Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2015, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 3,578 times

Advertisements

Searching this forum has been incredibly helpful.

We are currently in a rental in South Charlotte and are making this move permanent. Our budget is up to 700k. My husband works from home and we have two young children, so we are looking for space. We've narrowed it down to PCC in South Charlotte or Providence Downs in Waxhaw.

1. PCC seems more affordable, whereas with PD we would be looking at a possible short sale or Man of War Drive which many people have referenced as a cut through street? Is that true so much so that it's not worth living there.

2. Schools/communities, we are in our early 30's and are looking to connect with other young families and want a great sense of community as our children grow up.

Appreciate it, thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2015, 09:05 AM

112 posts, read 171,886 times
I prefer Providence Down South. Keep in mind that property taxes are lower in Union County than Mecklenburg.

You may also want to consider Longbrooke Estates. Indian Land schools are great! In addition, Lancaster Co property taxes are 1/3 that if Mecklenburg. Longbrooke lies about 5 miles south of Ballantyne off of Hwy521 (Johnston Rd). I have included a link to their website for your reference:

Longbrooke Country Estates | Longbrooke Community | Longbrooke Fort Mill

Old 02-15-2015, 08:12 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,744,887 times
Yes, Man of War is a cut through street often used. You will get more for your money in PCC compared to Providence Downs. You will also have a lot more inventory wise to choose from. Yes, the taxes are a little bit higher in Meck. PCC has a gorgeous private clubhouse with unbelievable social amenity package. It was just recently completely redone. Several of my neighbors are members.

Keep in mind the new Waverly development with Whole Foods (anchor tenant) will start opening over the next 8-10 months across from PCC entrance.

Longbrooke estates is about 30% built out. It's styled similar to Providence Downs South with European architecture and it's gated. The location is a little out there but the growth is pushing that way. There are no amenities but the property taxes are almost 60% less than Charlotte.

Old 02-15-2015, 10:51 PM

631 posts, read 881,977 times
PCC and PD are both nice. I prefer PCC for the feel of the neighborhood and the club. Great amenities there. Drawbacks are the higher Meck taxes and the ages of the homes vs PD. Man of War is a major cut through from Rea Road to get to/from the Marvin Ridge schools and surrounding neighborhoods. Don't confuse PD with PDS in some comments, they are different.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:58 AM

398 posts, read 611,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TooLogical View Post
PCC and PD are both nice. I prefer PCC for the feel of the neighborhood and the club. Great amenities there. Drawbacks are the higher Meck taxes and the ages of the homes vs PD. Man of War is a major cut through from Rea Road to get to/from the Marvin Ridge schools and surrounding neighborhoods. Don't confuse PD with PDS in some comments, they are different.
Yes...PD and PDS are VERY different

Old 02-16-2015, 10:40 AM

27 posts, read 55,803 times
Yes, Man of War in PD would be an issue with the cut-through. But there are several houses on other streets in PD, several of which are within the OP's price range.

Old 02-16-2015, 06:48 PM

309 posts, read 761,368 times
Used to live in PD and still have friends on Man of War. They will not let their children play in the front yard because of the issues with the street. On the other hand, there are lots of families in that community, it has amenities and it's Marvin schools.

PCC is in CMS. I believe the kids go to Ardrey Kell, which is tops in CMS. You could probably get more in PCC for your money, but what about HOA fees?

Old 02-18-2015, 05:35 PM

110 posts, read 155,975 times
UGH...We owned a house on Man of War and it took us almost 3 years to sell!! It was a beautiful house and yard! The feedback on our house was always great, but the street was almost always the reason behind them not making an offer. Be careful, I would hate for anyone to have to go through what we did living on that road.

Old 02-19-2015, 08:40 AM

338 posts, read 791,817 times
I live in PCC, HOA is just general entrance maintenance type org with a cost of about $425 a year. You have to join the club separately as a social, tennis or full golf member. We are actually putting our house up for sale in the next couple of months as we want to move to Union county. PCC is a good neighborhood but we want something bigger and newer.

Old 02-19-2015, 05:39 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,095,288 times
The houses on Man of War are really nice. While the traffic cutting through is bothersome, I rarely see anyone speed through. I will say though, that there are people who will tailgate you and these people live in that development.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte