U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:48 PM

116 posts, read 392,830 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is American and I am Czech. We are moving to Charlotte in the summer with 2 children from California. We also moved from Europe before. My transition was not as easy. I had a hard time finding a job that I would enjoy. I have completed undergraduate degree in Spain. It would be much easier transition with US degree. I would suggest that your wife takes it easy and it's not hard on herself. It might take some time. I would recommend for her to get involved with other activities than just job searching from the beginning. Good luck!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 08:04 PM

264 posts, read 865,273 times
Default French Association of Charlotte

Here is a resource for you. I know a couple of French families and they have had no trouble getting along. good luck to you!

French Alliance of Charlotte, NC

Sorry about the incorrect title above; tried to edit. Obviously it's the French Alliance, not Association!

Old 01-18-2008, 11:43 PM

197 posts, read 636,596 times
Cunparis,
I think you and your wife will find Charlotte very enjoyable. As you notice it the cost of living is a lot lower than many other cities in either USA or Europe.
I think your wife will get the following line a lot: What a nice accent...where are you from? Charlotte's people is very friendly and kind. I think they like accents or at least they are intrigued and want to learn about it.
I live in the southern part of Charlotte and I noticing and increase of foreign accents. When I visited Charlotte the first time, I kind of felt that I was the only one with an accent, but latelly I see this community become a lot more international.
And in reference to finding a job I think that having a second lenguage represent a competitive advantage in areas such as international trade, education and others. I wish you both good luck in your relocation.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:18 AM

113 posts, read 363,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunroven55 View Post
I live in a neighborhood that is quite international, Belgium, Greece, France, Poland and England.
In which area do you live? That sounds cool.

One of the areas we're considering is Fort Mill. But I don't know if it is very "international" or not.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solnechko View Post
Here is a resource for you. I know a couple of French families and they have had no trouble getting along. good luck to you!

French Alliance of Charlotte, NC

Sorry about the incorrect title above; tried to edit. Obviously it's the French Alliance, not Association!

I looked at the website and it's a chapter of "L'Alliance Française". I was in this club in Phoenix when I was just learning French and it was a great way to meet other Francophones. Thanks for the suggestion.

Old 01-20-2008, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlottere View Post
I think your wife will get the following line a lot: What a nice accent...where are you from? Charlotte's people is very friendly and kind. I think they like accents or at least they are intrigued and want to learn about it.
I've been getting that line for almost 8 years now here in Paris. It's quite flattering. I actually started phonetic lessons with a French teacher here, trying to lose my accent but it was very hard and after all the compliments I decided to keep it.

Quote:
I live in the southern part of Charlotte and I noticing and increase of foreign accents. When I visited Charlotte the first time, I kind of felt that I was the only one with an accent, but latelly I see this community become a lot more international.
And in reference to finding a job I think that having a second lenguage represent a competitive advantage in areas such as international trade, education and others. I wish you both good luck in your relocation.
I think it's an advantage too. We're not sure how valuable French is in this area. In the north near Canada it seems more valuable. But in any case it can't hurt. And it's good to know that Charlotte is becoming more international.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:05 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,687,165 times
The Alliance Francaise is a good group. There are also two French conversation hours at the International House. These meet once a week and are attended by both native French speakers and those who want the opportunity to practice their French. Here you'll meet both US Americans and French francophiles. It's located at:

322 Hawthorne Ln
Charlotte, NC 28204
(704) 333-8099

French conversation is at:
Tuesdays 12:00- 1:00pm
Wednesdays 7:00 - 8:00 pm

Don't worry about the accent. Most people here find it attractive as long as they can understand the speaker.

Old 01-21-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
Don't worry about the accent. Most people here find it attractive as long as they can understand the speaker.
Usually when we're in the US and she orders her dinner, she'll get something else. People often don't understand but feel embarrassed to admit it. We laugh and joke about it.

Thanks for the information Barb, the French conversation hours sound like a good way to meet people in the area. We're not looking to meet only French, we want to meet people who are curious about foreign cultures and languages as we are. At the same time my wife would like to talk to some French people to see how they like living in the US and how they adjusted. So far I've received one contact from this post already.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,225 times
Hi I moved from Paris to Charlotte NC about 2 years ago. There are french companies in Charlotte your wife should look at the chamber of commerce website. I'd love to meet you guys if you do move here.

missing french friends.

Old 02-19-2008, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlass2008 View Post
Hi I moved from Paris to Charlotte NC about 2 years ago. There are french companies in Charlotte your wife should look at the chamber of commerce website. I'd love to meet you guys if you do move here.

missing french friends.
Hi, would you mind if my wife (French) sends you an email or a PM to ask you a bit about Charlotte?

Also, are you happy there? What do you think is better in Charlotte? What do you think is better in France?

Our primary concerns are childcare, we have two young ones (6 months & 2 years). In France the school system starts at 3 years old and it's free. In the US I think we must pay for daycare until 5 years old? Daycare for the two of them will cost around $1600-$2000/month. In this case we're not sure it'd make sense for my wife to work. And that's her main fear, if she doesn't work she won't make friends and will be "stuck at home".

The other concern is health insurance. I work as an independent IT consultant. So the ideal situation would be for my wife to get a job with benefits. I can't get private insurance because they refuse me based on a health condition.

These two issues are really blocking the move for us. I'd like to get your opinion on these issues if you have time.

Thanks,
Michael

PS: Are you French or Irish? How long did you live in Paris?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte