uptown and my husband worked in Cornelius, and we hate long commutes. I nearly drove myself insane! For us, the winner by far was the North Lincoln school district. Our particular neighborhood of choice was Quinlan Estates. I don't know what is available in that area now, but it is wonderful, and we miss it! Best of luck to everybody. Here's to a great 2015! :-D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte