U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2008, 12:13 PM

11 posts, read 22,302 times

Advertisements

< I too joined just to respond to someone, it was an American living in France discussing moving back to the US. >

We are an American Family planning to move to North Carolina from Sete, France. Our son attended Lycee Rochambeau in Washington, DC and when we moved here almost eight years ago, he was truely bilingual. I wish I could say the same for us.

I had not considered Charlotte prior to reading this thread on Charlotte. I know for me it is extremely difficult to think that we will be leaving France. Our son has already gone back to the States so we are here alone with our two standard Poodles waiting to sell our house. Living in France has been sweet and sour. I will miss my French friends and all the beauty of France, but I will not miss the endless hours spent dealing with the paperwork and trying to understand the complexities of various laws. What has been the turning point is the dollar to Euro exchange. It would be quite paradoxical if the dollar went to parity with the Euro as we arrived back in the States.

I would appreciate it if those of you who are now living in Charlotte would
compare living in Pittsboro, for example, to living in Charlotte. Also is it possible near or around Charlotte to find a home with almost an acre of land under 400,000 $. Until reading this thread, I had no idea that there were so many French people interested in Charlotte.

One suggestion I have for health care is for one spouse to find a position with the federal government. If both of you are US citizens, then either of you would be able to look for a federal position. Once hired, the federal health insurance has no excemptions for preexisting medical problems. The insurance would cover your immediate family.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 02:26 PM

338 posts, read 833,521 times
Charlotte is a nice city if you want a comfortable, inexpensive lifestyle. However, why anyone would move from one of the three best cities in the world (i.e., Paris, London and NY) to Charlotte is beyond me. Having an enormous house for next to nothing must be very important to you.

Old 09-27-2008, 02:18 AM

113 posts, read 363,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Charlotte is a nice city if you want a comfortable, inexpensive lifestyle. However, why anyone would move from one of the three best cities in the world (i.e., Paris, London and NY) to Charlotte is beyond me. Having an enormous house for next to nothing must be very important to you.
I encourage you to read the entire thread, I have discussed several reasons one of which is the housing but there are many more.

Old 02-16-2009, 12:19 PM

1 posts, read 2,248 times
I am considering to move to north caroline also from Annapolis Maryland I was there doing the valentine weekend and loved what I saw so please tell me if charlette is a good city to live eva

Old 09-17-2009, 10:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times
i just want to let y'all know we have 2 french player in a team of the charlotte bobcats them names are Boris Diaw (27yrs) and Alexis Ajinca just turn 21years old both of them came last year in charlotte

Old 01-30-2010, 07:54 PM

46 posts, read 85,609 times
I am very happy and excited to read this thread which made me think that there are so many french influenced people in Charlotte. I have been in the search of a group in when I don't even know "Well" on and off.

I am french Citizen lived in France for couple of year did my studies in St. Quentine-Yveline and moved to Charlotte after getting married to a IT Consultant.

Would love be part of the group if you have one. I need to brush up my french know.

Ann

Thx

Old 03-04-2010, 03:13 PM

58 posts, read 142,189 times
There are a lot of French speakers here. We have an international school in fact. It is Smith Language Academy. My 12 yr old daughter goes there and is fluent in French but a native Charlottean. Your wife will be fine in Charlotte

Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 AM

156 posts, read 478,050 times
Chateau, I am american but my mother is french and all of my extended family is in France (in 78 and 92). As a child I lived for 3 years in the Yvelines as well, in Chevreuse. My father worked in St. Quentin for a while we were there. I have met some french people and french speakers since moving to the area (I live in Fort Mill). Feel free to send me a direct message!

Old 03-05-2010, 07:19 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,306,785 times
English family just moved here.

Having vsited France on numerous occasions,I think the biggest adjustment for you will be the lack of availability of what you would regard as good food that's not too expensive.
Things like the Prix fixe lunchtime and dinner menus, often at several different price levels.

I always loved eating out in France, apart from the fact that everying closes at 2pm and we used to forget sometimes if we were out and about.
Very relaxing leisurely experience, and they never brought the bill until you asked for it.

Old 03-05-2010, 07:24 AM

1,644 posts, read 4,306,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonlawyer View Post
Have you seen the house prices in Paris and London?
It maynot be about having a "huge" house, merely having a house,rather than a condo.

And how do you measure "best cities"-
I love all 3 cities, but no good living there if you can't afford the lfestyle you want eg a back yard/garden, short commute times and lack of crowding.
Where exactly do you live?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte