Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 08:18 AM

79 posts, read 231,720 times

Advertisements

When we were looking for a home in the Charlotte area, we stayed in a hotel in Cornelius and discovered Birkdale Village. Great place to stop by for a quick bite to eat or to do some shopping. The complex is open, clean, relatively quiet and has the kind of charm that attracted us to Charlotte. Kind of a throwback to the 50's/60's.

SD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
They are supposed to build another one Called Lake Norman Village in Cornelius that is supposed to trump Birkdale. There is also Phillips Place in S. Charlotte. I believe Mooresville now has something too!

Old 01-08-2008, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
They are supposed to build another one Called Lake Norman Village in Cornelius that is supposed to trump Birkdale. There is also Phillips Place in S. Charlotte. I believe Mooresville now has something too!
Thanks....my wife's cousin and her husband are coming to town next week...Birkdale is very reminicent of a mural he painted in Bucyrus, Ohio...see below

http://www.ultimategarage.com/EricGrohe/crossroadsafter4-lge.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-08-2008, 10:11 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times
Nice Mural.. you don't see too many places like that these days.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whytewulf View Post
Nice Mural.. you don't see too many places like that these days.
What's impressive is that it started as an ugly wall on a downtown street corner....

http://www.ultimategarage.com/EricGrohe/crossroadsbefore-1.jpg (broken link)

Eric is coming to Charlotte next week to give a class and I want to show him around the city a bit. Here's some other before and after pics of his work....see Murals (http://www.ultimategarage.com/EricGrohe/murals.htm - broken link) .

SD

Old 01-08-2008, 10:29 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
I received something like this in a email. He truly is gifted!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:50 AM

255 posts, read 885,174 times
Same land developer is creating Berewick - Location. Location. Lifestyle. as well.

Lake Wylie though.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:03 PM

93 posts, read 391,292 times
Ballantyne Village is nice; very swanky. I really like Birkdale, too.

Check it out!

Ballantyne Village

Old 01-10-2008, 06:08 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,748,096 times
You also might like to visit Phillips Place near SouthPark. Its very similar except that the housing (apartments) are next to the development rather than on top of the buildings, and its smaller. But it has the same kind of atmosphere. Also there's a place called Arsley near South Tryon and 485. It a little like that as well. Those places are called lifestyle centers and they're popping up all over the country. They're said to be the new wave in shopping center design. In other words you'll see more of these going up in the future, rather than malls. There are several more to be built in Charlotte too. Along with the Lake Norman development mentioned above, the Ikea development off of I-85, and a large development in Matthews with department stores will both be designed like this. I think the one in Matthews is going to be called The Bridges.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
If I was to design a place like Birkdale I would ban cars in the center and only allow horse carriage rides and bicycles but they have ban on bicycles in Birkdale
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte