Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM

1,852 posts, read 5,218,076 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by searpr View Post
This is what I see on the news website: 8:33 a.m. | Today's winter storm is causing only a few minor accidents and area transportation is running smoothly.

Wow. I'm looking outside and I can see that the ground is wet, not icy, and Charlotte doesn't even have any significant changes in elevation that would cause some areas to freeze and not others. :-|
Not true.. .The charlotte area encompasses discussion all the up to the I-40 cooridor and in some places they are getting 5 inches of the stuff, I know Charlotte proper appears to be getting more rain than snow, especially now. In fact they were still getting snow in Salsbury and Statesville and Denver was getting bad sleet. Both those places get Charlotte newscasts as well. I for one would rather them play it safe. A) we don't have the trucks to fix icey roads and B) most people are not used to it. Southern Charlotte got mostly rain and you could see it change north about every ten miles.

Last edited by Whytewulf; 01-17-2008 at 08:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Misfit View Post
Real wood here! The only way to go! brb have to stoke the fire and toss on another log
HEY!!! Not fair!!!! Just get me jealous!

249 posts, read 874,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Geez...talk about a panic..the roads are just wet mostly.....cmon
It is by no means panic... I grew up in NJ so I understand snow and the northern point of view. But I have also lived here long enough to realize it is handled differently here. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

There have been quite a few school bus involved accidents already this year, I personally feel better knowing they are not putting our children at further risk. All it takes is one bus hitting one patch of ice...

Life is really too short to not appreciate a day like today... do you remember how you wished for a snow day when you were growing up? Chances are this is the only day kids here will get for the year. My daughter is absolutely loving it.

Old 01-17-2008, 09:09 AM

10,006 posts, read 11,151,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Charlotte View Post
It is by no means panic... I grew up in NJ so I understand snow and the northern point of view. But I have also lived here long enough to realize it is handled differently here. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

There have been quite a few school bus involved accidents already this year, I personally feel better knowing they are not putting our children at further risk. All it takes is one bus hitting one patch of ice...

Life is really too short to not appreciate a day like today... do you remember how you wished for a snow day when you were growing up? Chances are this is the only day kids here will get for the year. My daughter is absolutely loving it.
Well my daycare is closed and frankly ...not thrilled

Old 01-17-2008, 09:23 AM

870 posts, read 3,527,365 times
You mean my gas fireplace which looks good but produces no heat, doesn't count?

Old 01-17-2008, 09:44 AM

5,979 posts, read 19,891,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
You mean my gas fireplace which looks good but produces no heat, doesn't count?
Yup! Does not count! My gas fireplace produces heat though...lots of it, so much so that we could afford to turn our thermostat down!

Old 01-17-2008, 09:49 AM

12,642 posts, read 15,593,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Walid - not the same unless it's real wood with hot coco and marshmallows to roast!

Yep...got wood, wife's got the smores & hot cocoa...Oh did I mention she's a teacher....lol

Old 01-17-2008, 10:17 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
Yup! Does not count! My gas fireplace produces heat though...lots of it, so much so that we could afford to turn our thermostat down!
Well, I have wood. But gas is so much neater - we make a terrible mess w/ burning wood! Plus, as you said, it really is a heat source.

Shhhhhhhhh - don't tell anyone, but I miss my gas fireplaces!!!!!

Old 01-17-2008, 10:31 AM

1,521 posts, read 4,950,060 times
What??? I love my wood burning fireplace. I do however wish we had an insert but the wife trumped me on that. We do have a gas line going to the fireplace so we can get the wood burning then turn it off to enjoy the natural fire!

Old 01-17-2008, 03:46 PM

240 posts, read 731,791 times
Cool snow

I remember the year (not 2004 storm) that CMS were open as the weather had forecast a light dusting if that. Well, that turned out to be wrong and we had a blizzard. CMS then decided to close and turn the buses around, it took hours for them to get kids home and for parents to go and pick kids up.
A shear nightmare.
That snowstorm stayed with us for a while.

The storm of 2004 was bad but schools were closed.
The ice storm was nasty too and we lost power for a couple of days but friends of mine were without power for 7 days.

I am from London, England and I used to walk to school in the snow!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte