Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:26 AM

119 posts, read 390,691 times

Advertisements

Hey guys I'm glad to see interest in this thread is still continuing. I just got back from a vacation in the US. Someone mentioned waiters in france not bringing the bill until you ask for it, ain't that the truth! We always got our bill as soon as we declined desert, which was often proposed before we even finished our meals! At Cracker Barrel they must have a policy to give you the check as soon as you take your first bite.

We visited San Diego and my wife really liked it. I did too. She currently prefers Connecticut (maybe New Haven) & San Diego. So I think Charlotte has fallen down in the list. if anyone has experiences in New haven or San Diego please share.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM

3 posts, read 5,559 times
Default Francophones in Charlotte

Hello,

I am originally from Atlanta but have lived the last two years in Geneva in Switzerland and learned French. I just moved to Charlotte in September 2010.

It would be neat to meet up with some folks to continue speaking French. So far the only francophones i have found have been various cab drivers taking me home from the bar (which makes for fun French) or to the airport.

Best regards,

Arthur

Old 01-08-2011, 08:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,301 times
Hello,

My name is Nicolas and I just moved to Charlotte one week ago. I'm a french from Paris.

I'm in the same situation than Arthur, I would like continue to speak French and meet new friends in the same time.

Do you have some ideas?

Thanks

Old 05-14-2012, 09:31 AM

127 posts, read 309,143 times
Seems it has not been said, but I am new here and have discovered that there is a French wine bar called the Wine Cellar, located in Cornelius. A meetup group of French speakers native and not apparently convenes there often as well.

I plan to pay a weekend visit soon to check out the atmosphere for singles. (Just a traveler who speaks a bit of French and who seeks out good wine and multi-cultural connections wherever I roam.)

Last edited by 9times; 05-14-2012 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 05-14-2012, 09:59 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,286,593 times
The International House has a French conversation group on Wednesday evenings from 7-8. It is not only for french language learners - we also have native speakers who get together here to socialize. Afterwards we go out for food & drink. It's a lot of fun, so if you want to speak French and meet new people, come join us!

Old 05-30-2012, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 5,559 times
Nico,

Have you been able to meet some other francophones since you moved? I recently found one - the Sommelier at Frugal McDoogal's Beer Store in Fort Mill, SC is from Paris although has lived in the US for over 30 years.

Also - does anyone know where to purchase good fondue cheese mix, like one could find in a grocer in France or Switzerland? So far the best I have found is a prepackaged mix at Harris Teeter, but want to expand out.

Thanks,

Arthur

Old 05-30-2012, 01:31 PM

1,554 posts, read 3,362,574 times
I don't think I've ever seen a pre-packaged fondue mix at HT but I guess I've never looked. I make mine with a cup of good white wine, a tablespoon each of butter and all purpose flour and then equal parts (about 7 ounces) cubed Gruyere, sharp cheddar and Emmentaler. I've always been happy with HT's cheese selection but if you'd like to step it up a notch, try Dean and Deluca.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte