Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 06:56 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times

Advertisements

The Bi-Lo Bonuscard worked at Bi-Lo's defunct Food$mart stores. I wonder if Ingle's Advantage cards work at its Sav-Mor stores.

It remains to be seen if Harvey's may catch on in Charlotte and Mecklenburg County. Bi-Lo has ran its course. I still do not see Bi-Lo and Harvey's being around in the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 06:38 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
...Whereas other Bi-Lo and Winn-Dixie stores have just gone out of business and pulled out of several markets. Perhaps Charlotte may be next,...
If that happened, it would be BiLo's second pull out in Charlotte. The first happened way back in the early 1980s if I remember correctly. They only returned when, ironically, they purchased Kroger's assets when they pulled out of Charlotte in the late 1980s.

I think, in general, Charlotte is important to many retailers, some who have yet to come here, because it is a market that is growing fast by population, and they all have to eat.

Old 07-25-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
If that happened, it would be BiLo's second pull out in Charlotte. The first happened way back in the early 1980s if I remember correctly. They only returned when, ironically, they purchased Kroger's assets when they pulled out of Charlotte in the late 1980s.
Bi-Lo's exit from Charlotte is gradually occurring. It would not be throwing money at stores in the process of closing and closing and divesting stores if it was not exiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty
I think, in general, Charlotte is important to many retailers, some who have yet to come here, because it is a market that is growing fast by population, and they all have to eat.
I think there is a shift in supermarkets participating in Charlotte-Mecklenburg County. Stronger and better operating participants will succeed. Inferior and poorly performing participants may join Kroger, Lowe's Foods, and Winn-Dixie as former participants.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:33 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
I went to Food Lion earlier today (first time since they completed their merger with Ahold) and I already spotted a change.

The Food Lion where I am in Durham either changed most of the light fixtures, or simply put covers over them. (The store originally had exposed Fluorescent tubes lined across the ceiling)

Additionally, the alcoves had their lights (2x4 lay-in fixtures) changed as well, and now the new bulbs seem a bit "bluer" than before.

I don't know if I like these lighting changes completely, The store seemed darker, but it kinda felt like I was in a different store.

I wonder if anyone else's Food Lion had their lights changed.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:10 PM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I went to Food Lion earlier today (first time since they completed their merger with Ahold) and I already spotted a change.

The Food Lion where I am in Durham either changed most of the light fixtures, or simply put covers over them. (The store originally had exposed Fluorescent tubes lined across the ceiling)

Additionally, the alcoves had their lights (2x4 lay-in fixtures) changed as well, and now the new bulbs seem a bit "bluer" than before.

I don't know if I like these lighting changes completely, The store seemed darker, but it kinda felt like I was in a different store.

I wonder if anyone else's Food Lion had their lights changed.
I usually avoid Food Lion, like the plague. They just finished converting one of the Food Lions in my town. All of the windows are tinted black. It's not very inviting.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound_295 View Post
I usually avoid Food Lion, like the plague. They just finished converting one of the Food Lions in my town. All of the windows are tinted black. It's not very inviting.
Did that Food Lion add a pharmacy, lower its prices, improve its offering of fresh foods and quality products, and increase staffing in its service departments?

Old 08-02-2016, 12:40 AM

23,813 posts, read 34,657,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Did that Food Lion add a pharmacy, lower its prices, improve its offering of fresh foods and quality products, and increase staffing in its service departments?
Beats me. I haven't been in it since I took an elderly neighbor about 4 years ago. I had offered to take him to Ingles, but he wanted to go there. At least they had increased the lighting & had cleaned up the store at that point. I'm guessing that it's not a big hit. That store shares the former Harris Teeter with a Dollar Tree. It's the busier of the 2 Food Lions in town &, based on cars in the lot, business must be down by at least 50%.

Old 08-02-2016, 03:53 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,475,743 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Food Lion isn't bad IMO, but it isn't my first choice when going to the grocery store. As far as improvements, the Food Lion I was in remodeled last year and did NOT expand selection or include a Pharmacy. Staffing seems the same most of the time I go in.

I'm not a fan of the muddy color that they painted their walls with. It makes the store look kind of dated.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Beats me. I haven't been in it since I took an elderly neighbor about 4 years ago. I had offered to take him to Ingles, but he wanted to go there. At least they had increased the lighting & had cleaned up the store at that point. I'm guessing that it's not a big hit. That store shares the former Harris Teeter with a Dollar Tree. It's the busier of the 2 Food Lions in town &, based on cars in the lot, business must be down by at least 50%.
If he wanted to pay more for less at Food Lion, more power to him.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
Food Lion isn't bad IMO, but it isn't my first choice when going to the grocery store. As far as improvements, the Food Lion I was in remodeled last year and did NOT expand selection or include a Pharmacy. Staffing seems the same most of the time I go in.

I'm not a fan of the muddy color that they painted their walls with. It makes the store look kind of dated.
If Food Lion did minimum improvements such as a new coat of paint, replacing fixtures and equipment, and changing signage, it is nothing more than a minor update. If the store may be closing in the future, it would not make sense to invest in a complete update. A complete update would be necessary if it wanted to compete against Harris Teeter, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and/or Walmart Supercenter long term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte