U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 01:52 PM

307 posts, read 649,407 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are hoping to relocate to Charlotte and eventually buy a new home. We have looked at a few neighborhoods and I really love the DW homes. He liked Ryan homes but after doing a small amount of research they sound like a nightmare. Does anyone know anything about David Weekly? They seem great to me.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 03:02 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,343,527 times
I have a friend that owns one in a community in Union County. They have owned it since new for about 6 years now and are really happy. So much they are considering purchasing another one close by for investment.

As for Ryan homes I own one, my entire community was built by Ryan and everyone that we have spoken to has been very pleased. I work in the business and have a very diligent and picky inspector. He always comments on the quality of Ryan foundations, slabs, and framing.

I know there are people that have had bad experiences as with all builders but wanted to give you my personal experience.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:20 PM

673 posts, read 2,487,787 times
Ryan's customer service is excellent.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:05 PM

373 posts, read 1,361,992 times
I have a Ryan home in NC and am very pleased. I believe if you dig a little further, you will find that most (if not all) of the complaint were in the Northeast. I couldn't find any in this area.

Old 01-29-2008, 06:16 PM

3,163 posts, read 5,012,679 times
Ryan Homes in (Sutton Place) sold me a house on a lot that couldn't build on! I did get my money back however.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:59 PM

175 posts, read 148,917 times
Ryan Homes has been laying people off by the dozens in Charlotte and leaving their youngest, most inexperienced project managers to run things in their neighborhoods. They had already started to cut corners with materials and subs a while back. I suppose it's true that they're all doing this but my father used to work for them and is really saddned by what he's seen lately.

Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM

9,114 posts, read 16,136,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygirl34 View Post
Ryan Homes has been laying people off by the dozens in Charlotte and leaving their youngest, most inexperienced project managers to run things in their neighborhoods. They had already started to cut corners with materials and subs a while back. I suppose it's true that they're all doing this but my father used to work for them and is really saddned by what he's seen lately.
jerseygirl, they just had their 3rd round of layoffs and my PM sweated out this last one (round of layoffs).

However, its not a Ryan problem, (John Wieland has also had massive layoffs too), its an industry problem that's been going on well over a year like I've been saying.

Whoever the PM (Proj Mgr) is, you still need to stay on them if you want to get your issues resolved.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:43 PM

1,435 posts, read 5,343,527 times
Jack is right. One of my good friends is a Project Manager with Ryan. They moved him out of his community and thankfully transfered him to Multi-Family Development.

Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 PM

34 posts, read 94,821 times
I am currently working with David Weekley to build a home. So far they have been terrific. Their homes are beautiful and they have earned many national awards.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:26 PM

1,453 posts, read 4,787,422 times
I've sold a number of Ryan Homes and have had very good experiences with them. They stand behind their warranties and provide good customer service even with resales. However, David Weekly is a quality builder. I would say weight the odds and compare prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte