Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-22-2015, 07:56 AM

2 posts, read 6,883 times

Advertisements

Recently moved here (well, to the suburbs) from the DC area and was wondering if there are any movie theaters that show more than the Hollywood offerings to indulge my film watching hobby? I couldn't find any listed on Flixster other than Regal Cinemas Park Terrace Stadium 6 which occasionally has a couple of films the other theaters don't, but seemingly not for long. I'm skeptical there are but thought it couldn't hurt to ask just in case there is a hidden gem. If it helps to understand my question, what I'm talking about is something like Landmark E Street Cinema, Cinema Arts Theater, Angelika Film Center, AMC Shirlington (an AMC but for those movies only) that existed in DC and Northern VA. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,389,463 times
Maybe the Regal Cinemas Manor Twin on Providence Road? Also, check out the Charlotte Film Society: http://www.charlottefilmsociety.com/

Old 10-22-2015, 08:47 AM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,542 times
Park Terrace also shows independent films (in addition to Manor Twin)

Old 10-23-2015, 05:17 AM

430 posts, read 805,088 times
Ballantyne, which I think Regal, is independent.

Old 10-23-2015, 11:37 AM

53 posts, read 87,410 times
The Manor & Ballantyne used to be privately owned but are both Regal now. Last time I tried to see a movie at The Manor they refused to turn off the house lights during the movie for safety precautions. (There was no noone else was in the theatre).

Crownpoint (owned by Carolina Cinemas) occasionally hosts movies from the Back Alley Film Series. Unfortunately there's nothing in town that iomes close to offering the movies that you'd find at film meccas like The Angelika, Landmark E Street, Film Forum or IFC Center. Within driving distance, you can somethings find a few gems at A/perture Cinema in Winston Salem or Carolina Cinema in Durham.

Back Alley Film Series
a/perture cinema - winston-salem, nc - home
Films | Carolina Theatre - Downtown Durham, North Carolina

Old 10-23-2015, 01:01 PM

52,430 posts, read 26,682,784 times
We used to like going to independent films at the Manor back in the late 1990s but not so much anymore now that it is corporate. Every now and then there will be a film series held by various groups with great independent film. Keep the eye out for that.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:08 PM

1,763 posts, read 3,295,542 times
Manor Twin still shows movies that are shown in no other theater - currently it's the Malala movie (also showing at Ballantyne). Yes, they are Regal, but Regal is committed to bringing independent and foreign films to these theaters in Charlotte because the demand is there. I am a fan of foreign films - these are the only theaters to check. Any French or other subtitles films will be showing at these theaters.

http://www.regmovies.com/movies/cinema-art

Last edited by ex-burgher; 10-23-2015 at 01:19 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 05:11 PM

77 posts, read 137,483 times
Worth checking AMC Concord Mills and AMC Rea Rd in Ballentyne. They occasionally have a screen for independent films, and both have shown films from National Theatre Live which I highly recommend. (Just saw Hamlet, starring Benedict Cumberbatch, and just bought tickets for Judi Dench in A Winter's Tale through fandango.)

Old 10-23-2015, 10:37 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,357,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlegirltree View Post
Within driving distance, you can somethings find a few gems at A/perture Cinema in Winston Salem or Carolina Cinema in Durham.

Back Alley Film Series
a/perture cinema - winston-salem, nc - home
Films | Carolina Theatre - Downtown Durham, North Carolina
In addition to these, Geeksboro in Greensboro hosts interesting movies, lots of geeky/anime/sci-fi, but also some documentaries and other interesting titles.

The Chelsea in Chapel Hill also screens independent movies. They're showing Jafar Panahi's Taxi right now.

There is also a brand new Silverspot Theater (fancy pants) open in Chapel Hill that they say will have commercial movies, and also, operas, live theater and indy films: Silverspot

The Rialto in Raleigh is another one: The Rialto Theatre

You might also be interested in roadtripping for the annual Full Frame Documentary Film Festival in Durham

The Carmike in Morrisville (near Raleigh) shows quite a few Indian films (big Indian population in Morrisville)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Charlotte