Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2016, 08:16 AM

23,814 posts, read 34,670,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I'm not aware of any plans for Kroger Marketplace stores in NC at the moment. However, I am optimistic that a Kroger or Harris Teeter Marketplace will come in due time since NC will be surrounded by states after South Carolina's Marketplace stores open. I believe Harris Teeter will adapt with more large format stores if Wegman's comes to town.

That is also true. I wonder how Ahold will treat Food Lion. Will much needed amenities, and pricing adjustments be added to Food Lion stores, or will it remain the same? I do not believe that Food Lion will continue its path unscathed when there is new competition offering lower prices, increased selection and service departments. If Ahold can successfully find and integrate the aforementioned qualities into their Food Lion banner, then I believe that Food Lion will somewhat competitive with its contemporaries.
Pre-Kroger, Harris Teeter pulled out of markets where Ingles opened their supercenter stores or where the supercenter stores were drawing from. Their public announcement was that they decided to withdraw from rural areas. They withdrew from Gastonia, which is hardly rural & left stores open in Lincoln County. The ignorance of that announcement earned them the ire of Gastonia residents & is the reason that the Publix store will not be low volume when it opens in July & Harris Teeter will be low volume when it opens in September. When Ingles opened their supercenter near Lincolnton, the Lincolnton Teeter closed, after Kroger had acquired Harris Teeter.

Unless there is a shakeup in management, Harris Teeter has proven to be unable to deal with big stores. The Ingles chain also has a history of mowing down Food Lions. Ahold has a real project if they think that they will fix Food Lion. They will have to deal with stores, one lease expiration at a time, to get large enough facilities to have in-house bakeries, much less pharmacies. Lack of those plus abysmal excuses for delis allows Ingles to run roughshod over Food Lion, which has overall higher prices than Ingles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2016, 08:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,232,811 times
Default Food Lion #2206, 1088 Brawley School Road, Mooresville, North Carolina 28117-8994

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
Well, Food Lion is pretty much killing their one store I do like to shop at. They are updating the former Bloom location on Brawley School Road in Mooresville, I guess as part of their Charlotte area upgrades. They are still working there, but so far I am not thrilled with what they did.

The most annoying thing is they took out the open area back in the corner by the beer and they installed another full length aisle on that side of the store. If you walk up those aisles, they are very skinny (two carts can barely squeeze past each other) and they seem like you're walking through a cavern, shaded from the lights.

I hope this is just a temporary situation and they plan to fix it. I drive out of my way to shop at this store as it was a much better location than the other FL's in town.
Is Food Lion #2206 adding any service departments like a pharmacy, replacing fixtures and equipment, etc.?

Publix #1519 at Brawley Commons should open later this year.

Old 04-17-2016, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
Pre-Kroger, Harris Teeter pulled out of markets where Ingles opened their supercenter stores or where the supercenter stores were drawing from. Their public announcement was that they decided to withdraw from rural areas. They withdrew from Gastonia, which is hardly rural & left stores open in Lincoln County. The ignorance of that announcement earned them the ire of Gastonia residents & is the reason that the Publix store will not be low volume when it opens in July & Harris Teeter will be low volume when it opens in September. When Ingles opened their supercenter near Lincolnton, the Lincolnton Teeter closed, after Kroger had acquired Harris Teeter.

Unless there is a shakeup in management, Harris Teeter has proven to be unable to deal with big stores. The Ingles chain also has a history of mowing down Food Lions. Ahold has a real project if they think that they will fix Food Lion. They will have to deal with stores, one lease expiration at a time, to get large enough facilities to have in-house bakeries, much less pharmacies. Lack of those plus abysmal excuses for delis allows Ingles to run roughshod over Food Lion, which has overall higher prices than Ingles.
Kroger's acquisition of Harris Teeter was finalized in early 2014. Harris Teeter #248, 2138 East Main Street, Lincolnton, North Carolina 28092-4148, closed within two weeks before Ingle's #148, 2130 East Main Street, Lincolnton, North Carolina 28092-3921, opened.

Harris Teeter is opening 78,000-square-foot stores across North Carolina. This could be one of several changes implemented by Kroger.

Quote:
Ahold has a real project if they think that they will fix Food Lion. They will have to deal with stores, one lease expiration at a time, to get large enough facilities to have in-house bakeries, much less pharmacies. Lack of those plus abysmal excuses for delis allows Ingles to run roughshod over Food Lion, which has overall higher prices than Ingles.
Food Lion's shortcomings have allowed its competitors to succeed. Ahold Delhaize has work to do with it if Food Lion will be around as competitors open additional stores or enter into new markets.

Old 04-17-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Kroger's acquisition of Harris Teeter was finalized in early 2014. Harris Teeter #248, 2138 East Main Street, Lincolnton, North Carolina 28092-4148, closed within two weeks before Ingle's #148, 2130 East Main Street, Lincolnton, North Carolina 28092-3921, opened.

Harris Teeter is opening 78,000-square-foot stores across North Carolina. This could be one of several changes implemented by Kroger.

Food Lion's shortcomings have allowed its competitors to succeed. Ahold Delhaize has work to do with it if Food Lion will be around as competitors open additional stores or enter into new markets.
When the Gaston Mall was being rebuilt in Gastonia they offered a slot to Ingles. Bob Ingle was agreeable. Harris Teeter pitched a hissy fit, so the offer to Ingles was withdrawn. Then Harris Teeter pulled out & Lowes Foods took their slot. Then they closed the store. Dicks is in the slot that was offered to Bob Ingle.

I can't help but wonder how many Food Lions an Ingles at the Gaston Mall would have closed.

Old 04-17-2016, 10:33 AM

Quote:
When the Gaston Mall was being rebuilt in Gastonia they offered a slot to Ingles. Bob Ingle was agreeable. Harris Teeter pitched a hissy fit, so the offer to Ingles was withdrawn. Then Harris Teeter pulled out & Lowes Foods took their slot. Then they closed the store. Dicks is in the slot that was offered to Bob Ingle.
I noticed similarities between Kroger, Harris Teeter, and Ingle's. Most of their new stores, or average store size, are between 50,000 and 70,000 square feet. Each banner focuses, or will focus, on food, pharmacy, and fuel. Many of their stores operate Starbucks kiosks.

What could happen if Ingle's was acquired by and became a subsidiary of Kroger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295
I can't help but wonder how many Food Lions an Ingles at the Gaston Mall would have closed.
There are not any supermarkets directly surrounding Gaston Mall.

Old 04-17-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I noticed similarities between Kroger, Harris Teeter, and Ingle's. Most of their new stores, or average store size, are between 50,000 and 70,000 square feet. Each banner focuses, or will focus, on food, pharmacy, and fuel. Many of their stores operate Starbucks kiosks.

What could happen if Ingle's was acquired by and became a subsidiary of Kroger?

There are not any supermarkets directly surrounding Gaston Mall.
The nearest thing to groceries near Gaston Mall now is the grocery department in the Target.

If Kroger acquired Ingles there would be overlapping & the Teeter people would just have to learn to deal with it, instead of running away. It's an interesting thought. It would be a very easy way for Kroger to go into a big area that they have little to no presence in. Whether the Ingle family would sell would be the big question.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:31 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,513,951 times
Quote:

I remember Kroger being around many moons ago. We shopped the one on Tyvola Rd. I can not remember why they left, do you?

Old 04-17-2016, 01:33 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:

Harris Teeter pulled out of Gaston County as part of a deal to acquire Lowe's Food locations in Mecklenburg County, as a defensive move prior to the arrival of Publix in the Charlotte market. Their Gaston Mall store may not have been one of their nicer stores or one of their stronger performers, and Gastonia consumers were probably choosing Walmart and even Food Lion in the post recession economy due to perceived lower prices. They probably were eventually considering replacing the Gastonia store with a nicer Harris Teeter at a later date when the economy improved, and when a better location could be found. The big PR blunder was to say they were leaving rural markets, when this was not entirely true in the Gastonia situation. They should have just stated they were closing underperforming stores and would reevaluate the market for a possible future location that would allow a nice store with their more upscale standards. Most of the HT stores that were closed were 2nd tier locations such as Lincolnton, and they are now concentrating primarily on the more upscale designs.

But apparently the Gaston Mall location was no longer a desireable site for a supermarket, as Lowe's Foods failed and eventually closed there also at the former HT location. So as a business decision, HT made the right move, but just handled it badly from a PR standpoint.

As for supercenters, as mentioned, HT is now expanding with the larger 78,000 square foot stores in Pinehurst and Fayetteville. I would speculate they also have plans for these larger stores eventually in the Charlotte market as well. Particularly with Ingle's on the western fringes and the possibility of Wegman's expanding after Raleigh. With the Kroger backing, HT is now adjusting to better compete with supercenters such as Ingle's and even Walmart. Kroger Marketplace stores will soon open in SC.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:41 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,476,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
I remember Kroger being around many moons ago. We shopped the one on Tyvola Rd. I can not remember why they left, do you?
There's a site ran by someone who lives in the Triad called Groceteria. He should have some information on this subject in his Charlotte History.

Old 04-17-2016, 01:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 7,351,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chromekitty View Post
The Kroger Sav-On stores in Charlotte were nice large stores but were eventually sold to Bi-Lo. I do not recall the exact business decision why Kroger chose to exit the Charlotte market at that time, which I believe was back in the late 80's. They remained in NC with Kroger stores in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte