U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2006, 10:16 AM

77 posts, read 384,302 times

Advertisements

Hi,
It seems most builders are using either a slab foundation or a crawl space for the new houses in the Charlotte area...more specifically in the Fort Mill, Tega Cay area. Doesn't anyone build new homes with basements? And what are the pros and cons of slab and crawl space. Thanks!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2006, 11:16 AM

1,242 posts, read 3,814,130 times
we are from the NE and we wanted a basement so bad but they don't do them. Comign fromt he NE I really am going to miss it but they have bonu rooms instead still nothing like a finished basement! We looekd at the crawl space option but for the extra money we will just use the garage for storage.

Old 11-09-2006, 11:31 AM

2,536 posts, read 8,755,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensruul View Post
Hi,
It seems most builders are using either a slab foundation or a crawl space for the new houses in the Charlotte area...more specifically in the Fort Mill, Tega Cay area. Doesn't anyone build new homes with basements? And what are the pros and cons of slab and crawl space. Thanks!!
this question (with everyone seeming to have a different answer) has actually come up before in another thread.

So, with that said I will only speak of the area that I live in which is Tega Cay, SC. There are many basements in Tega Cay. We have what is called a rugged topography which seems to lend itself well to walkout basements.

tegacaysc.org

Old 11-09-2006, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 51,974 times
Homes with basements are being now built more and more since newcomers from NY and Florida are used to them and request them. But there aren't many. You can find them in resale homes more often.

Crawlspace
Pro: - easy access to wireing, and plumbing
- storage
- you can built a home on a slopey landscape
- Easy to install hardwood floors

Cons:
- Mold if not ventilated correctly
- Floor might not be recommended to support heavy funiture (lets say very big Aquarium)

Slab

Pros:
- you can put heavy funiture on the slab floor
- don't have to worry about mold

Cons:
- slab can crack
- busted plumbing pipes are harder to repair
- framing sills can rott if builder didn't but a barrier correctly between the slab and the sill

Hope that helped. Let me know.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:20 PM

124 posts, read 495,681 times
like LTC said. New builders only seem to build basements where the yard slopes to enable a walkout or at least DayLight basement. There aren't many builders putting basements in where the topography is flat. That is what I've found anyway looking at new communities. So in essence if you want a basement in a new community either find a community with some rolling terrain or go to a community that you can buy your lot and bring your own builder.

Old 11-09-2006, 04:56 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,778,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravensruul View Post
Hi,
No, 'cause it's more expense. Has to do with the "frost line" or how far down the ground freezes during the winter. Here it's not even a foot (my experience), whereas up North, it's like 6 feet (per my brother-in-law). My passive solar house is built on slab and other than cool floors in the "winter", I would do the same again. Heat pump? - - never again. good luck.

Old 11-09-2006, 07:25 PM

2,314 posts, read 2,428,973 times
Slabs are also cheaper and quicker for the builder/developer.

Old 11-09-2006, 09:22 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,834,488 times
Some builders are offering basements -- but you will pay for it for sure. Whereas a basement can add 20K++ to the price of a house, a third floor walkup option is less expensive and often serves a similar purpose, so builders are offering that as well. Best of luck in your search and please let me know if I can help you in any way

Old 11-10-2006, 12:32 AM

259 posts, read 1,133,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by white.picket.charlotte View Post
Homes with basements are being now built more and more since newcomers from NY and Florida are used to them and request them. But there aren't many. You can find them in resale homes more often.
Whoa, I never heard of a basement in FL. The water table is too high, with it being barely above sea level (50-70 ft) for a traditional basement foundation. The closest I ever saw to a basement in FL in my 23 years there were some old churches built 3 stories with the bottom story halfway underground.

Quote:
Slabs are also cheaper and quicker for the builder/developer.
Are they really? It seems the majority of new homes in the Charlotte area are crawl space, regardless of pricing. I've seen 110K homes with slab and without, and 500K homes with slab and without- but always the majority being crawl space. Maybe the terrain dictates the best choice....... slabs for flat lots, but crawl spaces for uneven lots.
I'm sure glad my (older) house is crawl space because if it werent my sloping yard would probably shed water onto my house. The way neighborhoods lots slope here I would be nervous NOT having my house a couple feet off the ground. Plus if your a person who likes your porch then.... crawl space is the way to go.

Old 11-10-2006, 06:41 AM

5,044 posts, read 5,055,650 times
We were quoted over $50,000 to put in a basement on our new house.
Needless to say, we went with a crawl space.
Dorothy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte