Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 PM

193 posts, read 495,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernbornsoutherner View Post
Hi All,
My husband and I are considering a move to SC or NC this summer. He telecommutes so won't need a job and I stay home. We have 4 kids, in the fall we will have a freshman in HS, an 8th grader, 5th grader and 1st grade. I stay home and we currently live in MN. Before that we lived in small town WI for 12 years. Looking forward to getting away from freezing temps and snow! We would love a smaller community that isn't too far from the city, maybe 20 minutes away? One of the things we don't really enjoy about our current city is there's not a lot of community unless you work at Mayo clinic which we don't. We do love our neighborhood so hoping we can find another great neighborhood like here with kids running around, playing. Right now we are considering the Lake Norman areas but have much research to do regarding schools. In about 2 weeks we will be heading to Greenville SC and then up to Charlotte area. Glad to be part of this thread and looking forward to visiting in a few weeks! Thanks for all the input already everyone, it's been very helpful!
Ange
Hi, Welcome to Lake Norman! It's actually a pretty big area to enjoy; however most of it is not located within 20 minutes of the city. Being that you are from the "The land of lakes" you'll surely enjoy our 500 miles of shoreline. There is a lot to research when it comes to schools here; and you'll find a wealth of information good and bad concerning CMS. I encourage you to google as well as a look at great schools website. Another fabulous source of information is the actual schools PTO website. You can get a real feel for how the community comes together with the schools - for example; family nights, art fundraisers, band a thons, ect...
I reside in Mooresville, NC about 30 miles north of the Charlotte. Iredell Statesville Schools and Mooresville Graded Schools share our area and both are ranked very well. It's worth taking a look; as well, we have extremely easy lake access. Many of our neighborhoods have waterfront or dock access to the lake. There is a significant tax difference on housing when you go from Charlotte Mecklenburg County(More) to Iredell County(Less). The commute to Charlotte has never bothered us because we don't keep regular commute hours. In terms of community, there is a lot more of neighborhood communities. Some of our neighborhoods seem like little cities within themselves and the neighbors truly do gather for activities and social occasions. In my local area, the parents seem to get involved within the school community. I have children who have gone through Iredell Statesville Schools from Elementary through 9th grade as of now and would be glad to give you more specific information. We have attended Woodland Heights, Brawley Middle, Mount Mourne IB and Lake Norman High School. The weather can't be beat, for that I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. My husband (originally from Chicago area) once almost had me convinced to move to Lake Redstone, WI....I simply couldn't move anywhere where you have to plug your car in during the winter so that it will start!!! If you need to chat with a local, just private message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 02:26 AM

3,941 posts, read 6,721,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlaagnini View Post
Hi, Welcome to Lake Norman! It's actually a pretty big area to enjoy; however most of it is not located within 20 minutes of the city. Being that you are from the "The land of lakes" you'll surely enjoy our 500 miles of shoreline. There is a lot to research when it comes to schools here; and you'll find a wealth of information good and bad concerning CMS. I encourage you to google as well as a look at great schools website. Another fabulous source of information is the actual schools PTO website. You can get a real feel for how the community comes together with the schools - for example; family nights, art fundraisers, band a thons, ect...
I reside in Mooresville, NC about 30 miles north of the Charlotte. Iredell Statesville Schools and Mooresville Graded Schools share our area and both are ranked very well. It's worth taking a look; as well, we have extremely easy lake access. Many of our neighborhoods have waterfront or dock access to the lake. There is a significant tax difference on housing when you go from Charlotte Mecklenburg County(More) to Iredell County(Less). The commute to Charlotte has never bothered us because we don't keep regular commute hours. In terms of community, there is a lot more of neighborhood communities. Some of our neighborhoods seem like little cities within themselves and the neighbors truly do gather for activities and social occasions. In my local area, the parents seem to get involved within the school community. I have children who have gone through Iredell Statesville Schools from Elementary through 9th grade as of now and would be glad to give you more specific information. We have attended Woodland Heights, Brawley Middle, Mount Mourne IB and Lake Norman High School. The weather can't be beat, for that I can assure you that you won't be disappointed. My husband (originally from Chicago area) once almost had me convinced to move to Lake Redstone, WI....I simply couldn't move anywhere where you have to plug your car in during the winter so that it will start!!! If you need to chat with a local, just private message me.
This helpful, friendly response is one reason I miss living in the south, Charlotte in particular! Carlaagnini, I sure hope you're around when I eventually move back to the area!

Old 03-17-2015, 04:33 AM

193 posts, read 495,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goolsbyjazz View Post
This helpful, friendly response is one reason I miss living in the south, Charlotte in particular! Carlaagnini, I sure hope you're around when I eventually move back to the area!
Thanks, goolsbyjazz; I'm sure I will be!

Old 03-17-2015, 09:04 PM

8 posts, read 52,998 times
Thank you for all the info and warm welcome @carlaagnini! We are checking things out so will be sure to message you for more info!

Old 03-19-2015, 08:07 AM

653 posts, read 781,365 times
Just moved to Charlotte this past December from NYC. We've settled into the Pineville area because it offers plenty to do, shopping, amenities, and for me it is very close to work in the Ballantyne area.

We are scheduled to move to Indian Trail this summer where we are under contract for a new construction that came in at around $190k.

Indian Trail offers great schools, which was our #1 concern even though our girls are still very young, but we wanted to be in an area where the schools were good. This area is still a little under-developed, but construction is booming here, so it will be pretty populated soon enough. Our community is the Fieldstone Farm community by Centex Homes.

Old 03-21-2015, 09:03 PM

3 posts, read 24,533 times
I will be moving in June, my husband is already there. He was able to get his job transferred there. We bought a house in a new development in Indian Trail/Hemby Bridge in Dec. I will move from Baltimore after this school year is over (I am a teacher). We looked at several areas and wanted to stay in Union County bc of the lower taxes. Unfortunately they went up in Jan to about what they are in Meck. county. I'm looking forward to the move but am going to miss the variety of restaurants and the waterfront. We are hoping to sell our house fairly quickly now that the weather is getting better. We are in our early 50s. My husband is loving it there so far.

Old 03-26-2015, 04:10 PM

49 posts, read 160,007 times
I am so excited! My teenagers accepted the news well, and so did my mother as well as the other parents!

Charlotte or bust!!

Old 03-27-2015, 05:00 PM

8 posts, read 34,385 times
Hello,
So excited for all of you moving down here!! I just moved to Waxhaw a year ago and really like it.
I have my post about here about the transition. Check it out- is under AZ MOM. I know how stressful that is so if you guys have any questions, send me a message and I will try my best

Old 03-28-2015, 05:07 PM

25 posts, read 67,620 times
Default we are coming too and love lofts!!

My husband got job in wells Fargo uptown and so happy to come to Charlotte. ��
We currently live in Atlanta. It will be end of April when we move.

I love lofts and we can afford rent up to $900. Can anyone please suggest best areas to live that are safe and convenient? The maps shows these lofts in noda kinda deserted and ghetto. Scary!! But photos of the lofts are so nice.

We are planning to come over next week and look around. But if you can provide your suggestions it will be really helpful and appreciate all and the one who started the thread.

Old 03-29-2015, 09:25 PM

1 posts, read 21,378 times
I just found this website. I can't believe so many people are moving to Charlotte! Currently we are living in Colorado. My husband is retired military and this is the second time we've lived in Colorado. I just don't seem to do as well at a high altitude. Our houses on the market right now for $420,000 but I would really like to downsize to around $200,000. We have four children 21, 18, 12, & 9. Right now only the youngest two boys are coming with us. Our #1 priority is schools. Both of the boys are on an IEP – individual education plan. I would really like a school/district that are not only top-rated, but are great with these kids. I was looking at Union County, Fort Mill and Mooresville. Hubby will be working at the hospital 3 days a week - 12 hour shifts, so commute and traffic are not a big issue. Thanks so much with any help or advice you can give.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte