Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2018, 03:14 PM

15 posts, read 33,003 times

Advertisements

Stay in Ohio. Charlotte is full. NY transplants already trampled it. We can only hope that the cliche Giants fan that badmouths the panthers but relo'd here gets a ride back to NY with the loser Giants.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2018, 05:53 PM

193 posts, read 496,064 times
How did the trip go? Were you able to check out Cornelius or Huntersville? The lake area has such a great vibe for your age group. Would you be willing to consider a townhome or condo? Can't wait to hear how the trip went.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,465 times
Hey Guys,
NYC Long Island here looking at relocating. Friends suggested Mooresville, Lake Norman? Looking nice neighborhood Excellent schools (11yo 14yo) Both adults professionals Nurse practitioner and restaurant owner.
Open to ideas.

Old 10-16-2018, 10:23 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,702,725 times
Are you looking to open a new restaurant here or will you just be operating your restaurants from home?
(ie is a prospective restaurant location also a factor in where you live).

Old 10-18-2018, 06:39 AM

2 posts, read 9,968 times
So my trip planned very well. I got a chance to get around pretty much the uptown, NODA, Myers Park, Midwood and most of the West side. The traffic is not that bad compared to Columbus but I realize the issue is that a lot of people move to Charlotte from other cities and the city was not built are prepared to handle the influx. The expansion get construction on 77 should help with that soon. The weather is beautiful, prices are reasonable, and for the people actually from Charlotte, the Southern charm is what I grew up being used to (all of my family is from Georgia). I realize that most of the homes that I saw one driving through neighborhoods was in the 400,000 $450,000 range however the property taxes were still extremely cheap compared to Columbus.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:15 AM

132 posts, read 171,679 times
Where is the newest/cleanest neighborhood in the CLT area? Ballantyne area? Is this an appropriate place for someone in their mid-20's?

Where else are the younger professional neighborhoods that aren't in a "student ghetto"?

Old 10-24-2018, 11:26 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,702,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adebord View Post
Where is the newest/cleanest neighborhood in the CLT area? Ballantyne area? Is this an appropriate place for someone in their mid-20's?

Where else are the younger professional neighborhoods that aren't in a "student ghetto"?
It depends on what you consider "appropriate" for somebody in their mid-20's. Ballantyne is a newer area and very clean for example. It is suburban and age demographics skew towards families with children. 4.8% of the population in zip 28277 (Ballantyne) is between 25 and 30. The largest share is 40-44 year olds at 9.3% of the population. The median age is 37.9. You have good access to big box shopping and nice Targets, Michaels, Harris Teeters, etc...

You might consider an area like "South End", zip code 28203. 18.2% of the population is between 25 and 30 years old. The median age is 32.1 years old. I would not consider the area a "student ghetto." It is largely working professionals, often in their 20's and 30's that earn high incomes to afford the expensive rent at the new luxury apartments in the neighborhood. The neighborhood has a good food scene and is the hub for Charlotte's craft breweries. Big box shopping is nearby, but not as plentiful / easy to access as more suburban neighborhoods like Ballantyne.

Old 10-24-2018, 11:27 AM

132 posts, read 171,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLT4 View Post
It depends on what you consider "appropriate" for somebody in their mid-20's. Ballantyne is a newer area and very clean for example. It is suburban and age demographics skew towards families with children. 4.8% of the population in zip 28277 (Ballantyne) is between 25 and 30. The largest share is 40-44 year olds at 9.3% of the population. The median age is 37.9.

You might consider an area like "South End", zip code 28203. 18.2% of the population is between 25 and 30 years old. The median age is 32.1 years old. I would not consider the area a "student ghetto." It is largely working professionals, often in their 20's and 30's that earn high incomes to afford the expensive rent at the new luxury apartments in the neighborhood.
Thanks for the information!

Old 11-24-2018, 07:01 PM

1 posts, read 5,074 times
Default Head start program

Hi we are planning to move to Charlotte around May 2019. We have 3 kids. The older one is 4 and half years old with autism and he is the main reason we are moving, it's hard to get the therapies he needs in Memphis TN, his little sister is 2 years old and is a little delayed in speech so I would like to register her in school with the Head start program but I am scared that if we come in May the waiting list would be too long and she will have to stay home all day long.
Do you know if the waiting list for head start is usually long ? any tips to register her before we move there or any other suggestions ?
Thanks

Old 01-02-2019, 08:03 PM

3 posts, read 7,494 times
Default 4BR+ Bonus 2.5 bath 2850 sqft North Huntersville NC Pre-listing!!

For anyone relocating to the Charlotte area and interested in moving to Lake Norman, Huntersville, Cornelius, etc. We moved here last April so I can offer some recommendations about mortgage lenders and insurance agents. I also have a list of contractors I used to do some work.

We love it here in the Cambridge Grove neighborhood but my husband was offered his dream job out of state. We've bought and sold 6 homes in the past 22 years in NC, IN & KS with the help of realtors and have appreciated their expertise. I have absolutely nothing against realtors. They perform a very valuable service for which they should be paid. But given some circumstances, I believe DIY is appropriate. For example, given that we haven't owned our home long we don't have the equity built up to be able to afford more than 3% commission to a buyers agent, which I'm happy to pay. I've always used buyer's agents when we bought in the past because their commission came out of the 6% paid by the seller. However when I calculated what our proceeds would be if I had to pay a buyers agent 3% I realized that I would have to raise our asking price quite a bit to cover some of that. Having owned our house for a year this spring I don't want to lose around $10K!!
I realized if there are no realtors involved I can list it below fair market value and not lose thousands of dollars... and the buyer gets a good deal. That's what I call a WIN-WIN!! Especially in this market! I understand why most folks wouldn't want to deal with trying to sell their house FSBO. It's a lot of work....and I'm just getting started! But I think with the amount of information that we have access to being able to find comparable houses (same size, age, features, etc or close to it) especially in a subdivision like mine, that have sold within the last 60 days, well informed people should be able to come up with a fair price. I don't have an emotional attachment to my home because I haven't lived here long enough although I understand a lot of FSBOs do and tend to overprice their homes. The problem is trying to find the buyers who aren't afraid to work directly with a seller. I understand not trusting strangers, especially when it's the most expensive purchase a person will likely make. But the home inspection the buyer pays for will point out any issues. I guess it's the negotiating that scares people off. The buyer can easily hire a real estate attorney to make sure the contract is sound. And make sure the seller has given the disclosures. And the seller can hire a title company to deal with all that paperwork and hold the earnest money deposit. The due diligence period can be negotiated. Anyhoo, hopefully someone will be interested in my home because honestly I'd love to save myself and the next owner some money. It's in a desirable, established neighborhood with larger tree lined yards just past a shopping center where we can walk to Starbucks and Panera. The market was crazy last year in Huntersville and our home was under contract the first week. Plus we took down the outdated wallpaper and painted it Agreeable Grey throughout and refinished the honey oak floors in an Espresso stain and enclosed the backyard with a fence. I have no doubt the same thing will happen again if I listed it. But the buyer would pay thousands more and I would lose thousands
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte