Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 06:53 AM

370 posts, read 539,219 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Charlotte just lost the Lidl hq to Virginia over incentives.
This was a real kick in the face to NC. All indication was that Lidl WANTED to come to Charlotte and was actively pursuing an HQ in uptown. As you can see from the reports, the incentives package (by comparison to some others we have seen) was rather pedestrian. Additionally the investments that Lidl intends to make are far more significant. It takes a real special group to effectively push away a North American HQ; but hey, we voted them in!

$7 million in incentives for 700 jobs and $202 million in investment sounds like a great deal to me. Too bad Phil Berger/Bob Ruccho and the Funky Bunch (aka the NC General Assembly) are more focused on gay marriage and limiting the power of it's primary economic engines (Wake, Mecklenburg and Durham). What a joke.

McAuliffe bags German grocer Lidl, bringing hundreds of jobs to Virginia - The Washington Post

As long as we keep voting in these gaggles of morons, you can continue to expect to see political posturing and zero results. But hey, at least our teachers are about to make a whopping $35k a year and become competitive with Arkansas and Alabama...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2015, 06:57 AM

37,792 posts, read 41,472,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayton white guy View Post
I honestly think that any state has at least a shot. Why not put your best foot forward Charlotte?
Charlotte can put its best foot forward, but if the state of NC isn't doing so, then it's pretty much a lost cause.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:21 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
This was a real kick in the face to NC. All indication was that Lidl WANTED to come to Charlotte and was actively pursuing an HQ in uptown. As you can see from the reports, the incentives package (by comparison to some others we have seen) was rather pedestrian. Additionally the investments that Lidl intends to make are far more significant. It takes a real special group to effectively push away a North American HQ; but hey, we voted them in!

$7 million in incentives for 700 jobs and $202 million in investment sounds like a great deal to me. Too bad Phil Berger/Bob Ruccho and the Funky Bunch (aka the NC General Assembly) are more focused on gay marriage and limiting the power of it's primary economic engines (Wake, Mecklenburg and Durham). What a joke.

McAuliffe bags German grocer Lidl, bringing hundreds of jobs to Virginia - The Washington Post

As long as we keep voting in these gaggles of morons, you can continue to expect to see political posturing and zero results. But hey, at least our teachers are about to make a whopping $35k a year and become competitive with Arkansas and Alabama...
Honestly, this couldn't be more stupid. They blew off a startup for a US headquarters.

I've been in a Lidl. Lidl & Aldi compete in Germany. I wonder if Art Pope told them to blow off Lidl. He probably wouldn't want a second good German discount grocer competing with his rat traps.

Of course Lidl wanted to come here. Look at all of the German companies in the area.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:52 AM

370 posts, read 539,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Honestly, this couldn't be more stupid. They blew off a startup for a US headquarters.

I've been in a Lidl. Lidl & Aldi compete in Germany. I wonder if Art Pope told them to blow off Lidl. He probably wouldn't want a second good German discount grocer competing with his rat traps.

Of course Lidl wanted to come here. Look at all of the German companies in the area.
Agreed. Aldi is kinda scoffed at here a bit, but the Aldi's in Germany are wonderful. I've have similar experiences with Lidl in Scotland.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:36 AM

23,809 posts, read 34,427,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosHogan View Post
Agreed. Aldi is kinda scoffed at here a bit, but the Aldi's in Germany are wonderful. I've have similar experiences with Lidl in Scotland.
I was on a trip to Bitburg. I enjoy going into foreign grocery stores & supermarkets. I went into Aldi then Lidl, which were across a little alleyway from each other.

I love Aldi. I've noticed that the longer they're in an area the less people scoff at them. Lidl would build on people's knowledge of Aldi.

I think that when Lidl is blown off it's just another item on the list to prove that Raleigh won't go after GE.

Last edited by southbound_295; 06-17-2015 at 09:45 AM..

Old 12-13-2015, 06:00 PM

50 posts, read 53,905 times
BLOGS › GREG DAVID ON NEW YORK

November 1, 2015

GREG DAVID ON NY

GE eyes NY, but guv-mayor feud stands in way
The decision between Westchester or Manhattan could hinge on whether the two politicians can work together.
Greg David By Greg David
1 Comment Comments Email
7 11 0
After Connecticut decided to raise taxes on large multinational companies, General Electric announced this year that it would explore moving its headquarters from Fairfield County. Gov. Andrew Cuomo rushed to GE’s offices to interest it in relocating to Westchester County, with the implicit promise of big tax breaks.

It turns out that the northern suburbs are not what GE wants. Politico New York reported last week that GE is interested in moving to the city—almost certainly to Manhattan. Suburban office parks are out; urban centers are in, which is the major reason New Jersey’s economy is doing so poorly.

What would be shocking is whether the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio team up to lure GE back to the place it abandoned in 1975. The difficulties begin with the endless feud between the governor and the mayor. I doubt Cuomo will want to share the credit with his rival, which would be necessary if GE moves to Manhattan.

Politically, the governor also needs some sort of economic boost for the northern suburbs, where job growth has been anemic for years and where the Westchester office vacancy rate is 15%, compared with 9% in Manhattan. Cuomo will pay a political price soon for focusing on upstate and spending so much money there (at least $2 billion, including $750 million to a single solar-panel plant) while the suburbs stagnate.

Then there is de Blasio’s problem with incentives, which will be required for GE because the company will be offered sizable tax breaks to stay in Connecticut or go to Westchester or Atlanta, where it has looked at its options.

But consider the JPMorgan Chase fiasco. When the bank sought $1 billion in concessions to move its operations to two new office towers at Hudson Yards, it was vilified, including by Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen. (It was always unclear if Chase wanted $1 billion in total or $1 billion in addition to the $600 million it was entitled.)

It isn’t clear how many of the 800 Fairfield jobs GE would move, although it might also want to bring along some of its tech businesses from other locations, given the growth of that sector in New York. Many will argue that winning the GE relocation battle isn’t worth the cost and will set a bad precedent. The coming months should tell us how much GE is worth to the mayor and the governor.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:32 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,327,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
BLOGS › GREG DAVID ON NEW YORK

November 1, 2015

GREG DAVID ON NY

GE eyes NY, but guv-mayor feud stands in way
The decision between Westchester or Manhattan could hinge on whether the two politicians can work together.
Greg David By Greg David
1 Comment Comments Email
7 11 0
After Connecticut decided to raise taxes on large multinational companies, General Electric announced this year that it would explore moving its headquarters from Fairfield County. Gov. Andrew Cuomo rushed to GE’s offices to interest it in relocating to Westchester County, with the implicit promise of big tax breaks.

It turns out that the northern suburbs are not what GE wants. Politico New York reported last week that GE is interested in moving to the city—almost certainly to Manhattan. Suburban office parks are out; urban centers are in, which is the major reason New Jersey’s economy is doing so poorly.

What would be shocking is whether the governor and Mayor Bill de Blasio team up to lure GE back to the place it abandoned in 1975. The difficulties begin with the endless feud between the governor and the mayor. I doubt Cuomo will want to share the credit with his rival, which would be necessary if GE moves to Manhattan.

Politically, the governor also needs some sort of economic boost for the northern suburbs, where job growth has been anemic for years and where the Westchester office vacancy rate is 15%, compared with 9% in Manhattan. Cuomo will pay a political price soon for focusing on upstate and spending so much money there (at least $2 billion, including $750 million to a single solar-panel plant) while the suburbs stagnate.

Then there is de Blasio’s problem with incentives, which will be required for GE because the company will be offered sizable tax breaks to stay in Connecticut or go to Westchester or Atlanta, where it has looked at its options.

But consider the JPMorgan Chase fiasco. When the bank sought $1 billion in concessions to move its operations to two new office towers at Hudson Yards, it was vilified, including by Deputy Mayor Alicia Glen. (It was always unclear if Chase wanted $1 billion in total or $1 billion in addition to the $600 million it was entitled.)

It isn’t clear how many of the 800 Fairfield jobs GE would move, although it might also want to bring along some of its tech businesses from other locations, given the growth of that sector in New York. Many will argue that winning the GE relocation battle isn’t worth the cost and will set a bad precedent. The coming months should tell us how much GE is worth to the mayor and the governor.
Sad state of affairs when the Governor and Mayor of the state's largest city can't even work together to lure the headquarters of a major corporation.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:39 PM

50 posts, read 53,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Sad state of affairs when the Governor and Mayor of the state's largest city can't even work together to lure the headquarters of a major corporation.
Stuff like that is important for an upstart, backwater like Charlotte. New York Is The Financial Capital of the World and dominates F500 in areas well-beyond finance. Thus, it doesn't need some cheesy-McCrory pitch.

Old 12-13-2015, 06:59 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,327,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonMattingly View Post
Stuff like that is important for an upstart, backwater like Charlotte. New York Is The Financial Capital of the World and dominates F500 in areas well-beyond finance. Thus, it doesn't need some cheesy-McCrory pitch.
LOL, struck a nerve, did I? If GE's hq isn't important to the great NYC, then why are the politicians attempting to recruit it? And why is "Greg David" blogging about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte