U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 AM
 
1 posts, read 3,321 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Have been in Charlotte many years and my wife and I love to experience new trends and tastes in the restuarants emerging as the city grows. After much anticipation, we have gone to GW Fins twice and while the ambiance was fine and the service nearly overwhelming, it justs seems to be another attempt to dress up and overcharge for seafood that we are all too familiar with. Yes, they do bring in the "rock star", hard to find items but even the most well-heeled gourmet has got to blink at $39+ for a plate of virtually unknown (but oh-so highly recommended by the waitstaff) fish. Oh, and that is it....no salad or sides accompany the entree; solo it is. Very nice wine selection with decent pours. I think there is too much sanely priced fare out there to justify another trip back but for those of you who love to dabble in the esoteric, exotic, and expensive, GW Fins may be your Mecca.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
 
124 posts, read 149,168 times
Reputation: 33
Here's an idea. Don't go. Problem solved.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 08:47 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,881 posts, read 73,199,636 times
Reputation: 22668
Quote:
Originally Posted by charsaw1 View Post
Have been in Charlotte many years and my wife and I love to experience new trends and tastes in the restuarants emerging as the city grows. After much anticipation, we have gone to GW Fins twice and while the ambiance was fine and the service nearly overwhelming, it justs seems to be another attempt to dress up and overcharge for seafood that we are all too familiar with. Yes, they do bring in the "rock star", hard to find items but even the most well-heeled gourmet has got to blink at $39+ for a plate of virtually unknown (but oh-so highly recommended by the waitstaff) fish. Oh, and that is it....no salad or sides accompany the entree; solo it is. Very nice wine selection with decent pours. I think there is too much sanely priced fare out there to justify another trip back but for those of you who love to dabble in the esoteric, exotic, and expensive, GW Fins may be your Mecca.
I agree. That is why we don't eat out often. I find food overpriced here as compared to other metro areas where we travel. I can go to an upscale restaurant in ATL, DC, CHI, LA and not have to pay these prices. So we save our money for when we travel. I think CLT market is overpriced.

Just MHO, but it is based on comparisons w/ other fine dining we experience all over the country. We do "special occasion" dining out here in CLT. Otherwise, the pecan-encrusted Talapia is gonna be made in my kitchen, Hee Hee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 08:50 AM
 
124 posts, read 149,168 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I agree. That is why we don't eat out often. I find food overpriced here as compared to other metro areas where we travel. I can go to an upscale restaurant in ATL, DC, CHI, LA and not have to pay these prices. So we save our money for when we travel. I think CLT market is overpriced.
That's actually not really accurate. I have been in ATL, Chicago and Dallas in the last 3 months and a simple lunch costs in excess of $20 per person. If you don't go out to eat much, you probably are not really aware of what it costs.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,881 posts, read 73,199,636 times
Reputation: 22668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19yearsincharlotte View Post
That's actually not really accurate. I have been in ATL, Chicago and Dallas in the last 3 months and a simple lunch costs in excess of $20 per person. If you don't go out to eat much, you probably are not really aware of what it costs.
Whatever. What an assumption to make. You have no idea about my epicurean experience, LOL. Geeeezzzz.

The average American eats out 5 times a week. Just b/c I do not do that doesn't mean I don't recognize quality and price. For example, here in CLT, my favorite restaurant is Noble's.

You may have the most sophisticated palate in the South, but that does not mean you should be condescending.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
11,838 posts, read 27,362,933 times
Reputation: 2800
Nobles has some great food, nice ambiance too. Where is GW Fins?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 09:54 AM
 
124 posts, read 149,168 times
Reputation: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Whatever. What an assumption to make. You have no idea about my epicurean experience, LOL. Geeeezzzz.

The average American eats out 5 times a week. Just b/c I do not do that doesn't mean I don't recognize quality and price. For example, here in CLT, my favorite restaurant is Noble's.

You may have the most sophisticated palate in the South, but that does not mean you should be condescending.
Moderator cut: flaming
If you had vast epicurian experience you would know that GW Fins prices and the fact that sides are seperate is not unusual at all, regardless of city. Plus, most of these places are chains, so the prices are pretty much the same everywhere.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: personal attack
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 11:18 AM
 
Location: State of Being
35,881 posts, read 73,199,636 times
Reputation: 22668
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19yearsincharlotte View Post
Moderator cut: flaming
If you had vast epicurian experience you would know that GW Fins prices and the fact that sides are seperate is not unusual at all, regardless of city. Plus, most of these places are chains, so the prices are pretty much the same everywhere.

Wow. Even "chains" such as Morton's do a la carte. Moderator cut: Flaming: Debate ideas not members of this forum

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 11:50 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 11:34 AM
 
2,481 posts, read 8,478,081 times
Reputation: 1967
"Here's an idea. Don't go. Problem solved."

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 01-30-2008 at 11:50 AM.. Reason: off topic
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2008, 12:18 PM
 
45 posts, read 201,673 times
Reputation: 26
Smile Just go simple

Some of the best food in Charlotte is on South Blvd. Try the ethnic places. In some of the latino places you'll get a fantastic authentic meal for around $6. Less if you order smaller. Same for Central Ave. There's cheap eats all over Charlotte, just not in "uptown".
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:02 AM.

© 2005-2022, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top