Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:06 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,093,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I think he will end up getting a lot of press coverage when he shows up, simply because our local stations will have "a celebrity" to report on, rather than the usual stories about a robbery, three car crashes and the possibility of it snowing in the next few days! Reverend Al -"the mouth that roared"!
I am sure you are right. But I want to know what purpose it serves for him to come here - other than creating a spectacle and the false impression that CLT is a racist city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 08:08 PM

355 posts, read 987,783 times
Thumbs up Smart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Cute Though I am sure you know what I meant I will rephrase -

They are very intelligent, educated folks who as African Americans are embarrassed Al Sharpton is also African American.
I AGREE AND I AM A AFRICAN-AMERICAN!

Old 01-24-2008, 10:12 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,308,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eccentricbeethoven View Post
I AGREE AND I AM A AFRICAN-AMERICAN!
Thank you for supporting my comment with your opinion

Old 01-24-2008, 10:23 PM

870 posts, read 3,514,559 times
Seems the local NAACP is pushing for Al to come to Charlotte while other African American leaders don't. Is their agenda now to divide a city? What good will this do?

Old 01-24-2008, 11:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,439,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am sure you are right. But I want to know what purpose it serves for him to come here - other than creating a spectacle and the false impression that CLT is a racist city.
ani - methinks' your "inner Lois Lane" hit the nail on the head! Self-aggrandizement and stirring up hornet's nests of unrest are Rev Al's stock and trade!

Old 01-25-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmdpanc View Post
Seems the local NAACP is pushing for Al to come to Charlotte while other African American leaders don't. Is their agenda now to divide a city? What good will this do?
I admit it. I do not subscribe to the CLT OBS. We get the WSJ daily and I usually pick up the OBS on Sunday. I read online local news from several sources, but I have missed the connection b/n NAACP and Sharpton. This disturbs me. Am I missing something? I didn't think I was an insensitive or stupid person, but I am wondering - is there some disenfranchisement in the AA community that I am unaware of? Am I living in some sort of blissful ignorance, thinking I am fully aware of this city's history and racial relations and all the while - there is anger seething under the surface and feelings that we all don't really get along here - that everyone's concerns and interests are not being recognized, addressed and met? To me, our social concerns here cross racial lines and have more to do w/ poverty than race (but am I not seeing something??)

I am confused. I had assumed - some fringe group decided bringing Sharpton in would stir up a PR frenzy and somehow further the cause to overshadow any misbehavior that took place w/ the Sheriff selection process . . . and turn this into something racial. But if, indeed, the NAACP is bringing Sharpton in . . . wh/ to me says - perhaps even paying for his trip - then I need an education. Someone tell me - what is going on in this city that I don't know about? I thought we were far past thinking about whose skin is what color. I know I don't care! Good people are good people and they are found everywhere, in every neighborhood . . . and good people come in every color, cultural background . . .

What is going on here? Can someone w/ more info and/or insight please educate me as it appears I need a crash course.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-25-2008 at 07:11 AM.. Reason: left out word

Old 01-25-2008, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I admit it. I do not subscribe to the CLT OBS. We get the WSJ daily and I usually pick up the OBS on Sunday. I read online local news from several sources, but I have missed the connection b/n NAACP and Sharpton. This disturbs me. Am I missing something?
Charlotte Observer | 01/21/2008 | Mackey rally planned; Sharpton invited (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/455817.html - broken link)
Dwayne Collins, Black Political Caucus, is the main event planner
Charlotte Observer | 01/24/2008 | Rev. Al Sharpton expected at rally (http://charlotte.com/112/story/460272.html - broken link)

Old 01-25-2008, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Charlotte Observer | 01/21/2008 | Mackey rally planned; Sharpton invited (http://www.charlotte.com/local/story/455817.html - broken link)
Dwayne Collins, Black Political Caucus, is the main event planner
Charlotte Observer | 01/24/2008 | Rev. Al Sharpton expected at rally (http://charlotte.com/112/story/460272.html - broken link)
Who is Collins? What is his profession? Anyone know?

These articles indicate that NAACP reps have been invited but does not state that the NAACP is organizing the rally. Of course, it would seem that the NAACP's appearance at the rally implies agreement w/ the cause. I also note that the speakers from NAACP are not from Charlotte. Hmmmmm.

Looks like a lot of outsiders being imported into CLT to stir things up. Wonder how the majority of the AA community feel about all this? Several people have stepped forward to say they did not even vote for Mackey, yet their names are on the voting list.

Perhaps the only disenfranchisement going on here is that the majority of the black community are having no voice - we are only hearing from a fringe group headed by Collins. Who is this guy? What does he hope to gain from all this?

Okay: did some searching - Collins is head of the Black Political Caucus here, and evidently was at one time (if not currently) Pres. of the Meck chapter of NAACP. Has run for political office but I have not dug out whether he has won an election or not, LOL. Another search for another day. Guess he is just into making headlines. How lame.

Last edited by brokensky; 01-25-2008 at 08:07 AM.. Reason: Added info.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:14 AM

couldn't find any articles in observer about the naacp but were interviewed on all the news channels last night talking about the rally in charlotte.

Who is Dwayne Collins? No idea! I do know that in 2005 he ran for District 3 school board against Lucille Puckett. She got more support from the Black Political Caucus which surprised Collins and his supporters so they actually held off on voting to support anyone until Collins could get more votes.
Sound vaguely familiar?

Old 01-25-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
couldn't find any articles in observer about the naacp but were interviewed on all the news channels last night talking about the rally in charlotte.

Who is Dwayne Collins? No idea! I do know that in 2005 he ran for District 3 school board against Lucille Puckett. She got more support from the Black Political Caucus which surprised Collins and his supporters so they actually held off on voting to support anyone until Collins could get more votes.
Sound vaguely familiar?
Yep. The picture is all coming together very clearly now. I am definitely getting that needed education. My superficial google search also brought up an article about light rail that contained quotes from Collins. Seems he likes the spotlight and enjoys seeing his name in print.

This all looks like a political ploy on his part to get more coverage so he can position himself to run for political office. SIGH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte