Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 11:33 AM

245 posts, read 881,300 times

Advertisements

Charlotte.com : Charlotte's influx of poor adds strain (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/460265.html - broken link)

Last edited by mrsjdaniels; 01-24-2008 at 11:34 AM.. Reason: spelling errors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 12:09 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjdaniels View Post
Charlotte.com : Charlotte's influx of poor adds strain (http://www.charlotte.com/109/story/460265.html - broken link)
Everyone should read this story! There is a lot of misery out there . . . I am not sure what can be done to address it. I believe in donating to the Salvation Army and hope others will consider this, too. But the bottom line is . . . jobs.

If you read posts on the Western NC thread, you will find a lot of lively discussion about Asheville's policies in dealing w/ the homeless in regard to social policy.

It is a genuine dilemma . . . and I am not sure anyone has found a really workable answer . . .

Old 01-24-2008, 01:21 PM

672 posts, read 1,831,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Everyone should read this story! There is a lot of misery out there . . . I am not sure what can be done to address it. I believe in donating to the Salvation Army and hope others will consider this, too. But the bottom line is . . . jobs.

If you read posts on the Western NC thread, you will find a lot of lively discussion about Asheville's policies in dealing w/ the homeless in regard to social policy.

It is a genuine dilemma . . . and I am not sure anyone has found a really workable answer . . .
Yes very sad indeed. Though I have to say people seem to think that jobs grow on trees and it should not be an assumption that one will find work no problem around here. I would never move anywhere that we didn't already have a job simply b/c it's much harder then people think around here to land one.

Old 01-24-2008, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
Yes very sad indeed. Though I have to say people seem to think that jobs grow on trees and it should not be an assumption that one will find work no problem around here. I would never move anywhere that we didn't already have a job simply b/c it's much harder then people think around here to land one.

Yep, I agree...i think that is why I see a lot of posters ignore the "help me, I want to move - what neighborhood/what job"

You don't want to burst their bubble but you have to say...hey do some research to see if this is really for you...

I say we send ppl to ****.com before they ask about neighborhoods :-)

Old 01-24-2008, 02:12 PM

745 posts, read 2,209,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkjaws View Post
I have to say that this really speaks volumes when, for anybody who's ever lived in a rural area, is told that all the good jobs are in the city. It seems there are a lot of people I know that have moved to the bigger city just out of hopes of finding a better job when in reality, most of these people don't realize what you mentioned. Also, the cost of living is so much more in Charlotte than in other rural parts of the state. It just leads to a bad situation in which many people can come here with great expectations but don't necessarily make it to the point where they can even get on their feet. There's nothing wrong with taking to time to plan things out and applying for jobs, willing to move after you're hired.

Old 01-24-2008, 02:41 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,491,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
I have to say that this really speaks volumes when, for anybody who's ever lived in a rural area, is told that all the good jobs are in the city. It seems there are a lot of people I know that have moved to the bigger city just out of hopes of finding a better job when in reality, most of these people don't realize what you mentioned. Also, the cost of living is so much more in Charlotte than in other rural parts of the state. It just leads to a bad situation in which many people can come here with great expectations but don't necessarily make it to the point where they can even get on their feet. There's nothing wrong with taking to time to plan things out and applying for jobs, willing to move after you're hired.
I think that a slightly different scenario applies to people who come from the Northeast Tri-state area (NY-NJ-CT). They see Charlotte as the shining city with cheap homes. My initial reaction when house-shopping in the Charlotte area compared to NJ, was "it's like buy one - get one free"! Many folks, especially younger ones, see those big buildings downtown and see a "new" New York City, not realizing that the NY metro area and its surroundings have 20 million people and not seeing that the Charlotte metro area could not possibly have as big a job base as they delude themselves into believing it has. That's why it is soo... important to remind people who consider moving here, not to make the leap unless they have a firm job offer. I suspect there are more than just a few people, who we never hear from on this forum, leaving Charlotte very disappointed and disillusioned!

Last edited by TheEmissary; 01-24-2008 at 03:08 PM.. Reason: sp

Old 01-24-2008, 02:44 PM

436 posts, read 951,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsjdaniels View Post

I say we send ppl to ****.com before they ask about neighborhoods :-)
Dude, thanks for the website. I did the quiz. Norfolk came in 1st (one of the Norfolk suburbs came in 9th). Charlotte came in 5th.

I answered the questionnaire as honestly as I could. Truth is, I love Norfolk. I said "dammit" when it popped up.

Hmmmmm.......

Old 01-25-2008, 08:43 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoking357 View Post
Dude, thanks for the website. I did the quiz. Norfolk came in 1st (one of the Norfolk suburbs came in 9th). Charlotte came in 5th.

I answered the questionnaire as honestly as I could. Truth is, I love Norfolk. I said "dammit" when it popped up.

Hmmmmm.......
Hee Hee. Well, that website is just a tool . . . come on down . . as long as you have a job b/f you get here!!!!

Old 01-25-2008, 01:23 PM

dont worry, Charlotte didnt come up first for me either....but i can't live somepleace that doesnt have a basketball team (pro)

Old 01-25-2008, 06:32 PM

355 posts, read 992,932 times
Why newcomers never think of temp agencies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte