Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2021, 09:54 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,662,941 times

Advertisements

After three thugs robbed and attempted to abduct my family member she fought to her death, I took a self defense class. In my opinion it is hard to have enough fight for a female to go hand to hand combat. Maybe because it was a class instead of real life, but it was difficult to even pretend to use my thumbs to gouge eyeballs. However, if it came to defending my DH I think that would be a different story.

With all the social unrest today, we are looking into getting a gun for our house. A L.E. we know recommended only a single shot but that doesn't seem enough, especially in a fearful situation. What would others recommend before we ask the salesperson?

I encourage everyone to take a self defense class, if for no other reason than to build confidence, especially if you are outnumbered by thugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2021, 10:08 PM

728 posts, read 302,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
After three thugs robbed and attempted to abduct my family member she fought to her death, I took a self defense class. In my opinion it is hard to have enough fight for a female to go hand to hand combat. Maybe because it was a class instead of real life, but it was difficult to even pretend to use my thumbs to gouge eyeballs. However, if it came to defending my DH I think that would be a different story.

With all the social unrest today, we are looking into getting a gun for our house. A L.E. we know recommended only a single shot but that doesn't seem enough, especially in a fearful situation. What would others recommend before we ask the salesperson?

I encourage everyone to take a self defense class, if for no other reason than to build confidence, especially if you are outnumbered by thugs.

Isn't it better to move to a safer neighborhood?

Old 03-02-2021, 06:27 AM

468 posts, read 826,552 times
[quote=Heidi60;60511912] ............ A L.E. we know recommended only a single shot but that doesn't seem enough, especially in a fearful situation. What would others recommend before we ask the salesperson? ....

A single shot? Good luck with that.

In a high stress situation, chance are you might have to fire several shots before you hit anything.

And with people jacked up on drugs, there are cases of 18 rounds from a 9mm won't stop them.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chenping View Post
Isn't it better to move to a safer neighborhood?
We/she did live in a safe neighborhood but people can't live isolated. Just walking to your car can get you killed when some thugs are targeting tall blonde women for robbery and worse. We were raised to avoid thugs and be very selective about who we associate with but sadly, they don't stay with their own kind when looking for mayhem.

I strongly recommend self defense classes and protection for decent people living in decent neighborhoods because you will be their target.

Many people buy expensive homes in Palo Alto, CA before they understand that East Palo Alto is just on the other side of the freeway and many of their thugs like to cross the freeway. It is too easy to move from one area to another today.

Old 03-02-2021, 11:06 AM

[quote=RoadTraveler;60512964]
Quote:
............ A L.E. we know recommended only a single shot but that doesn't seem enough, especially in a fearful situation. What would others recommend before we ask the salesperson? ....

A single shot? Good luck with that.

In a high stress situation, chance are you might have to fire several shots before you hit anything.

And with people jacked up on drugs, there are cases of 18 rounds from a 9mm won't stop them.
Which is why I thanked the L.E. and then asked here.

Old 03-02-2021, 04:51 PM

11,157 posts, read 7,954,275 times
Quote:

I was told to aim for center mass keep pulling the trigger until the threat has ended or the gun goes click, click.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte