Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 10:27 AM

16 posts, read 75,559 times

Advertisements

Just moved here with the idea of starting a business, buy into a business, or starting or buying into a franchise. Any luck? We would also be interested in partnering up with someone and working together if it makes sense. This is a great city and I see opportunity all over the place. We would prefer to be in the Southern part of Charlotte or South of Uptown as this is where we would be living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 PM

536 posts, read 1,694,342 times
Default question

Where are you from?

Do you have any ideas for a business?

They finally are getting a Dunkin Donuts near! Seems Coffee is very big down here I know of two people starting Coffee/Ice Cream shops!

Old 06-25-2007, 06:27 PM

876 posts, read 3,794,939 times
I have actually been contemplating this lately, but I was looking more towards the LKN area... bummer

Old 06-25-2007, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 21,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamherenowwhat View Post
Just moved here with the idea of starting a business, buy into a business, or starting or buying into a franchise. Any luck? We would also be interested in partnering up with someone and working together if it makes sense. This is a great city and I see opportunity all over the place. We would prefer to be in the Southern part of Charlotte or South of Uptown as this is where we would be living.
Hi there...i am very interested in talking to you; i too plan on starting a business in Charlotte and i am looking for some like minded person. Perhaps we should chat further on this subject, holla at me.

Old 06-26-2007, 08:28 PM

61 posts, read 240,085 times
My thoughts are focused on a Starbucks franchise, Health Food Grocer/Market/Bistro (a mini Whole Foods/Joe Traders/Wegmans), or a Sur Latable/William Sonoma in the building where I will be living. There are retail spaces available soon once Quarterside (First Ward) has been built. That area demands retail desperately and should not be a problem attracting customers in the surrounding area or the three loft residences in the same block!
What type of business do you have in mind?

Old 06-27-2007, 04:55 AM

Starbucks and Williams Sononma are company owned stores. They do not franchise

Old 06-27-2007, 06:57 AM

876 posts, read 3,794,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamherenowwhat View Post
Starbucks and Williams Sononma are company owned stores. They do not franchise
yup..that is correctomundo!

Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,435,981 times
Actually, Starbucks will not franchiose too individuals. We have Starbucks mini-units at some of our locations that is bascially us DBA Starbucks, essentailly a franchise, due to consumer demand.

I would look into 5 Guys, but you must purchase 5, or O'Naturals.

Old 06-27-2007, 07:03 AM

523 posts, read 2,906,984 times
I am also interested in starting a business and looking for partners. What is everyone's skill set, background, experience (finance, marketing, operations, etc.)? Do you have substantial savings/financial backing to start the venture? What time frame are you looking at to start the venture? Are you only interested in franchises or coming up with something new?

Old 06-27-2007, 07:22 AM

Good question. I have looked into franchises and depending on the business concept, I will not have an issue. A lot of the best or prime shopping centers or strip centers like having "national" concepts as tenants. Some of these franchises will want you to agree to multiple units within a specific time. Considering how many transplants are moving to SOuth Charlotte, A Dunkin Donuts could potentially do extremely well. The thing about DD is that once again, they want you to open multiple stores. The financial requirements are very high since each store depending in size can be up to 1 million dollars just for ONE store. BUT once you have the second , third, fourth, etc store, that is when you start to see the big $$$$. But a busy store like that WILL REQUIRE multiple partners because of the time required to grow it and work it as well as the $$$ for the multiple stores. It does not have to be a DD or a food related concept, but I am looking for something. I think the potential is there, especially in such a growing area. I am willing and able t( $$) o do it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte