U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2008, 08:14 AM

113 posts, read 363,308 times

Advertisements

My wife (French) and I (American) are considering moving from Paris to Charlotte and I'm curious if there are any French people in this forum who live or have lived in Charlotte (or anywhere else actually). I'm all for the move but my wife is a bit worried about being able to find a job. She speaks fluent English but of course with a French accent.

We'd like to get some ideas on how other French families have adjusted to living in the US. So if you're French or have lived in France (or even in Europe) let me know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2008, 09:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,810,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis View Post
My wife (French) and I (American) are considering moving from Paris to Charlotte and I'm curious if there are any French people in this forum who live or have lived in Charlotte (or anywhere else actually). I'm all for the move but my wife is a bit worried about being able to find a job. She speaks fluent English but of course with a French accent.

We'd like to get some ideas on how other French families have adjusted to living in the US. So if you're French or have lived in France (or even in Europe) let me know.
I worked with some clients this past year who are basically a reverse of you two -- the husband is French and the wife is American. They had been living in France for 20 years, and then made the move. If you want, I can ask them if you can contact them directly, just let me know.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:08 AM

1,166 posts, read 3,685,753 times
I surely hope you decide to come. I'll be the first to welcome you and hope that you grow to like it here. It's a huge change from Paris, but life is much easier here in many ways.
I have lived in France and know a number of French people in Charlotte. You just missed a wonderful group of nuclear engineers who work for Cogema - they left last year for Aiken, South Carolina.

PM me if you want to contact me.

Old 01-17-2008, 11:44 AM

40 posts, read 195,382 times
We have a "french connection" too. My husband speaks english with an accent and we know there are 2 other couples in the neighborhood who are from France. we find each other... As Barbj mentioned, Charlotte is very different from Europe in general. It will take some getting used to, but people help you out. I think Charlotte is a great place to live. Plus you will enjoy some reverse sticker shock!

Old 01-17-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbJ View Post
I surely hope you decide to come. I'll be the first to welcome you and hope that you grow to like it here. It's a huge change from Paris, but life is much easier here in many ways.
I have lived in France and know a number of French people in Charlotte. You just missed a wonderful group of nuclear engineers who work for Cogema - they left last year for Aiken, South Carolina.

PM me if you want to contact me.
Hi Barb, that's the type of southern hospitality I'm hoping to find in Charlotte! here in France it's forbidden to look at someone, yet alone say "hello". It's cool that you've lived in France. I know Charlotte isn't the most international of cities, but those are too expensive for us so it's good to know there are some international people in Charlotte.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
I worked with some clients this past year who are basically a reverse of you two -- the husband is French and the wife is American. They had been living in France for 20 years, and then made the move. If you want, I can ask them if you can contact them directly, just let me know.
Hi, thanks for the offer, I sent you a PM.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhite View Post
We have a "french connection" too. My husband speaks english with an accent and we know there are 2 other couples in the neighborhood who are from France. we find each other... As Barbj mentioned, Charlotte is very different from Europe in general. It will take some getting used to, but people help you out. I think Charlotte is a great place to live. Plus you will enjoy some reverse sticker shock!
Snowhite that is very cool that you have 2 French couples in the neighborhood. That's a lot more than I would have guessed. In which area do you live?

The buying power in the US is amazing. A $350k house in Charlotte would be about.. 1.5 million dollars here and that's not in paris that's outside in the suburbs. That alone changes quite a bit.

Where is your husband from?

Old 01-17-2008, 02:29 PM

45,246 posts, read 94,401,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cunparis View Post

I feel pretty confident that we Charlotteans will be enthralled with your wife's lovely accent She may in fact be asked to "say something" again just so we can ou and ah over it!

Have no fears, this city is made up of lots of folks from other areas of the country and world - you'll have no problems fitting in. The French are a bit outnumbered by the Germans here, so come help the French community grow!

Old 01-17-2008, 02:46 PM

620 posts, read 1,997,008 times
My boss is French and has an accent. I am sure she will be fine.

Old 01-17-2008, 04:22 PM

444 posts, read 1,559,133 times
I live in a neighborhood that is quite international, Belgium, Greece, France, Poland and England.

The French neighbor has his own business and speaks with a wonderful accent. His wife is Polish and is a professor at one of the local college.

If you would be interested in talking to my neighbor I will be happy to have him contact you if you will pm me.

You will really be happy in Charlotte and as the prevous person said your "accent" will be well accepted. Charlotte is full of very nice and friendly people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte