Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 11:54 AM

25 posts, read 30,479 times

Advertisements

My wife and I will be moving to Charlotte this summer from Tampa. We are both mid 20s young professionals. I will be working in Mooresville. I am from Tampa, but i've lived in midtown Atlanta, and Nashville. My wife is originally from Taipei but she grew up outside of NYC and also lived in Nashville which is where we met. I've done some research on neighborhoods and I think the Dilworth/South End/Elizabeth area and the Plaza Midwood neighborhoods would be good fits for us. We would love to be able to walk to nearby restaurants and bars, but a short drive is okay too. We have about $350K to work with for a home or condo. 2/1 1100sq ft is all we really need. Would these neighborhoods be good choices for us? Also, how would that commute be coming from Uptown Charlotte and going to Mooresville? I would be leaving around 7:30-8am each day and coming home around 5pm.

Last edited by tambrose3; 04-09-2015 at 12:43 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 12:24 PM

847 posts, read 1,351,035 times
Th commute either way from/to Mooresville/Charlotte is terrible. It took my wife an hour and thirty 38 minutes to get home the other day and you are talking about further South than she is traveling.

The average commute is about an hour and ten minutes but can be a bit better or worse. From our house to the office is only 29 miles from Charlotte.

If you are working in Mooresville, I think it's worth your time to at least look in Mooresville and see what you think. It has a lot to offer and if you're every thinking about kids, Mooresville has some of the best schools in the state of NC. Taxes are somewhat cheaper also.

Last edited by wevie; 04-09-2015 at 12:34 PM..

Old 04-09-2015, 12:32 PM

142 posts, read 255,368 times
Budget may be a challenge especially in Dilworth and Elizabeth.

Depending on your situation, you may want to rent for a while to determine which area would fit best and get to know what the commute times are looking like.

Old 04-09-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wevie View Post
Th commute either way from/to Mooresville/Charlotte is terrible. It took my wife an hour and thirty 38 minutes to get home the other day and you are talking about further South than she is traveling.

The average commute is about an hour and ten minutes but can be a bit better or worse. From our house to the office is only 24 miles from Charlotte.

If you are working in Mooresville, I think it's worth your time to at least look in Mooresville and see what you think. It has a lot to offer and if you're every thinking about kids, Mooresville has some of the best schools in the state of NC. Taxes are somewhat cheaper also.
Damn. That's unfortunate. My work will be about 1 mile off of exit 31 if that makes any difference. Is the traffic just really slow up 77? I've heard good things about Davidson and it seems to have somewhat of a main street/downtown area.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbutler1 View Post
Budget may be a challenge especially in Dilworth and Elizabeth.
Really? I found these 2 that would be in our price range, or are these in not as good of an area?

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/13.../80461228_zpid

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/70...140793456_zpid

Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
Those are good areas The first one is very small but in a prime location. The second is next to the highway and not as pleasant to walk places. Though the main YMCA is very close.

I would strongly consider uptown itself - in particular the 4th ward and the Gateway area around Johnson and Wales University. You can walk to the grocery store and other uptown places. The biggest plus is you would be closer to I77 for your commute.

Old 04-09-2015, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ex-burgher View Post
Those are good areas The first one is very small but in a prime location. The second is next to the highway and not as pleasant to walk places. Though the main YMCA is very close.

I would strongly consider uptown itself - in particular the 4th ward and the Gateway area around Johnson and Wales University. You can walk to the grocery store and other uptown places. The biggest plus is you would be closer to I77 for your commute.
Thanks for the tip. I was expecting it to be out of my price range, but it looks like I wouldn't have too much trouble finding a place there either. Is it pretty safe to walk around uptown at night? I live near downtown St. Petersburg now so the occasional car break-in and things like that don't really phase me, as long as i'll be safe to walk my dog and walk home from restaurants and bars at night.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:31 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,291,277 times
I would not have a problem walking uptown. Of course people have different perceptions, but there has not been any news of crime sprees uptown. You'll be amazed how uptown residential has exploded, and the more people around, the safer it is.

great places for your dog uptown: Romare Beardon Park and Fourth Ward Park

Old 04-09-2015, 04:04 PM

110 posts, read 159,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose3 View Post
Damn. That's unfortunate. My work will be about 1 mile off of exit 31 if that makes any difference. Is the traffic just really slow up 77? I've heard good things about Davidson and it seems to have somewhat of a main street/downtown area.
Well, you would be commuting against traffic commuting to Mooresville. Most commute from Mooresville to Charlotte. My husband commutes from Fort Mill (which is way further than where you are looking) to Mooresville (Langtree exit) and unless there is an accident, he makes it there in under an hour.

Davidson is very charming. The area around the college is really neat. I have no clue about prices in that area, but I would encourage you to look around. You might like it.

Old 04-09-2015, 06:33 PM

743 posts, read 825,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tambrose3 View Post
My wife and I will be moving to Charlotte this summer from Tampa. We are both mid 20s young professionals. I will be working in Mooresville. I am from Tampa, but i've lived in midtown Atlanta, and Nashville. My wife is originally from Taipei but she grew up outside of NYC and also lived in Nashville which is where we met. I've done some research on neighborhoods and I think the Dilworth/South End/Elizabeth area and the Plaza Midwood neighborhoods would be good fits for us. We would love to be able to walk to nearby restaurants and bars, but a short drive is okay too. We have about $350K to work with for a home or condo. 2/1 1100sq ft is all we really need. Would these neighborhoods be good choices for us? Also, how would that commute be coming from Uptown Charlotte and going to Mooresville? I would be leaving around 7:30-8am each day and coming home around 5pm.
You should have no problem finding a place in your price range especially in Plaza Midwood & SouthEnd. I-77 is only a matter of minutes from SouthEnd & the commute might not be to bad since most traffic will be going in the opposite direction
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte