Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2015, 08:05 AM

25 posts, read 47,718 times

Advertisements

I am also moving from MSP! I am 30-something and single with 1 dog, he is a 70 lb guy. I am shooting for the same type area, but will be working in south Charlotte. I am going to rent before buying. What areas have you guys looked at? I am hoping to find at least a small fenced in yard for my dog. It is proving to be a bit of a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbutler1 View Post
Moving in the next month from Minneapolis. 30 something year olds with 2 dogs. Like to be active outside.
Schools are only really important for us for resale as we don't have kids. Looking for the neighborhood vibe without being in the 'burbs. Considering area like Myers Park, Elizabeth/Chantilly, Dilworth, and Plaza Midwood. Want to be walkable to shops/restaurants. Excited to live in Charlotte, seems like a great place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2015, 04:35 PM

49 posts, read 160,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
As suggested, here's a thread for those of us moving to Charlotte this summer. I know there are quite a few of us! If you want to join the club, come on in! No membership requirements besides the obvious I am hoping we can share our experiences and get advice from other posters.

Please introduce yourself....I'll start:

We are moving from Columbus, OH for my husband's job. He will be working uptown (we call it downtown here!). I work full time from home. Our kids are 8 and 4 and will be in third grade and pre-K next year. Our housing budget is $500k and we are looking in the Southpark area. I am a bit of an insane school researcher (as you will see) because, like many of you I'm sure, schools are my #1 concern!
Yes, schools are very important to me as well. I have 2 high schoolers. My husband is seeking a job in the area now. I'm so excited to have found this group!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:06 PM

1 posts, read 24,256 times
Hello, Im glad i found this chat! I've been considering the move for 2 years and will either move this August or Next June...Im a single mom with a 6 yr old and schools are No. 1 for me as well. Ill keep checking to see how everyone's move goes and keep up the area recommendations!!

Old 03-04-2015, 05:05 PM

6 posts, read 28,463 times
HI , Hopfully my husband and I will be packing up mom and moving from PA come August. I have 3 boys 20,16 and 13. so far only my 13yr old is coming. Hoping to talk the other 2 into joining us. Not sure where yet. Need the look and feel of PA without the snow lol. We will be looking for jobs once we are there. My husband is in car sales and I work in the office. We are going to try and find a a 3/4 bd to rent but would like to stay around 1000.00 a month.

Old 03-05-2015, 11:58 AM
hnz

2 posts, read 49,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodDay9876 View Post
hnz - I think the Ardrey Kell and Providence HS zoned houses would be great for you - the schools are big, but seem to have niches for everyone. I can't speak from experience though - just my research. There are TONS of neighborhoods around those schools that would fit what you need. Walkability will not be very prevalent in South Charlotte though - for that, you'd need to go up to Elizabeth or Dilworth. I haven't done much research on Union County so I'm not much help there.

fittoac - good luck in Mooresville! sounds like you are really confident and happy with the choice!
Thanks for the reply GoodDay-I hear AK is full of snobs and cliques and PHS is extremely challenging academically. I actually spoke to someone in the office a cpl of weeks ago at PHS and she said that it's extremely hard and your child has to be up for the challenge. My son is smart and I want him to be challenged but I'm also not looking to set him up for failure before he even starts. I want a varied student body so he doesn't spend all his energy simply trying to "keep up". I'm trying to narrow down my search. Searching and reading the amount of information out there can oddly enough start having an adverse affect and become too confusing to be helpful. Does that make sense? Anyway...I have Weddington HS, living in Matthews at the top of my list right now. Matthews looks like a cute little town too. Where we are now has an active town center and that's important to me. I def don't want only new developments and no charm. I like the school size in UC too. I just need summer to get here so we can start putting all the planning into place. If you hear anything else that could be helpful, just let me know. Hope your search is going well!

Old 03-07-2015, 09:28 PM

16 posts, read 43,799 times
Wink Hi!

Hi everybody! Well my brother has been trying to get me to move from Detroit to Charlotte since 2011. I chose the West Coast - Arizona - April 2014 since its driveable to Las Vegas, California and the most important thing NO ice or snow. After about 6 months I was ready to leave. I'm a soon to be 47 yr. old Blk female (Insurance Agent) w/ no kids I like a good "Happy Hour" to network and party w/ my age group. It's just too slow & there's not enough culture here for me. All of my friends that live here are transplants mostly from the Midwest & East Coast. I was going to highway it down the road to Vegas BUT I do miss my family and that East Coast swag. I'm going to give Charlotte a try and I'm hoping "Uptown" really feels like a "downtown." My fingers are crossed I'll be in Charlotte late July!

Old 03-08-2015, 08:11 AM

7 posts, read 53,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCJOHNSON View Post
HI , Hopfully my husband and I will be packing up mom and moving from PA come August. I have 3 boys 20,16 and 13. so far only my 13yr old is coming. Hoping to talk the other 2 into joining us. Not sure where yet. Need the look and feel of PA without the snow lol. We will be looking for jobs once we are there. My husband is in car sales and I work in the office. We are going to try and find a a 3/4 bd to rent but would like to stay around 1000.00 a month.

Hi DMCJOHNSON,
I would advise you and your husband to secure employment before moving down to Charlotte. If you read the archived posts, many have tried that strategy and it wasn't easy for them. Perhaps you both can look for jobs during a visit first. Best wishes to you both.

Old 03-11-2015, 11:41 AM

23 posts, read 68,767 times
Hi all,

Well I am officially moving back to Charlotte this spring, any advise as to nice neighborhoods in the Matthews/Indian Trail or Stallings area for rent? I am looking for no more then $900.00 a month and preferably at least two bedrooms. If there is nothing in that area anyone is aware of how about the surrounding areas? The job that I accepted is in Matthews near the Austin Village HT. Please help Thanks in advance!

Renee

Old 03-14-2015, 06:14 PM

8 posts, read 52,998 times
Hi All,
My husband and I are considering a move to SC or NC this summer. He telecommutes so won't need a job and I stay home. We have 4 kids, in the fall we will have a freshman in HS, an 8th grader, 5th grader and 1st grade. I stay home and we currently live in MN. Before that we lived in small town WI for 12 years. Looking forward to getting away from freezing temps and snow! We would love a smaller community that isn't too far from the city, maybe 20 minutes away? One of the things we don't really enjoy about our current city is there's not a lot of community unless you work at Mayo clinic which we don't. We do love our neighborhood so hoping we can find another great neighborhood like here with kids running around, playing. Right now we are considering the Lake Norman areas but have much research to do regarding schools. In about 2 weeks we will be heading to Greenville SC and then up to Charlotte area. Glad to be part of this thread and looking forward to visiting in a few weeks! Thanks for all the input already everyone, it's been very helpful!
Ange

Old 03-15-2015, 03:39 PM

49 posts, read 71,784 times
Hey all,

Me and my family will be relocating in April. We are looking to rent a 3-4 bedroom home no more than 1200 per month. I am in human services field, without a job lined up but actively looking. I have about 4 months saved. I definitely need insight on child care services as I have three kids , twins that are in pre k and another child in elementary. It is soo important for me to locate a school with smaller classrooms and dedicated teachers, seems like the educators here are overwhelmed and too scrutinized too enjoy their jobs. Someone tell me about Social Services..what is offered for newbies..opportunities for engagement with other transplants, job leads...anything is welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte