Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2008, 04:20 PM

1 posts, read 2,623 times

Advertisements

We live in Salt Lake City, Utah. What are the options for senior Jewish life in Charlotte? Is it as cold and frosty as Salt Lake City? What is a rental home consisting of two bedrooms and 2 baths in a descent neighborhood?
What is required for subsitute teaching and the salary?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM

429 posts, read 730,423 times
To answer your first question, I would suggest that you check out the website Jewish Community Center of Charlotte, NC or contac Linda Bass, 704-944-6735 @ the Jewish Community Center in Charlotte. She is over the Oasis Senior Enrichment program. The program has classes, day trips, clubs, weekly coffee dates and a lunch program for area seniors. It is open to people of all faiths, not just Jewish. I am not Jewish, but I have attended continuing education classes there as well as, a couple of fashion shows at the JCC. It's a nice, fun, enjoyable place. There seems to be all types of activities scheduled there all of the time, for every age group. I have a friend who joined the JCC just to have a place close to her home to work out and take her young children to swim.
About the rental housing, without knowing any specifics other than 2 bdr./2bath I would say that rental close to the JCC would range between $800- and up, you could go above $2000 in the Myers Park, South Park or Cotwald area for a rental. It just depends upon what you like.
As for the substitute teaching positions, I am not familiar with what the private schools require, but you could go to the website for Charlotte Mecklenburg Public Schools and submit an inquiry about the pay and requirements. The CMS website is www. cms.k12.nc.us. PM me if you need any further assistance.
Lastly, we truly experience all four seasons in Charlotte. Winter can be cold and gray and we did get a "little" snow this weekend, but nothing that requires snow tires! and unfortunately, we don't get snow every winter. The mountains are less than 2 hrs. away from us so if you're interested in skiing, tubing or sledding, it's not too far away.
Spring and Fall are beautiful! and the weather is comfortable. You may need a light weight jacket in the early mornings and in the evening, but during the day the avg. is in the 70's. Now summer, can get hot. We had several days last summer where the heat index was over 100! But, Charlotte has plenty of places to stay cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte