Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2021, 07:49 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
Thank you and you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what I am looking for! Do you think Sherwood Forest, Sardis Woods, or anything west of Independence Blvd is a better overall option over Highland Creek if we can make it happen? Would you say Sherwood forest is more desirable overall? I know its hard to get in but if we can swing an older 4/2 right at 2000 square feet that's doable for us. I haven't ruled mint hill out. I went to Independence High school and spent time in mint hill growing up which is making me a bit opposed to it but that was also 15-20 years ago. I see a lot of new homes being built in the area and we are not new build people. I prefer established lots where you have renovate or tear down to rebuild. I was interested in Matthews until some friends told me about unfortunate incidents they have had in the area so i'm hesitant.
If you intend to do a teardown, be sure to check the HOA rules to see if it's allowed before you buy in the neighborhood. HC is around 20 years old so I'm sure some of the houses most likely need an update. Often you need HOA approval to put a shed or fence so I can't imagine trying to get approval to tear down a house and put a new one up. HC is also split between two counties - Meck and Cabarrus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 08:14 AM

147 posts, read 215,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
If you intend to do a teardown, be sure to check the HOA rules to see if it's allowed before you buy in the neighborhood. HC is around 20 years old so I'm sure some of the houses most likely need an update. Often you need HOA approval to put a shed or fence so I can't imagine trying to get approval to tear down a house and put a new one up. HC is also split between two counties - Meck and Cabarrus.
Thanks! I wouldn't do a tear down in HC, only interior updates since many were built in the late 90s early 2000s. I was interested in if its possible to paint the brick houses in HC but from the looks of their HOA website they are pretty strict so probably not. The bigger updates were in reference to sherwood forest, stonehaven, etc. where many of the homes were built in the 80s and from the looks of the many flips in the neighborhood you can pretty much do what you want with your property. These neighborhoods, atleast online, look to be less cookie cutter than master planned neighborhoods like HC.

Old 02-23-2021, 08:31 AM

335 posts, read 427,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uniquestar06 View Post
Thank you and you've hit the nail on the head in terms of what I am looking for! Do you think Sherwood Forest, Sardis Woods, or anything west of Independence Blvd is a better overall option over Highland Creek if we can make it happen? Would you say Sherwood forest is more desirable overall? I know its hard to get in but if we can swing an older 4/2 right at 2000 square feet that's doable for us. I haven't ruled mint hill out. I went to Independence High school and spent time in mint hill growing up which is making me a bit opposed to it but that was also 15-20 years ago. I see a lot of new homes being built in the area and we are not new build people. I prefer established lots where you have renovate or tear down to rebuild. I was interested in Matthews until some friends told me about unfortunate incidents they have had in the area so i'm hesitant.
In my opinion, desirability is very subjective and what I find desirable and "worth the money" may be very different than you or others...but yes, the south charlotte area in general is one of the most desirable locations in the charlotte metro...I mean, a 3,000 square foot house in highland creek will set you back $325-425k...that budget gets you closer to 1,500-2,000 square feet that needs some updating in the south charlotte area, so clearly the market is hotter and more expensive there for a reason...but if you can find something in the "wedge" of south charlotte, south of uptown, east of 77, west of independence, then you will likely have a very good investment on your hands, especially if you can handle some minor renovations or updating along the way. I also love the older, more mature neighborhoods with charm and character, definitely more of that in south charlotte than around highland creek or that vicinity.

That's unfortunate to hear about a friend having a negative experience in matthews, as a gay man and as someone who has worked with multiple gay families in Matthews, I am hopeful it was an isolated incident, regardless of what the incident was about. But I have always felt very safe and welcomed anywhere in the charlotte metro, and I'd consider giving Matthews a second chance if you could, it is a wonderful place.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:36 PM

4 posts, read 7,185 times
Default renting my condo on golf course for anyone moving here

Hi I just got married and have moved to my husbands house. I have a fully furnished 2100 three bedroom condo on the piperglen golf course I am willing to rent out to a family for a year. rice is 3000 per month with one year contract. High end half million dollar property
Tera

Old 03-13-2021, 05:29 AM

1,261 posts, read 559,929 times
One thing I'm pleasantly surprised about with the job search: civil service hiring moves surprisingly fast. I applied for a few jobs figuring it would be like NY where it takes 6+ months to hear anything. On the contrary, I was being offered interviews in a few weeks. The problem is actually having to politely decline some of these because we will not be ready to move until the Fall. I have one process I'll go through and hope that the job wants me enough to wait a little while, but it is comforting to know that backups seem to be plentiful and fast.

Old 04-14-2021, 01:05 PM

12 posts, read 17,053 times
Default Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPC324 View Post
One thing I'm pleasantly surprised about with the job search: civil service hiring moves surprisingly fast. I applied for a few jobs figuring it would be like NY where it takes 6+ months to hear anything. On the contrary, I was being offered interviews in a few weeks. The problem is actually having to politely decline some of these because we will not be ready to move until the Fall. I have one process I'll go through and hope that the job wants me enough to wait a little while, but it is comforting to know that backups seem to be plentiful and fast.
Hello, I am like many others looking to relocate out of the cold and I have been applying to civil service jobs as well. I am specifically looking to continue my career in Social Services you have any tips or leads on who is hiring? Thank you

Old 05-23-2021, 07:18 PM

2 posts, read 10,219 times
Hi all,

My wife and I are looking to relocate to the Charlotte area from Denver, CO within the next 6-8 months. I work in finance and she's in veterinary services. I'm originally from VA and lived in the south until currently in CO. She's from CA.

We're currently scoping out Charlotte and really like the Ballyntine area. Are there suggestions for other similar areas in south/southwestern Charlotte? We'd want to initially be in an apartment to get a feel before buying a house. Our current rent is $2100 for a 2 br, 2 bath for 1263 sq feet. We'd like something nice and similar size but able to save some to put towards a downpayment on a house.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 05-24-2021, 08:56 AM

2,411 posts, read 2,690,627 times
Some others areas on the southern side you might also like include South Park, Fort Mill, and Arboretum. Ballantyne is a great start though. Depending on where in CA your wife is from, Ballantyne is a lot like Irvine, Thousand Oaks, Santa Clarita, Rancho Bernardo, et.

Old 05-25-2021, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 10,219 times
Thank you CLT4! It's much appreciated!

Old 05-30-2021, 10:30 AM

34 posts, read 36,874 times
We are planning to move to center city Charlotte. Does anyone here know where I can find detailed information on what it is really like to live in particular buildings?

For instance, we really love the Trademark, but a 28 story building with 200 apartments and only 2 elevators and no freight elevator seems like a potential nightmare.

I want to find out what it is really like to live in different buildings in Uptown, not what the realtor chooses to feed me.

Thx in advance, Janet
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte